Best Compressor for BASS recording. (pedal or rack)

Proveras

I like my recordings.
Hi, everybody.

I´m looking for a compressor to record BASS.

I have been recording bass
just thru my tech 21 SansAmp bass DI.

I have seen some options like this ones:

PEDALS:
- Tech21 Bass Compactor Compressor w/EQ <- I trust in Tech21
- EBS Multi-Comp Dual-Band Compressor
- Akai C2M HexaComp Pedal <- - - cool!
- Guyatone BL-2 Bottom Limiter Compressor/Limiter for Bass
- Guyatone TC-X Flip Series Tube Compressor Pedal

RACK:
- dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate
- Behringer MDX2200 Composer® Pro

it will be JUST for bass.
I'm in the range of the $160 for this toy.

thanks.

Ah my favorite topic… bass compression

If I were you I would consider a multiband compressor witch is several compressors acting on different frequencies at once. I have a Rane DC-24 Rack mounted unit.

This looks like a nice deal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...7559517/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/153056/

as does this albeit a single band..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...5017559517/search/g=home/detail/base_id/58947

Also I have had good luck with the EBS product but do not own their compressor

good luck
john

Thanks john.

yeah, a multiband compressor its a very nice option.

what about this one from akai??
have anybody try it??

its a $70 multiband compressor....
what can I expect from it??

also, a straight compressor (FullBW) can make a clean recording of the bass track, and then play with the multiband compressor in the computer, or maybe, with the Parametric eq.

I think that the Tech21 Bass Compactor Compressor w/EQ will not help a lot, cause it will add some noise if i conect it to the sansamp Bass DI, cause both add the ACTIVE tones to the bass signal. the bass players will have to play very carefully, and they are not that way.

just some ideas.

what other opinions about compressor units for BASS do you have???

the RNC looks good,
is it as great as they said it is??

it is now in the options,
also I can use it every where else.

Yes the RNC is as great as they say

I just used mine with a sansamp Bass DI going in the mackie and out through the insert to the RNC and then the DAW. It was fabulous. The bass what the tightest and punchiest yet and it was very controlled. Of course that is only half the equation as the bass player factors in greatly and i am learning the benefits of economics of motion on bass for a superior bass sound (courtesy of Steve Bailey). Forget the Behringer and the DBX and get the RNC. you can get it on ebay for 175 shipping included new from humbucker music. Peter

I use the ART levelar for bass recording. Ive seen that presonus bluemax has bass inputs and settings just for bass. But If I had the money Id get the RNC.

I may do that in the near future.

well, its done.

RNC will be my new friend.

Thanx for your replys.
I really need an all around compressor.

now, its time to use the credit card
and trust the internet to buy it.

I thought the RNC wasn't so great. FMRaudio's website said in making such a great unit, eventually something was gonna lose out- and it was the bass player

hey bruce,
I have seen some of your replys in other threads.
you said you like the RNC, very clear and transparent.

bass will be the principal use of it,
but I am thinking in the Overheads too.
(if I buy a rack unit, cause there are some pedal options)

I want to rec a clean track, without worry of distorcion,
and then use plugins for multiband compression or maybe a little parametric eq and limiting, maximizer/enhacer.
as always its best to record what you want to hear, but some times I need some digital tools to make the job and the mix.

maybe, the "transparency" of the RNC works well for me.
I have not tested before.

the DBX 160a its out of my range. ($400)

Hey Poveras.

How do you like that Tech 21 DI for direct recording? I need something. Have been eyeballing that, but have not experienced it yet. Do you find that you have a pretty good range of tones available? Thanks in advance,

Fangar

Proveras,

I am not sure if this will be of help but I was never happy with my SansAmp Bassdriver into my 4-track but I picked up an Art TubePac and put it in after the bass DI and now it sounds warm, fat and punchy and I am much happier.

I don't think the TubePac will get great reviews here as a dedicated overall compressor and I have also heard the RNC as great as it is does not do bass so well.

The TubePac does claim to have some compressor function but it is a one knob adjustment. There is not an independant controll for attack and release times, ratio's etc.

Personally I feel a lot of todays bass tracks are compressed to death and have too little dynamic variety and I try to use as little as possible unless the style of a song just calls for it.

You might want to re-evaluate if you are truly looking/needing bass compression because of too much dynamic range or if you are just wanting to improve your bass sound from the straight SansAmp DI sound. I have read in some other threads of others using an inexpensive ART Tube mic pre on bass with suprisingly good results.

Bruce (and I respect his judgement most of the time) generally disses any tube gear under $1000 retail as "faux" tube gear but I have had good results with the SansAmp/TubePac combo so far.

Scooter B said:
Bruce (and I respect his judgement most of the time) generally disses any tube gear under $1000 retail as "faux" tube gear but I have had good results with the SansAmp/TubePac combo so far.
Actually... for the record, if "faux" tube works for someone - then I think they should use it!

But I also think they should know what they're using - it may be the sound they want, but it AIN'T tube in that case!

If they DO know what they're using and they make it work for them, all the better!

;)

Bruce

Tech21 SansAmp

Fangar,

I really like the sansamp.
When I first buy it, I decide between this one and a Bass POD.
POD have a lot of more options, but I decide a nice, clean, really BASS sound.

very nice sound, of course,
depending of the bass guitar you are using and always recording with new strings.

I have been recording ROCK bands, and it have the sound.

BUT, I have been using compression and limiting in the computer, and the bass, I think its one of the more dynamic intruments to rec, of course the voice is too.

so I want a compressor/limiter just to avoid noise peaks when recording and then using compression and/or limiting in the computer.

Tech21 Bass DI its a very good piece of gear.
Try it at your store.

also,
cool words Bruce. Big Engineer you are.

Scooter B,
Thanx for the advice,
well, I do like the Bass driver straight to my mackie board.
I need a comp/lim just to control the input dynamics to rec it.

Thats why I was thinking that the RNC could do a good job,
for its transparency, even I was thinking in a bass pedal compressor, like the ones I listed before.

but after read your reviews about the RNC using it in bass,
I think I will use a Behringer comp in very gentle and low sets to keep a clean track when slapping the bass and keep using plugin compressors.

Thanks Bruce for your honest input...that works for me.

Being that my recording will always be strictly as a hobby and will never generate any income what so ever I will never be able to justify spending $1,000 on any single piece of gear.

I do want to get a DAW like the Yamaha 2816 or a Roland System eventually and I will have to bend the rules for that and convince the wife but that will be years from now.

RE: Using faux tube gear if it works for you and knowing what you are using.

All I know is that I have recorded in four different professional studio's in Oklahoma City and never was happy with the bass sound they produced. I bought the SansAmp after the four track and it was still lacking something and sounded very "processed". I added the TubePac and it is the best recorded bass sound I have achieved so it does work for me ans it is 10x better than anything found in the local studios. It was this frustration with lousy recorded bass tones in the studio when I was happy with my live sound that got me interested in doing home recording.

Personally I don't care alot if the tube truly draws enough current to rise above the faux stage but I do want to be careful with the little I do have to spend....I did unfortunately buy not one but two 3630's (used at least) before I had a computer and had access to this site. I was relieved to find out it wasn't just me that could not find any good sounds with it and now have an RNC :) but I don't expect to use it for bass.

Unfortunately I get the impression that a lot of people hear about compressing bass and believe it is the instant cure for flat sounding bass tones with out understanding what a compressor actually does.

Re: Tech21 SansAmp

Proveras said:
Fangar,

I really like the sansamp.
When I first buy it, I decide between this one and a Bass POD.
POD have a lot of more options, but I decide a nice, clean, really BASS sound.

very nice sound, of course,
depending of the bass guitar you are using and always recording with new strings.

I have been recording ROCK bands, and it have the sound.

BUT, I have been using compression and limiting in the computer, and the bass, I think its one of the more dynamic intruments to rec, of course the voice is too.

so I want a compressor/limiter just to avoid noise peaks when recording and then using compression and/or limiting in the computer.

Tech21 Bass DI its a very good piece of gear.
Try it at your store.

also,
cool words Bruce. Big Engineer you are.

Thanks for the input. I will look into it.

Fangar

Fangar,
check out the mixing clinic,
I just start a thread.

-> OK, here we go.

I use the TECH21 DI in bass,
straight to the board and using plugin compressors.

it was a Washburn bass (economic one), new strings.

Back