Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Hey...

Did Harvey ever report back his findings?

Didja Harvey?

I got a couple of these and have been messing around...they seem to sound quite good and smooth but, alas, I did it in a noisy environment and I'm not ashamed to say that my ears couldn't carry Harvey's mic stands:D

Just curious,

Heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
:cool:

Heylow,
I wuz kinda wondering what happened to "the full report". Harvey did get back with an initial report, but he said he was gonna test them out with his son.

I'm guessing he got distracted by some "paying work".

Queue

:mad: What the?!?!?!

Paying work?!?!?!

I suppose the next thing you're gonna tell me is he needs to make a living TOO?! I suppose he's gotta EAT now too, huh?

Sheesh, what's the world coming to?

oh well,

;) :D :p :)

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob

Hell of a Man

It dosn't take much of a man to screw up, but it takes a hell of a man to admit it and answer for it. Thanks Kennyb2k. It made my day reading your post. I don't know you and you don't know me, but my respect for you jumped 100% when I read your last post. I definetly take back all my negative comments directed to you during my little fit of anger. And to the rest of you out there, thanks for all the wealth of info I have gained from reading what you share. I use the handle "Papajack" because) 1. I am 50 and have three grandkids. 2. My name is Jack...Makes sense. Let me tell you, you young ones are teaching this old dog some new tricks. I appreciate it.

i am very fuckin happy in my purchase of these mic's thanks people. i work at a music store and didnt know about the price.. i bought two today, cant wait to try them on drums.. but on bass it sounded exactly like what i heard when i played it, good sign..

"Heylow, I wuz kinda wondering what happened to "the full report". Harvey did get back with an initial report, but he said he was gonna test them out with his son.

Queue"

Or maybe he just walked. He gets real tired real quick of the sort of pissing matches that cropped up in this thread. He's got no patience with kid stuff.

3 important questions here...
1) DO they have a mount of some sort, included?
2) Does the Behringer name rub off easily? ;)
3) These wont work the same way as a coincident pair at 90 degree angles, will they? Whats the best call on overhead placement? Any comparison to the sm81's? Good clarity and air?

Peace.

i guess all the b/s starts when certain people come in and feel its their duty to mess all up most of them dont like to be told this either. a certain aussie who knows who he is should learn to just stick to his own posts if he dont like mine or the way i write or spell etc.

Now RE:these ecm 8000,s their so cheap who really cares harvey says their fine id say go buy them and just give yourself a plesant suprise

as for behringer i think their pretty hit and miss but their not stupid they know their market and must have some clout to release the volume of items that they do worldwide essp at the prices they do

i think the trick with behringer is just look real carefull at whats on offer if it works and works dam well at a give away price then what can be better its easy to say behringer yuk ive been guilty of that too but along with the bad iam sure they are releasing good as well just look at these mics can anyone get a better omni for the price ? i know i cant

If I remember this correct, these mics where once marketed as measurement mics for one of their units with analysing functionality. I also remember an engineer laughing his ass off when this unit was opened and electronically analysed and measured. Behringer had a huge correction curve for their own mics implanted.

So or this mic is far from straight frequency responce, or the unit was. I also heard the noisefloor is relatively high.

But what the hell for a couple of bucks eh....

I'll try to answer as many of the questions raised as I can.

Queue
Yup, that's exactly what happened. I'm just finishing up a 3 song demo for a group I've been recording since last Thursday. I did get a chance to use the ECM8000 to record congas on Tuesday or Wednesday and it worked perfectly with the mic aimed down toward the top of the congas from about 18" above the congas. I recorded it flat, and all it needed was a little bass rolloff at 80Hz at mixdown to sit perfectly in the mix.

3 important questions here...
1) DO they have a mount of some sort, included?
2) Does the Behringer name rub off easily?
3) These wont work the same way as a coincident pair at 90 degree angles, will they? Whats the best call on overhead placement? Any comparison to the sm81's? Good clarity and air?
Tubedude
Yes, they have a really tightfitting micholder, a small foam windscreen, and a nice fitted case. The latch opens backwards from what you'd expect, so you hafta be careful when opening the case.

The name is etched in, but easy to hide by the holder. I like wide spaced omnis. You can also try ORTF and NOS spacing. For drums and some work, they would be much better than the SM-81. Excellent detail and air.

If I remember this correct, these mics where once marketed as measurement mics for one of their units with analysing functionality. I also remember an engineer laughing his ass off when this unit was opened and electronically analysed and measured. Behringer had a huge correction curve for their own mics implanted.

So or this mic is far from straight frequency responce, or the unit was. I also heard the noise floor is relatively high.
Downside Studio
With the possible exception of B&K, and a couple of others, every mic has a sonic signature. I'd be willing to bet that the ECM8000 uses the stock WA60 omni capsule from Panasonic, just as most 1/4" measuring mics do, except this one sells for a small fraction of the others. Would it need some correction as a measuring mic? A little, so the fact that Behringer included that in the RTA would be a plus. Remember there are two types of omni - direct and diffused field. Both have different response curves on axis.

As far as noise in a condenser mic, a big part of that is diaphragm size, and those tradeoffs were discussed in another thread. Since I've been pretty busy, I haven't had a chance yet to try it on quiet acoustic guitars, to see if the self noise will be an issue.

As far as the actual frequency response, yes, I think it sounds pretty flat, with a slight rising characteristic on axis, but I don't have my mic testing facility anymore, so I can't gurantee that it's perfectly flat. So far, it sounds like my Audix TR-40 and that's worked well for me.

I hope to put it thru it's paces sometime this week, if things slow down here for a minute.

Does this cover everybody's questions?

Harvey,
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.

(Now if I could only get my mics...) (Damn MF :mad: )

Queue

Thanks for takiing the time to chime in, Harvey! Too bad this thread has developed so much "internal noise." :rolleyes:

I'm not dissing anyone up there and I even understand some of the argument but as Dobro pointed out, guys like Harvey just do not have the time nor the patience to wade through a bunch of piss just to give some free advice to guys like....well...me.

All I'm saying is, GUYS! I, for one, deeply appreciate the advice so please keep the noise down a little.:)

Lopez....lopez:D

YAY!

got my mics today....

Came home for lunch and found that the UPS man had left them at my front door. Not too cool considering it was below 40 degrees (F) outside today. (the mics were very cold when I opened them up) Should I be worried?

The "packaging" job that 8th street did was neither too impressive. They taped two mic boxes together with packing tape and taped a packing slip to it. I guess the mics being as cheap as they are warrant no shipping box? Thank God they come in their own cases.....

Harvey thanks for the tip on these, and all your continued help!

I can't wait to test these out (after they have reached a comfortable room temperature for more that 24 hours)

nP

Back