Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB mixer send to AUM for fx?

fidoly

Is it designed to do this, or can it only send via USB to the mixer? Is there no USB bus or am I missing something? In other words, it plays though all the preamps, and sends outputs the audio from AUM, but I want to use AUM as an fx bus, is this possible?

"
The XENYX mixer line has built-in USB connectivity, allowing stereo signals to
be sent to and from the mixer and a computer. The audio sent from the mixer to
a computer is identical to the MAIN MIX. Audio being sent to the mixer from a
computer can be routed to the main mix with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN button"

That's it for USB I am afraid. The mixer is very limited in its USB facilities, it is just I think designed for a band to get a scratch recording of a gig.
There is another downside to these '1st gen' USB mixers, they often generate a low level, c-50dB 'whine' at around 6kHz. If you get this, come back and I can guide you through a way to minimize it, i.e push it into the noise floor which is about -85dBFS.

If you have just bought the mixer new and it does not do what you want or thought it might you could return it and look again? However, to get a mixer with proper 'multi-track' capability is going to cost you an AWFUL lot more than that Berry! Look for instance at the Zoom L20. All that said, it is not a bad mixer. The mic pre have more gain than you will find on most interfaces and better headroom. Noise and distortion is also very low. I have the non USB version feeding my M4 and it does not make it worse!

Dave.

"
The XENYX mixer line has built-in USB connectivity, allowing stereo signals to
be sent to and from the mixer and a computer. The audio sent from the mixer to
a computer is identical to the MAIN MIX. Audio being sent to the mixer from a
computer can be routed to the main mix with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN button"

That's it for USB I am afraid. The mixer is very limited in its USB facilities, it is just I think designed for a band to get a scratch recording of a gig.
There is another downside to these '1st gen' USB mixers, they often generate a low level, c-50dB 'whine' at around 6kHz. If you get this, come back and I can guide you through a way to minimize it, i.e push it into the noise floor which is about -85dBFS.

If you have just bought the mixer new and it does not do what you want or thought it might you could return it and look again? However, to get a mixer with proper 'multi-track' capability is going to cost you an AWFUL lot more than that Berry! Look for instance at the Zoom L20. All that said, it is not a bad mixer. The mic pre have more gain than you will find on most interfaces and better headroom. Noise and distortion is also very low. I have the non USB version feeding my M4 and it does not make it worse!

Dave.
Dave, Thanks! Looks like it won’t work for the particular application I’d hoped it would. I’ll keep fiddling with it, I think I’ve seen the hum on an AUM channel.

-Damon

Dave, Thanks! Looks like it won’t work for the particular application I’d hoped it would. I’ll keep fiddling with it, I think I’ve seen the hum on an AUM channel.

-Damon
OK, I might be able to suggest a fix? The Behringer UCA 202 is a very simple 2 in 2 out (on RCA) 16 bit interface,about $25. The performance is at least as good as the converters in the mixer and you can feed it with any signal you like, e.g. an AUX out. I don't know what software (DAW) you are running but you should be able to record 4 tracks from 2 USB sources using MME drivers. Even WASAPI might work. Latency will be 'last week' but that does not matter for simple tracking and playback.

NB. The 202 is a resolutely -10dBV (0.316V rms) interface and will overload at about one volt in, it is still however a perfectly useful device. (Ideal tape dubber!)

Dave.

OK, I might be able to suggest a fix? The Behringer UCA 202 is a very simple 2 in 2 out (on RCA) 16 bit interface,about $25. The performance is at least as good as the converters in the mixer and you can feed it with any signal you like, e.g. an AUX out. I don't know what software (DAW) you are running but you should be able to record 4 tracks from 2 USB sources using MME drivers. Even WASAPI might work. Latency will be 'last week' but that does not matter for simple tracking and playback.

NB. The 202 is a resolutely -10dBV (0.316V rms) interface and will overload at about one volt in, it is still however a perfectly useful device. (Ideal tape dubber!)

Dave.

I’ve got a 2x2 uphoria: I could send on main and return on alt 3+4, I got the xenyx for banging around, busking, the 222 would work for a less expensive backup interface.

Back