best parametric (graphical) equaliser recording software PC

Xogroroth

Greetings:

I used to use Roxio Sound editor, as it used to have a good parametric Eq,
Lately though, since the last update of Roxio ... it became beyong "UGH" *Facepalm**drops knockout*.

Got APO, but the recording system does not accept it's input, ignores it entirely.

I use Virtual DJ, enough for my needs, but I cannot get it to accept APO 32band (which I need to deepen the lower bass frequencies output: bass is my life).

Does anyone have a GOOD graphical Parametric Eq. suggestion that runs with VDJ that has the lower bass frequency support?
Preferably graphical?

Thank you very much:
Xog.

Not familiar with your setup, but looking up APO EQ, I found a 31 band, 32 bit EQ. The 32 bit might be your problem if your PC is 64 bit. There is a 64 bit version of that program, maybe that is what you need to install.

Not familiar with your setup, ...
I am running 64 bit, sir.
Issue is: it sits in between the VDJ and the sound-out.
I need it in between sound-in and VDJ, so VDJ records the altered sound.
Now, there's no VDJ plug-in, and i can't get APO to run so the "line-in" with altered music enters VDJ.

This means, I need to find a good alternative to APO, that I can place before the sound enters VDJ, OR that has a VDJ plug-in ...

Thank you, good sir.

Reaper is coming with some problems, which I looked for, asked on for instance Reddit, but no real help.
Fixed all but 2, of which one a real issue.

Issue is, that when I start recording ... sound is not there anymore.
I do not hear what I am recording, and due to this I cannot adjust settings on the fly when needed, resulting in quite a few songs going bad (volume issues, Equaliser issues, ...).

The responses thusfar were:
1) Google for it.
Yields no solution to this specific issue.
Oddly, I find quite a few questions about this, but never a solution.
Typical, I guess.
Answers given are those I get as well.
2) Watch video [X] where [X] is whatever video.
None, however, speaks of this specific issue.
3) Found Reaper instruction video's addressing a plethora of things, quite very elaborate, really ... NONE then addresses this issue.

I know this is a "simple" base set up issue, but I just can't figure it out how to get audio while recording.
Funny, since, as long as a song isn't armed, and Recording is pressed, I DO have sound.
Which is darn illogical.
It's ALREADY illogical being incapable of audio during recording.

Another issue that is so odd, is a missing button to disengage the mic when needed.
I need to literally unplug the mic, before i go recording, not doing so will add the noise registered by the mic. :(
What a BIZARRE oversight that is!!!

But this is less important, the important issue is being unable to get audio during recording.
If anyone knows where the issue is, please help me.

Thank you.
Xog.

This is a setup and routing issue. I don't use reaper, so I can't give you specifics.

Look in the manual for monitoring. This will explain how to set up record monitoring.

Most of the time, people use the zero latency monitoring on their audio interface to hear what they are doing while in record mode. That is why the sound stops when you are recording. You either have to use the monitoring on your interface, or you have to set up reaper to monitor through the program.

If you don't want the sound of the mic in the recording, don't route that input to the track that you are recording to.

Most of the time, people use the zero latency monitoring on their audio interface to hear what they are doing while in record mode.
That is why the sound stops when you are recording.
You either have to use the monitoring on your interface, or you have to set up reaper to monitor through the program.
Thank you for responding, good Sir ...
Annoyingly, the "booklet/Manual" (or I missed it entirely not getting what it was about due to my "highly skilled professional idiocy/ignorance" in the matter) did not speak (clearly) of it.
As said, I am not even remotely a sound engineer, though I did some work for a few friends, "song" manipulation for which I used the DEAD-simple but highly effective Roxio Sound Editor, which still is in the package, but has lost it's "power"/ability in specific sound editing without touching other parts (Parametric EQ), making it "useless" for my "work".
And I have quite strong Asperger's (Autism, I am "an ASS", apparently. :P )

Thus, was looking for a replacement, but these are "phenomenally hard" to get working decent (seeing my Uber-Noober level in these programs) to set up.
Your explanation above, is due to me Uber-Noober level in these matters, then sounding a tad as alien speech. :P
1) Latency Monitoring:
What is this, and what might it look like, please?
2) Audio Interface:
Issue is: it sits in between the VDJ and the sound-out.
I need it in between sound-in and VDJ, so VDJ records the altered sound.
Now, there's no VDJ plug-in, and i can't get APO to run so the "line-in" with altered music enters VDJ.

This means, I need to find a good alternative to APO, that I can place before the sound enters VDJ, OR that has a VDJ plug-in ...

Thank you, good sir.
Now, as I darn clearly show: Me are sdoopit in this matter.
"APO (my PEQ) "sits" in-between ..."
However moronic placed, I mean, I can hear it work when playing music with VDJ, but when recording the PEQ ain't recorded.
And there was no obvious work-around.
If I were to go in Hi-Fi tower speech: I have my PEQ in between the System (Phonograph/Cassette Deck/CD-PLayer/Radio) Out and the Pre-Amp/Amp In.

Went to Reaper to fix this, with it's cost, but now, I can hear music play, using my plug-ins, until I record.

Which is EXTREMELY illogical, I fail to get how one can record material while unable to hear it?
This should have been in such way, that it could be untoggled, but ACTIVE as base installation setting: Thus that I can hear this play during the Recording Stage.
The lack of Mic On-Off button in the UI as well is EXTREMELY illogical: The need to dive into settings to On or Off it, madness, highly unprofessional.
That logic aside: Even for Ease of Use, and simplicity overall, it would have been highly logical to have it in the base UI?

Not so important.
Interface: generally spoken, how to set this up?
As is:
MSI Realtek.png
MSI Realtek 1.png

Reaper Pref Device.pngReaper Pref Playback.pngReaper Pref Recording.png

Possible suggestions, Sir?

Wait. Are you just plugging into the computers input? You need an audio interface, usually a USB device with mic and line inputs. That will have the zero latency monitoring so you can hear what is being recorded without any delay (latency)

If you need to record through a plugin, that plugin need to be placed on an input channel. And the input channel need to be set up to monitor while recording (usually a button on that channel)

Normally when you record something, you plug a mic into the audio interface, plug the headphones into the interface and you will be able to hear what is coming into the interface separately from what is happening in the daw. That is why reaper defaults to turning off the input signal during recording. It's so you don't hear it twice. (Once from the interface and once from the daw)

A lot of the problems you are having come from not having the right tool for the job. The built in sound on a computer are fine for zoom meetings and listening to YouTube videos, but it does not have the features necessary for real audio work.

192k is a silly high sample rate. 44.1k and 48k are perfectly fine.

BTW, what is a VDJ?

No, the hi-fi was an analogy, Sir.
I do not record outside the PC.

All is on my PC, Sir.
Music, program to play and record are the same.

VDJ: Virtual DJ. :)

Farview speaks words of wisdom, so its worth heading his advice.

Using your PC's internal sound and its inputs and outputs are not going to give you much joy if you want to record more seriously than just tinkering around. An audio interface is designed specicially for recording; to allow full duplex audio, which is being able to efficently playback material while recording new material.

When you use an interface, it takes the place of your internal audio. All inputs plug into it (mikes etc), as do all outputs (headphones, speakers). It provides you with a means of direct monitoring your input when recording, while at the same time hearing what has already been recorded.

Reaper (as do other DAWS) provides you with software monitoring, which is its default setting for recording.

Software monitoring has an inherent delay (latency) because of the processing involved. Latency will depend on how fast your machine can process the audio. Latency is typically very high when using internal audio.

Back