Best Dual Tube Compressor and Mic Pre

thecongo

What is the best one? I need to get something to retain some tube flavor in my mixdowns and something that will sound good heading into the board. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't have alot of money to blow out, so anything used or not top of the line is just fine as well. Thanks!

Gee, Chess--I think a pair of those might be slightly out of congo's budget. I knew that dual tube post would draw you in though!:D

How much ya wanna spend, thecongo? Let's start there.

Well, the guy asked for "the best," so I was merely suggesting what I felt might fit that criteria. :D

Best affordable tube pre and comp? That's tough, but the closest thing I can think of would be the mindprint envoice. Even those are only single-channel, so he's likely have to shell out close to a grand for a couple of channels if he wants something decent.

Then again, I suppose there's the DTC . . .

http://www.mindprint.com/english/indexproducts.htm

Is it illegal to rim dead goats where you live and if so how do you avoid prosecution? Just curious.

Sorry to cause any confusion...I'm just looking for a combination tube pre and compressor, so I can both use them during tracking and during mixdown. Last night I was a tad tired and I can't word things correctly. I am looking to spend under a grand, but let me hear what you guys have to say.

Congo,

There are very few combinations like that out there. Micpres and compressors are somewhat different entities, and they do not often come in the same box.

Unless you're buying a complete recording channel.

And even few'er of those are stereo devices.

I think you'd be better off buying two boxes; one dual micamp and one stereo compressor.

If you buy to independent mono micpre/comp units, you may have trouble getting the compressors tracking for stereo..

We manufacture and sell tube devices like the mentioned (in Denmark), and on our webpage there is details of these types of units..

Best regards,

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

The Great River has NO compressor-section in it...

I agree with Dot, the TL Audio C1 is probably your best bet. It can provide phantom power to mics as well.
The MindPrint DTC are 2 complete channelstrips with 4 band parametric EQ's, ofcourse this one is a bit more expensive as well... around $2000.

Okay...I just had to blow out some 500 for an insurance premium to get my car fixed. So now I have $450 left to get new equipment. Now I'm thinking of getting a HHB Radius 3 and forgoing a new mic pre or a RNC and a RNMP together. What do you guys think?

I'm not set on strictly tube gear, I just really prefer the way that they sound compared to solid state electronics, but thats just me. I'm pretty much in for anything that I can use to warm up my mixes and something I can use to add some decent compression.

Right now I have some old DBX compression modules I picked up, they sound good, I just want to shake my sound up and get some more unique character to my mixes over all.

In addition, what are peoples opinion on Bellari units like their tube compressors and tube preamps?

thecongo said:
I'm not set on strictly tube gear...

Good, that opens up your possibilities.

...I just really prefer the way that they sound compared to solid state electronics, but thats just me.

Listen to an Avalon V737 and a Neve 1073 some time, and tell me which is the solid state design and which is the tube design. You might be suprised.

I'm pretty much in for anything that I can use to warm up my mixes and something I can use to add some decent compression.

Right now I have some old DBX compression modules I picked up, they sound good, I just want to shake my sound up and get some more unique character to my mixes over all.

Cool. How "funky" do you want to get? Are you looking for something subtle and "hi-fi" or something dirty and wild?

Back