Behringer mixer

ashulman

Anybody have experience with the Behringer mixers? They are pretty cheap and I only need it occasionally.

ashulman said:
Anybody have experience with the Behringer mixers? They are pretty cheap and I only need it occasionally.

I have a Behringer MX8000 from 1997. It was the lawsuit one. Excellent mixer. 6 years, perfect working order. Same as my brother's Mackie. We exchange mixes all the time. Idedtical sound. I really can't sat about the new ones. They get alot of bashing here. I love mine and use it all the time. People love the mixes I get on it. I can;t complain.

Never hear d of a Behringer MX8000.
Maybe you mean the MX9000?

1st off, you cannot compare Behs's MX pre's to Mackies VLZ's
as the MX's preamps only have an input sensitivity rating of only -+12dbu while the rated input sensitivity of Mackies VLZ's go as hi as +23dbu's making the MX9000 an unacceptable unit when using hi-sens mics' for drum-micing!

I could go on and on but I've wasted wayyyy to much time on Behringer mixers!

All I can say is, if you're happy, then I'm happy!

MISTERQCUE said:
Never hear d of a Behringer MX8000.
Maybe you mean the MX9000?

1st off, you cannot compare Behs's MX pre's to Mackies VLZ's
as the MX's preamps only have an input sensitivity rating of only -+12dbu while the rated input sensitivity of Mackies VLZ's go as hi as +23dbu's making the MX9000 an unacceptable unit when using hi-sens mics' for drum-micing!

I could go on and on but I've wasted wayyyy to much time on Behringer mixers!

All I can say is, if you're happy, then I'm happy!

It is an MX8000 48 track mixer. The pres in the Behringer and the mackie are on the same level of horrible. Myself and my brother both use outboard pre-amps. The boards sound the same. I don't know about the MX9000.

acorec said:
It is an MX8000 48 track mixer. The pres in the Behringer and the mackie are on the same level of horrible. Myself and my brother both use outboard pre-amps. The boards sound the same. I don't know about the MX9000.

I'm just curious, but have you ever done an A/B comparison
bet the Mackie and the Behringer?

The SR Series has a low-cut filter centered @ 75hz; The MX doesn't. The MX's pre/post auxes has a gain of only 15db while the SR's ride at 22db. The MX's XLR input range maxes out at 14dbu's;SR's peak at 28!
Let's not EVEN go into eq shelving capabilities (lo&hi) as the SR's surpasses the MX's range in freq'y processing by at least -/+12-14dbs.
Power consumption? The MX's uses a ridiculously 400watt power supply supposedly to allow for improved transient responses whereas the SR's uses 5x less power yet provides equal or better than signal translation(& mind you, this is from a Company that supposedly copied Mackies design yet scrimped on perf components!).

You state that they both "sound the same"! I can't understand how you arrived at that conclusion when SR provides superior
quality in signal translation,freq'y processes and overall operation
than the MX.
Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT stating the Mackies are the BEST out there, but by FAR, an overall better unit than Beh's MX's!

Peace.

A Former & NEVER AGAIN Owner of Behringer "SUCK-@SS" Mixers.

Q.rM

Im using a little 8 channel on my karaoke rig that has been perfect ever since Ive had it. But Id buy a soundcraft if I could do it over.

MISTERQCUE said:
I'm just curious, but have you ever done an A/B comparison
bet the Mackie and the Behringer?

The SR Series has a low-cut filter centered @ 75hz; The MX doesn't. The MX's pre/post auxes has a gain of only 15db while the SR's ride at 22db. The MX's XLR input range maxes out at 14dbu's;SR's peak at 28!
Let's not EVEN go into eq shelving capabilities (lo&hi) as the SR's surpasses the MX's range in freq'y processing by at least -/+12-14dbs.
Power consumption? The MX's uses a ridiculously 400watt power supply supposedly to allow for improved transient responses whereas the SR's uses 5x less power yet provides equal or better than signal translation(& mind you, this is from a Company that supposedly copied Mackies design yet scrimped on perf components!).

You state that they both "sound the same"! I can't understand how you arrived at that conclusion when SR provides superior
quality in signal translation,freq'y processes and overall operation
than the MX.
Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT stating the Mackies are the BEST out there, but by FAR, an overall better unit than Beh's MX's!

Peace.

A Former & NEVER AGAIN Owner of Behringer "SUCK-@SS" Mixers.

Q.rM

Printed specs are a wonderful thing. They sell lots of product. As an electronics engineer, I know that I can make any component look great. You have to know how they measured the parameters. There are many standards to go by and they all come up with better looking or worse looking results. Yes, I have a/b'd both. I do it all the time. My brother has the Mackie and I the Behringer. Most of our equipment is the same including monitors. We bring mixes back and forth all the time. We track at our houses and share the mixes. In actual sound, we both hear no differences. That is real world. The specs are something else.

I have an mx9000 & find it a little noisey, a little crosstalk, the eq is just ok, the pots & faders are all quiet but some of the buttons are noisey. This is just a toy for me, if I were serious about studio mixing I definately wouldn't choose this mixer. It's all for fun anyway, isn't it?

acorec said:
Printed specs are a wonderful thing. They sell lots of product. As an electronics engineer, I know that I can make any component look great. You have to know how they measured the parameters. There are many standards to go by and they all come up with better looking or worse looking results. Yes, I have a/b'd both. I do it all the time. My brother has the Mackie and I the Behringer. Most of our equipment is the same including monitors. We bring mixes back and forth all the time. We track at our houses and share the mixes. In actual sound, we both hear no differences. That is real world. The specs are something else.
Wrongggggg! Aforementioned specs were provided by expert testing of eachs rated performance.

The specs I have stated were provided during A/B analysis by
well-known engineer,Bill Parks @ prorec. Using an omni mic on a single channel on each board, mic'ing a snare and amp-micing, he was able to determine signal-input sens't'vity ratings of each boards pre's, effective freq'y cut/boost and sweeps and total output performance. Guess what, Mackie rated higher in all aspects more than 2 fold!

Both sound alike? Please. Brutha', I mean no disrespect whatso-ever, but run a playback a single track thru each boards outputs
and keep eq on both flat. Using the same monitors and amp,listen carefully to the channel's output. You WILL notice some sort of "discoloration" or such emanating from the Behringer
due to it's large transformer mixing line noise with signal.

The post prior to this one sums it all up in a nutshell!

However, like I said prev'ly, if U're happy than I'm happy 4 you!

Nuff said!

Peace
Q.rM

MISTERQCUE said:
Wrongggggg! Aforementioned specs were provided by expert testing of eachs rated performance.

The specs I have stated were provided during A/B analysis by
well-known engineer,Bill Parks @ prorec. Using an omni mic on a single channel on each board, mic'ing a snare and amp-micing, he was able to determine signal-input sens't'vity ratings of each boards pre's, effective freq'y cut/boost and sweeps and total output performance. Guess what, Mackie rated higher in all aspects more than 2 fold!

Both sound alike? Please. Brutha', I mean no disrespect whatso-ever, but run a playback a single track thru each boards outputs
and keep eq on both flat. Using the same monitors and amp,listen carefully to the channel's output. You WILL notice some sort of "discoloration" or such emanating from the Behringer
due to it's large transformer mixing line noise with signal.

The post prior to this one sums it all up in a nutshell!

However, like I said prev'ly, if U're happy than I'm happy 4 you!

Nuff said!

Peace
Q.rM

Are you for real? You have to get a life. I don't really care about what anyone says. I use the board and it sounds just like my brother's Mackie. The sound has never been a topic of discussion between us. My board records snare drums and everything else just fine. I do alot of recording and the board gives me pro sounding recordings everytime. What do you want me to say? Look at all the cheap mics that are so poular now. People flamed many of them for a long time until someone who is respected said that the mic is great. I don't know about new Behringers. I know my 1997 board sounds the same as a Mackie of the same year. You are overlooking the point that I have a/b both boards for 6 years! You think some guy over at pro whatever.com has done that ? Sorry, but my testing has lasted 6 years and I have an excellent ear.

The failure rate of Mackies verses Behringer is the same, they both use the same switches, Panasonic faders, Alps pots, and basically the same kind of printed circuit boards and pre-amplifiers. And they both are a pain in the but to service.

Most of the time, you have to take all the knobs off and remove a thousand screws just to get at the switches, faders and pots underneath to lube them with CAIG-DE-OX-IT spray or beter. For doing the faders, ribbon connectors, pots and switches for removing the oxide build up which causes static noise or drop outs in the sound. This has to be done every ten years or sooner depending on the environment it is used in.

Behringer and Mackie mixers all get static in their switches, pots and faders after they are exposed to the moisture and air for a long time, again about 7 to 10 years depending on your climate. I worked on both brands. The sealed Alps pots seem to last longer as far as static problems, they just usually need to be excersized from time to time to get the sealed lube inside moved around and the static usually goes away. Don't use thin oils to lube pots, it requires a special thicker lube oil. They are much harder to lube because they are pretty much sealed.

As far as the XLR pre-amps being better in the Mackie, I am not sure on that one. Both seem to sound the same to me. And as far as dependability, both have issues and strengths. When tested, the over sound quality is the same.

As far as paying a much high price for advertising hype and all it's expenses, Mackie wins by a long shot. Behringer has a much lower overhead and much lower advertising costs, so it wins in the price wars verses the same features by a long shot over Mackie.

Not to say Mackie makes bad gear, they clearly don't. They have made allot of innovations over the years that Behringer has definately copied. Behringer likes to copy other manufactures so they don't have to spend the money in research and design. Amazing that they get away with it....still today. Mackie wins for both original concepts and designs by a long shot over Behringer.

But some things Behringer makes is unique and innovative, and actually are not copying other company's designs, rarely though this is the case. Shame on Behringer for making music gear truely affordable to all..........

Both Behringer and Mackie are the same in longevity, if you can do maintenance to them from time to time to keep them both problem and static free.

But for me and many others, Behringer wins over for the price verses value wars everytime. And the older Behringer gear is better made than the new stuff, same goes for Mackie's older gear.

The Behringer MX9000 is good sounding, has allot of Ins/Outs and is a very useful mixer, besides only the power supply failing every 7 to 10 years or so, depending on the heat in your studio. Otherwise very reliable and a awesome price used. Make sure to check all channels and inputs before buying.

The Behringer small format MX series mixers are very reliable and sound very good, especially for the little money spent on them in the used market today. For Mackie's older used mixers people want a premium for them. To me they were way over priced when new, and still way over priced on the used market today.

Behringer wins over Mackie for good value both new and used. My 2 cents worth.........

Last edited:
Back