Best Mic for snare other than sm57?

slickshoe62

I just wanted to know what everyone else uses for the snare.
I was thinking of trying a ADK vienna witn the pad and cut engaged.
If anyone has had luck with the ADK Vienna on snare feedback would be much appreciated!

General consesus seems to be that the Beyer M-201 makes for an ideal snare mic. Other favorites include Senheiser MD-441 and Audio Technica ATM23HE.

Large Diaphragm condensers can sound fine, but they're generally too sensitive and not directional enough, so you don't wind up with very ideal isolation -- lots of hi-hat bleed.

Track Rat said:
Besides a 57, I like an AKG C-1000 or a Sennheiser 441.

Careful there, Track Rat. When I got here a few weeks ago, I almost kicked off the forum for mentioning I have C-1000's. They're not very popular in there parts, I reckon. I had no idea they sucked so bad until I got here.:)

I often use AKG D320B or Sennheiser e835 with good results. For a brighter snare sound, I use Electrovoice EV N/D257. The D320B is a discontinued hypercardioid dynamic with a 2 stage bass cut. For most applications, it's the snare mic I've got. I don't own the Beyerdynamic, but it is on my wish list. If the floor is really dead, I'll add a C414B-ULS, bass cut and padded, phase reversed, on the bottom, to pick up the highs from the snares that aren't comming back from the floor. I only use the EV on wooden shells with a really dead sound.-Richie

RAMI said:
Careful there, Track Rat. When I got here a few weeks ago, I almost kicked off the forum for mentioning I have C-1000's. They're not very popular in there parts, I reckon. I had no idea they sucked so bad until I got here.:)

If they're good on just one thing, then technically they don't suck. All it means is that they've been widely mis-used.

RAMI said:
I had no idea they sucked so bad until I got here.:)
It didn't occur to you to use your ears?

You must not own one.

I do, and I've found it's non-suckage factor to be up there with any mic I own.

ssscientist said:
It didn't occur to you to use your ears?
You must not own one.

Jesus, man. So much for sarcasm. I guess one smiley wasn't enough.

You're right....I don't own one...I own two, and I like them very much, regardless of what I've read here. That was the point I was trying to make.

Beyer m69...and it can be a great Neil Young / Harvest-era kick drum mic, too.

FWIW, I really like c1000's as a compliment to a LDC on acoustic guitar, especially for arpeggiated stuff where you want some bite. I know of at least one very respected person who uses them as go-to mics on guitar cabs, too. And for field recordings...I don't think you can beat them.

I gotta agree about the Beyer 201 on snare.Its always going to sound just like the source. Its a great overall mic.The Audix i5 is quite good. I'm very partial to my 30 year old Unidyne III 57's.I have two left I've been able to hang onto over the years.I also have three 'newer' ones...still Amer. made...They do not sound the same...Not bad...Different.The post about using LDC's on a snare is spot on.They sound really good, its just theres TOO MUCH of everything around it.

I compared my ATM23HE with the M201 in RE's studio. He could hear subtle differences, I could not. We both agreed the ATM23HE works well for snare.

The ATM23HE and Audix D3 do well on snare for me. Both are tight hypercardioid, and more deaf to the surrounding bleed than either the SM57 or the typical LDC. I use all hypercardioid mics for kick, toms, and snare for bleed control.

Last week I used an EV 308 for the snare. I started with an SM57, but was getting too much hi-hat. I switched to the EV 308, which is hyper-cardioid, and the hi-hat nearly disappeared. The tone of the snare was much better than the '57 as well. I also wound up using an AKG c451 on the bottom of the snare.

EV 408a

EV N/D 408a or its updated version, the 468. With my little mount off the hat stand I can angle right in to several sweet spots and still not have to worry about the cymbals bleeding in. And I've been meaning to try a little top-and-bottom action now that I've bought the 468 for more snare scratch.

Plus the EVs are nearly indestructible. Love 'em.

Back