Best of Syd Barrett

Syd had something precious, but no more than many 21 year olds have. He just had the ability and the desire and the opportunity to express it, which is more than most have. This idealisation of particular persons is misguided.

Having said that, I'd rather listen to Syd than to 99% of commercial, production-line, conveyor-belt music. At least he was real and original, though he ultimately destroyed his originality by his uncomprimising pursuit of intensity of experience far beyond that which is tolerable while still remaining sane

Last edited:
Syd had something precious, but no more than many 21 year olds have. He just had the ability and the desire and the opportunity to express it, which is more than most have. This idealisation of particular persons is misguided.

Having said that, I'd rather listen to Syd than to 99% of commercial, production-line, conveyor-belt music. At least he was real and original, though he ultimately destroyed his originality by his uncomprimising pursuit of intensity of experience far beyond that which is tolerable while still remaining sane

Deep Tim x3 Deep.

:cool:

Well I think Syd is a metaphor for all of life in a way. How do we find the right balance between dreams and reality, between hope and reason? Between living a "normal" life and taking vast quantities of powerful mind-altering drugs as Syd did?

Everything should be taken in moderation.
From lifes pleasures down to the basics. Air, food, water anything can kill ya.

:cool:

Syd Barrett was the lead singer, lead guitarist and main songwriter of the band that changed my musical headspace 31 years ago ~ the Pink Floyd (as they were known back in Syd's day).
The band that changed my musical headspace
But as great as Syd could have been or was on the way to being, I think that rock writers have immortalized rock's first acid casualty wrongly and done Rick Wright, Nick Mason and Roger Waters a terrible disservice. The Floyd were a band, and those first two albums ('Piper' and 'Saucerful') are usually presented as A)the debut being super Syd's super songs and three faceless drongos and B)the transition album of a band in disarray as their creative genius wellspring fell apart.
Bollocks to that ! While the debut couldn't have been made without Syd, neither could it have been made without Wright, Waters and Mason. Wright and Waters were already writing songs on the debut {Wright's "Remember a day" was left off and turned up on the second LP} and were challenging Syd's output by the second album with excellent quality songs. Truth be told, Syd Barrett had one great album in him {The Piper at the gates of dawn} and didn't have the necesaries needed to consistently knock out good stuff. The others {and Dave Gilmour} did.

Back