Best Mic(s) for an acoustic

Acousti-Playa

Hey everyone, im a newbie to this board, but glad to be here. I was wondering what some suggestions would be for either 1 or 2 condensers for around $400 that would be good for recording some acoustic guitar, mostly strumming, some finger picking. Thanks

Cardiod should do it. Maybe hypercardiod, but only if you think you'll be tracking other things at the same time in close proximity (like if you want to sing and play at the same time, etc.). Definitely get the -10 db pad.

I've had really good luck lately with a pair of 603's (1 at the 12th fret and 1 at the treble side of the bridge ) and an SP B3 about 2 feet away. That seems to capture a really sound for both strumming and finger picking. That setup would run you right around your budget, and would be extremely versatile.

I have an AT 3035. Record mostly all acoustic guitars and vox with it. It is simply AMAZING! 179.00, worth every penny.

In the price range you have, either the 012's (cardiod caps) or the 603's. I have to say I have no personal experience with the 603's but folks with ears i trust think they're very simular to the Octavas (which I have a lot of experience).

Do a search, recently someone posted a link to a place that is selling matched pairs of 603s with shock mounts and an alum case for $176. Thats the route I'd go unless I had at least $400. Then I'd definitely consider the multipattern Oktavas or a pair of AT 4041s.

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but why does no one ever suggest the use of two matching (or not matching for that matter) ld condensers for miking an acoustic guitar?

mkeene said:
Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but why does no one ever suggest the use of two matching (or not matching for that matter) ld condensers for miking an acoustic guitar?

Personally, I just don't think they sound quite as good most of the time. Unless you're going for a particular color (sometimes tube condensers can have a very cool sound on accoustic).

IMO, either can be used. But, small diaphragm mic's are normally faster, and more accurate than large diaphragm mic's, and don't normally add off-axis coloration like LD mics do. That's why most people here (including myself) recommend small diaphragm condenser mic's for accoustic instruments. But, try them both, and use the one's you like.

Last edited:
I'll throw in my 2cents: I almost always use large diaphragm condensers on acoustic guitar (which means I almost never use small diaphragms). It's all a matter of personal taste - I just love the way the Lawson L47 sounds on guitar. In a complex mix, I'll just use the one mic aroundthe 13th fret.

For solo guitar, looking for more of a stereo image, I'll add a second mic on the sound hole side. Sometimes a Gefell UMT800, or maybe a TLM 103 or a BLUE Mouse. Occasionally I've even used an AT 4060, though usually I'll go with a brighter mic to counteract soundhole boominess. But the Lawson always gets first call on the fret side.

Back