Best Mic for Rock vocals under 150$?

Studio projects B1, or MXL V67G. you are wanting to record correct??? you typically want a condenser mic for recording vocals. I definitely see where an sm 57 would come in handy... especially for extremely harsh voices.

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:
Studio projects B1, or MXL V67G. you are wanting to record correct??? you typically want a condenser mic for recording vocals. I definitely see where an sm 57 would come in handy... especially for extremely harsh voices.

Jacob

Not always true. The SM7 is a large dynamic touted to be for vocals, as is the RE20 from EV. Lots of great vocal recordings are made using these and the SM57 and 58 for. Ribbon mics make some of my favorite vocals as well. There's no rule that says Condensors are best for recording vocals... An SM58 is easier to use, usually cheaper, more durable, and probably more versatile (doesn't need phantom) than either the B1 or V67...

And if your budget goes up to 150 I'd take a look at the Studio Projects C1 before th B1 or V67 - it was my first LDC.

Jacob

Can we just pin a thread call "Best Mic For" and put generic answers in it? That way the 15 "Best mic for rap/rock/guitar/snare/etc." that get posted a week and just be pointed there? Then, when they actually want to learn about mics they can post out here. (Sorry, have just seen too many best mic for X hreads lately.)

Jacobi1211 said:
you are wanting to record correct??? you typically want a condenser mic for recording vocals.

Jacob

Michael Jackson didn't think so...

bubbagump said:
Can we just pin a thread call "Best Mic For" and put generic answers in it? That way the 15 "Best mic for rap/rock/guitar/snare/etc." that get posted a week and just be pointed there? Then, when they actually want to learn about mics they can post out here. (Sorry, have just seen too many best mic for X hreads lately.)

Welcome to the message board. These thread will never stop being made. I'd try and get used to it.

Are you talking for studio recording or live use?

I use a Studio Project C1 and like it a lot. I got it for $150 used.

Click Here to stream a song from my CD I recorded in my home studio. Vox are a Studio Projects C1 into a PreSonus Firepod. That could give you some point of reference.

So we just start recommending condensors and large dynamics, and we dont even know what gear - IF ANY - this guy has. He is 17 yrs young, admits to being a total newb, and we got him buying condensors to plug into his what? For all we know he is sitting there with a guitar and amp and 4 track cassette, wondering how to get a little scream thing going on tape.

And he did use the words "recording thing" in his question post.....

So.....Heartbeat.......you got any more details? What gear you already have? How much money you can spend? Is $150 the limit just for a mic? Or for everything? What you want to accomplish with the "recording thing"?? We know you have a closet, maybe a guitar and bass, what else??

really??? no shit??? i know man. that's why i said TYPICALLY!!! that's also why i said that an sm57 could come in handy. and many would argue that a B1 is just as versitile if not more versitile with a better, more accurate sound in the studio. so, sure... i know your point. that's exactly why i included it in my statement to begin with!!! haha. a little reading never hurt anyone.

by the way, the sm58 is exactly the same price as the B1 and the V67G... nice try though. $99

also, sure... ribbon mics are great. but they are typically very colored. that is afterall, why we like them so much. but, you talk about needing versatility, and ease of use...??? you must be very careful when handling ribbon mics so not to snap the ribbon (less careful than you would have to be with an older ribbon mic) and you can blow them with phantom power. not to mention, there are very few of them under $150... and the ones that are are chineese and watch out, here's the word again TYPICALLY not worth what you'll give for them.

very good point soundchaser. it would be very useful to know some more background on your applications. computer based??? tape deck??? if computer based, what interface do you have... or are you using the sound card??? hope we've helped in some way.

Jacob

Is there a difference between the V67 and V67G? I'm looking for a decent vocal mic to record. I don't think I'll be micing and acoustic just yet... I'll prolly plug direct for that.... Also I read in the FAQ that the B1 is more monotone and neutral as opposed to the V67 which is a bit more colorful and warm

aghstisbrn said:
Is there a difference between the V67 and V67G? I'm looking for a decent vocal mic to record. I don't think I'll be micing and acoustic just yet... I'll prolly plug direct for that.... Also I read in the FAQ that the B1 is more monotone and neutral as opposed to the V67 which is a bit more colorful and warm

Nope, no diff. I would say that from my experience, I liked the V67 better on vocals and the B1 better on Acoustic.

Jacob

ya, V67G i think the G just stands for either gold or green... no difference in the mic except color. Jacob is right, the MXL is usually flattering for vocals because it is colored. if i were you i would go with the least colored mic you can get in your price range, and then you can play with your EQ if you really want a certain sound of a certain source. I would not suggest doing the acoustic guitar direct input if you can avoid it... i personally think it sounds horrible, and if you have any mic at all it should sound better to mic it than to direct input it. may just be me, but it sounds extremely false and thin as direct input.

Jacob

hmm I'm debating between the v67 and the B1, my friend has the B1 and he says its fine for what hes recording. However this is his first mic soo he doesnt really have anything really to compare it with. As far warmth and color of the v67 is it any good for recording acoustic guitars or tube amps? Or is it mainly a vocal mic? It seems as if the B1 would be my best bet, for an all around mic... but this warmth and coloring of vocals with the v67 seem very inticing! CHoices! One more question how about if I were to get a Art tube mp to connect with the B1? would that improve the vocal qualities of the mic? thanks

thanks for the site lancebug! I was able to find a B1 and V67 recoding a Larrivee acoustic... The V67 seems a lot brighter or trebly, however I seem to enjoy the B1 more! thanks!

aghstisbrn said:
hmm I'm debating between the v67 and the B1, my friend has the B1 and he says its fine for what hes recording. However this is his first mic soo he doesnt really have anything really to compare it with. As far warmth and color of the v67 is it any good for recording acoustic guitars or tube amps? Or is it mainly a vocal mic? It seems as if the B1 would be my best bet, for an all around mic... but this warmth and coloring of vocals with the v67 seem very inticing! CHoices! One more question how about if I were to get a Art tube mp to connect with the B1? would that improve the vocal qualities of the mic? thanks

If your friend has the B1, buy the V67 and borrow the B1. Both are great mics in that price range.

Pete

soundchaser59 said:
So we just start recommending condensors and large dynamics, and we dont even know what gear - IF ANY - this guy has. He is 17 yrs young, admits to being a total newb, and we got him buying condensors to plug into his what? For all we know he is sitting there with a guitar and amp and 4 track cassette, wondering how to get a little scream thing going on tape.

And he did use the words "recording thing" in his question post.....

So.....Heartbeat.......you got any more details? What gear you already have? How much money you can spend? Is $150 the limit just for a mic? Or for everything? What you want to accomplish with the "recording thing"?? We know you have a closet, maybe a guitar and bass, what else??

-Acid Pro 6
-Creative Pro E-MU 0404 Soundcard
-Crate Halfstack
-Schecter PT Blackjack
-A slew of pedals
-PC with Windows XP pro

The mic will be getting plugged directly into the soundcard or plugged into my digitech pedal.(I know that lugging it into my pedal is gay but it works.)

And I only have 150 for a mic.

And Im new into the whole recording thing but very experienced in terms of guitar and all that shit.

I know you you say you know it... but really, plugging a mic into a Digitech pedal will suck as the impedance will be all sideways. Better bet would be to spend $100 on a mic (B1, MXL, Sm57/58, etc.) and get a cheapo pre from ART or whoever for $50.

Back