Behringer UMC22 AT2020 not working

ZedKay

i recently just got the audio technica AT2020 and the UMC22 but whenever i try to record anything nothing is picked up unless i turn gain to the maximum I've switch usb and xlr cables and nothing is working (i am on a 2016 macbook) i just need some help as I'm trying to record

Just checking the basics..

Assuming your AT2020 is XLR (not USB), make sure to connect it to your UMC22 using the XLR cable. Then make sure the UMC22's +48V switch on the rear panel is set to ON - this will provide Phantom Power to the AT 2020.

Just checking the basics..

Assuming your AT2020 is XLR (not USB), make sure to connect it to your UMC22 using the XLR cable. Then make sure the UMC22's +48V switch on the rear panel is set to ON - this will provide Phantom Power to the AT 2020.
Yes my AT2020 is xlr and my +48v is on

There are two LED lights on the front of the UMC22, 'SIG' and 'CLIP'. When you speak/sing into the mic at a normal loudness does the 'SIG' light illuminate and where is the gain knob set to when it illuminates? If speaking/singing normally can the gain knob be set to illuminate the 'CLIP' light? If you can get the 'SIG' light to illuminate at less than max on the gain knob there should be adequate signal into the UMC22, but there may be something in your Macbook or the DAW recording software that is attenuating the audio What are you using for recording software?

There are two LED lights on the front of the UMC22, 'SIG' and 'CLIP'. When you speak/sing into the mic at a normal loudness does the 'SIG' light illuminate and where is the gain knob set to when it illuminates? If speaking/singing normally can the gain knob be set to illuminate the 'CLIP' light? If you can get the 'SIG' light to illuminate at less than max on the gain knob there should be adequate signal into the UMC22, but there may be something in your Macbook or the DAW recording software that is attenuating the audio What are you using for recording software?
i have to set the gain nob about 3/4- 100% of the way for the sig LED to light up and my DAW is Logic Pro X

Speaking/singing into the side of the mic that has the 'Audio-Technica' logo, how far away are you from the mic?

I just tried my AT2020 into a UMC404HD which may be similar to the UMC22 for input gain. With the mic at about 8 inches from my mouth and speaking normally the SIG LED was illuminating with occasion flickers of the CLIP LED with the gain knob at about 3 o'clock. I didn't try recording, but this is roughly where I would set the gain for a good recording level.

Speaking/singing into the side of the mic that has the 'Audio-Technica' logo, how far away are you from the mic?

I just tried my AT2020 into a UMC404HD which may be similar to the UMC22 for input gain. With the mic at about 8 inches from my mouth and speaking normally the SIG LED was illuminating with occasion flickers of the CLIP LED with the gain knob at about 3 o'clock. I didn't try recording, but this is roughly where I would set the gain for a good recording level.
im roughly around 6 inches away from my mic i think, and ive tried putting my gain nob at around the 3 o'clock mark but nothing is picked up when i am speaking

Are you sure you are talking into the *face* of the AT2020, i.e., with the cylinder held vertically, and staring at the Audio-Technica brand name, not the side that says "BACK" or, as some folks do, talking into the end of the microphone. It is *not* an SM7b...

After that, can you try a different mic cable, USB cable and/or different condenser mic with the interface? It's generally a matter of ruling out the things that could be failing.

im roughly around 6 inches away from my mic i think, and ive tried putting my gain nob at around the 3 o'clock mark but nothing is picked up when i am speaking
Is the mic brand new?
When you spoke at 6 inches did the SIG LED light up or flicker on?
With headphones plugged into the UMC22 and listening to your speaking does it sound clear? Is there any noise such as pops, crackles, or hissing?
Can you try a different DAW such as Audacity? https://www.audacityteam.org/

Not sure if this is relevant as a setting in a Mac, but maybe worth checking....

Is the mic brand new?
When you spoke at 6 inches did the SIG LED light up or flicker on?
With headphones plugged into the UMC22 and listening to your speaking does it sound clear? Is there any noise such as pops, crackles, or hissing?
Can you try a different DAW such as Audacity? https://www.audacityteam.org/

Not sure if this is relevant as a setting in a Mac, but maybe worth checking....
sorry for the late reply but yes( tried to do more troubleshooting because i did not get notified), the mic is new. now i have purchased a new xlr cable my mic does work. my headphones are plugged into my interface yes but the sound is clear and there are multiple cracks hisses and pops. when i asked my friend what i should do he said to turn up the gain but that is what causes the snaps crackles and pops when i speak or just generally leave the mic alone. right now after i record i usually have to turn the voice track up at least 4 db for the beat to not overpower it. I tried the solution in the article you linked but there was no choice for that with my interface right now i have it set to around the 2 o'clock mark and that seems to be the final place before all the problems start. The mic works now its just i sound extremely quiet in tracks

Hmmm.. pops-n-crackles... Could be you need to make some adjustments to the sample rates/block sizes in UMC22's software, and possibly further such adjustments in Logic Pro X's recording/playback settings.

Or could be dampness on the mic capsule from humidity in the air or from ones breath as they speak closely.
I've had two mics that were susceptible to dampness that I've dried out using desiccant packs in a ziplock bag with the mic for a couple days. One mic (a CAD M179) barely had any output and was noisy with crackles and static). The bias voltage on the capsule diaphragm doesn't like moisture.

Attachments

• damp mic (2).jpg
    damp mic (2).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello. i'm also having the same problem. im using AT2020 and UMC22. it was working properly before but now it requires me to turn gain to maximum. I can also hear cracking sounds which is not an issue before. I really dont know what happened. I already tried using it on my desktop and laptop but still the same issue.

Last edited:
May I know what did you do to fix the problem? i've been using AT2020 and UMC22 for 6 months and this is the first time I encountered this issue. I already tried to use Desktop and Laptop but still the same problem. I used to set the gain to 50% and it will work properly but now it requires almost maximum gain

IMO EVERYONE should get themselves a $20 digital meter you can then check the phantom voltage at the mic end of the cable. A dodgy cable could cause it to be low.

Dave.

right now after i record i usually have to turn the voice track up at least 4 db for the beat to not overpower it. I tried the solution in the article you linked but there was no choice for that with my interface right now i have it set to around the 2 o'clock mark and that seems to be the final place before all the problems start. The mic works now its just i sound extremely quiet in tracks
You could try turning the beats down. Proper levels during production are generally a fair bit lower than the final mastered level. Average levels of each track should hinge around -18 dBFS or so to provide ample headroom.

Hello. i'm also having the same problem. im using AT2020 and UMC22. it was working properly before but now it requires me to turn gain to maximum. I can also hear cracking sounds which is not an issue before. I really dont know what happened. I already tried using it on my desktop and laptop but still the same issue.
My problem was my xlr cable, i do not know what was wrong with it but there was definitely something iffy. I'd say buy a new xlr cable to test if thats the problem if not it COULD be your interface itself.

Back