Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters
Sirnothingness said:
I wouldn't say that Behringer is crap.
That all depends on one's frame of reference.... if one only knows of soda pop, Baby Duck might seem like a Champagne - and then there are those that know better! ;)

Last edited:
ambi said:
i guess the people who said behringer is great stuff are either joking, stupid, or owners trying to reasure themselves of their purchase.

If you can afford it, don't buy behringer, and if you can't... save a little more :)
agree wholeheartedly.

the only thing I have that is behringer is a gx212 guitar amp that I use to practice my pedal and lap steels(my twin reverb is stateside, and I aint shipping it here) , got it for cheap. Other than that, I wont buy anything of theirs, have heard too many horror stories this side of the pond.. that being said..they do sell a lot of products...for years they have been.

Blue Bear Sound said:
That all depends on one's frame of reference.... if one only knows of soda pop, Baby Duck might seem like a Champagne - and then there are those that know better! ;)[/QUOTE

Again, Bear, not everyone here is on a "pro" level, and for most here it would be pretty silly to spend thousands on top end equipment when they are using $100 mics. If I were setting up a professional studio (and by "professional" I mean I was going to be recording MAJOR recording artist) I would even think about Behringer. Since there are few, if any, here that can afford to do that...Behringer fits the needs and wallet of most here. Sometimes it's about real quality, and sometimes you just need the most bang for your buck.
I would go with a SoundCraft mixer when I upgrade, but for someone that can't shell out a couple thousand just for a mixer, and they are only doing basement demo's...I would highly recommend a Behringer over a Mackie.
However, if it were going to be going on the road...get the Mackie. It all depends on the level you are on. To be honest, and I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but.....I have heard very, very little posted on this site to where I would say it would be worth it for them to invest in "high quality" equipment. Nobody should be offended by this statement, it's just that for 99% of the people on this site, it's really just a hobby, no matter how much they love it. Besides, fact is that creativity is not about having the best equipment to work with, it's about doing great things with what you have.

Check out the songs on this link:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2878&alid=-1

2 of them were done at the Warehouse in Philly, which was major, multi-million dollar studio where some really big names recorded (Springsteen, Jovi, etc.), and some really big albums came out of. The other was done in my home studio with a Behringer mixer. I personally am a lot happier with the results I got from the "home" recording on the lower budget "junk". The major difference is that in the Warehouse we had a high paid "Co-producer" that knew nothing of the vision I had for my music (yet the label felt we needed him), and at home.....just me, my Behringer, and some $100 mics.

Sirnothingness said:
Behringer does not use standard vendors for raw materials. They use whoever gives them the best deal at a particular time. Two identical Behringer products can have completely different parts inside. This works for Behringer, but as for the consumer needing support? Well, you figure it out.

Can you back that up? Please post a link to this information. I hear a lot of people claim this, yet none have been able to prove it to me. I have found that the people that just bash Behringer because it says Behringer on it, most of the time don't really know anything about it, except what they have heard from others that really don't know what they are talking about. Lets see the specs or documents that back up your statement.

easychair said:

Sorry, but looking similar does not make it a copy. That is like saying EVERY mixer with sliders on it is a copy of the first mixer that used sliders. Fact is that there was only 1 case that they were ever accused of copying a product. Everyone now beleives they do this with every product based on the mis-information they get about that case on sites like this.

The Camaro looks A LOT like the Firebird....doesn't make it a copy.

Toker41 said:
Can you back that up? Please post a link to this information. I hear a lot of people claim this, yet none have been able to prove it to me. I have found that the people that just bash Behringer because it says Behringer on it, most of the time don't really know anything about it, except what they have heard from others that really don't know what they are talking about. Lets see the specs or documents that back up your statement.

I could have backed it up a few years ago, but I don't keep everything I read forever. I actually read about it from a manufacturing standpoint and not from a musical point of view. It was from a discussion of production phylosophies, so I'd tend to agree with it, since it wasn't your average Behringer bashing.

HHmmm...
..K...
I can't say that I can argue that point and back it up, either. It's just that most people that bash it are really jumping on the bandwagon when doing it and going by hear-say. I'm not claiming they are the best made products, and I do admit that I have noticed a slight sound difference from mixer on the same model. Mine sounds a bit thiner than my buddies, but is the same mixer. Most people would never notice it, though. You do get a good bang for the buck, and I have never had a problem with any of mine. As with anything you buy, ALWAYS check the return police at the place you buy it. Never be afraid to return anything that just doesn't sound like you were expecting.

An old thread I started when I wanted to research *first hand* about the whole Mackie/Behringer thing, and getting past all the rhetoric.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=74439

I've also got an issue of Recording Magazine somewhere where they interview the producer for Bon Jovi. He uses Behringer compressors and explicitly says so in the article. (doesn't say which model, specifically, though)

My own experience... I have:

UB2442FX-PRO mixer - crapped out after two weeks of use; brought it back to the store who replaced it, no questions asked, with a new one until mine came back from repair. Total down-time = about 20 minutes. No cost to me. Working perfect since - more than two years later.

Composer Pro compressor
Power Play Pro headphone amp
ECM8000 (x2) omni mics
DI 120 - DI/splitter.
X-V-amp

... no regrets, issues, etc. with anything.

My recordings are getting a lot better as I learn more about the recording process and related techniques. I don't believe it is the gear so much, as it is what you do with it. Mutt Lange could make a way better sounding album with Behringer gear than I could with a million dollars worth of gear.

That said... if your skills are high enough where you need gear of a certain quality to not be limited by it, then good on ya. I'm getting there, but I don't think I'm there yet. I'd love to spend, say, $3500 on that new SSL channel strip, but there is no way I could justify that expense for what I do with it, and the fact that it would take me three years to pay it off, so that would mean three years before I could afford a U87 to plug into it. And then, for what I do, I couldn't justify that expense either. Even though, I expect, that my recordings would show a noticeable improvement.... could I justify over $5K and six years of spending for it? No. I would consider it a necessity, though, if I were pretending to be a "pro" studio where I charged $100/hr, as opposed to a "project home studio" where I charge $30/hr.

Chris

I have 3 pieces of Behringer equiptment UB802 mixer ,MIC200 tube preamp amd GI100 DI box,all were exceptional value and I have had no problems with any of em. also this is all roughly $130 worth of equipt. How can you beat that?

Toker41 said:
Sorry, but looking similar does not make it a copy. That is like saying EVERY mixer with sliders on it is a copy of the first mixer that used sliders. Fact is that there was only 1 case that they were ever accused of copying a product. Everyone now beleives they do this with every product based on the mis-information they get about that case on sites like this.

The Camaro looks A LOT like the Firebird....doesn't make it a copy.
I agree, and I think correct about the lone instance of B being taken to court.
The similar looks really just point to an attitude, more than an actual copying. Association is a powerful tool.

Camaro and Firebird are bad examples, BTW, since both are essentially made by the same company, General Motors.

I try not to bash Behringer, because I don't have any of their products and can't make any claims to their quality. I can only go by what others say about them. If I found something at a good price, I'd still consider it. I bought a Sony cordless phone a few years ago, had a problem with it so I opened it up only to find the innards were made by Vitek (who also make cordless phones). So the saying is not actually correct- You DON'T always get what you pay for! :eek:

I just bought a Behringer preamp. 3 weeks latter the thing wont turn on. WTF!

So now I have to pay to ship it to them, plus its gona take 2 weeks for me to get a new one, and i have a mixtape that is due out in 15 days.

AND WHAY DONT THEY HAVE A ON?OFF BUTTON ON ANY OF THERE STUF!!!!

I don't care for all the Behringer broken equipment articles....and other than being the cheapest in the store, i don't even look at their stuff much anymore due to all the broken piece threads.

but the 2031A monitor does get some respectable inputs...here's one.
just to balance out my negative articles on the B's?

Dot
Mod
Shichidan

Posted 05-25-05 04:50 AM
I just took a drive recently to a studio. I brought some different pairs of monitors with me. The studio is looking to upgrade from Behringer Truth monitors. Here's some comments by the studio owner:

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubb/ultimat...c;f=16;t=016750

quote:
posted by "GawsDigitalUnderground" at vsplanet.com

Dan Richards was nice enough to offer to ride down to my studio today with a Jeepload of Monitors..Actually he brought the Mackie HR824's, Dynaudio BM5A's, and the 6's..We also compared them against my Behringer Truth's.

This is just my personal opinion of what I heard today..Take it for what it's worth comming from me!

The Behringers vs the Mackies..There was a difference. I won't say that the Truth's were better, but I can't say they were that much worse either..Dan and I both pretty much agreed that if you factor in the price difference, we didn't hear that much improvement to warrant paying $1,200 for the Mackies, vs, the $400 for the Truths...Now if money isn't a concern, I wouldn't hesitate buying the Mackies over the Truths. The Mackies seemed to have more low end, and were abit clearer. But $800 worth? I don't know. Seems like a good Eq between the recorder and the Truth's, and you'd have the Mackies..But that's just my 2 cents.

Now, the Mackie HR 824's vs the Dynaudio..Well, what can I say, not really in the same ball park to my ears..The Dynaudio BM5A's just rocked..Tight focused bass, not muddy. Crystal clear high's, etc, etc. I was really impressed. We ran some of my mixes through each and with the Dynaudio's, you could hear clearly the reverb trails, the sizzle in the cymbals, and everything. Things that I couldn't hear with the Truth's, and the Mackies were right up there in the BM5's. What can I say, I'm buying the Dynaudio BM5's..

It would have been great to get to spend a couple of weeks with both sets of monitors, and got to do some actual tracking, and mixing with them, but for a short days listen, the Dynaudio's seemed like the clear winner of my moolah..

What we auditioned:

Behringer Truth
Mackie HR824
Dynaudio BM5A's
Dynaudio BM6A's

I agree pretty much with the studio owner [ if you read his comments at the link. ] I thought the Truth's sounded like they were muffled. I didn't hear any real improvement when comparing the Truth's to the Mackie's. The Mackie's had more low-end - and a little better separation of instruments, but not by much. And I couldn't justify the $1200+ cost of the Mackie's over the $399 cost of the Truth's.

Next were the BM5A's. Immediately there was a noticable difference. With the 5A's I could easily hear details of the program material that were not at all evident on the Truths or the Mackie's. With the 5A's I could hear all the reverb tails, the top of the snare and cymbals, and overall clear separation of instruments. The bass was tighter but still full.

I think the model numbers Dynaudio gave the 5A's and 6A's is a little confusing – and some people might think the 6A's have 6" woofers and the 5A's would have 5" woofers. Not so. The BM5A's and BM6A's both have 6.89" woofers. 5A's have 50W amps on tweeter and woofer. 6A's have 100W amps. The 6A's have the BM series styling. The 5A's have the AIR series styling.

The 6A's sounded near to the 5A's until we turned up the 6A's louder. That's when the 100W amps showed the 6A's to have more horsepower. But for the small size control room the 5A's more than do the job.

In the end, we thought the 5A's [ also considering price ] were the best tool for the job. At under $900 the 5A's kicked the $1200+ Mackie's to the curb. The owner is buying the 5A's.

One of my pairs of personal monitors are Dynaudio AIR 15's with a Benchmark DAC1. So, I'm used to that $3000+ monitor sound on a daily basis. The 5A's deliver the same type of sound [ clarity, imagery, depth, no ear fatigue ] in a smaller package.

Dan Richards
Sound Pure Pro Audio
(866) 409-3686
Studio Reviews Magazine

COOLCAT said:
I don't care for all the Behringer broken equipment articles....and other than being the cheapest in the store, i don't even look at their stuff much anymore due to all the broken piece threads.

Thanks for the Dan Richards story.

I don't find Behri gear to be any more fragile than any other budget gear. I also find it funny that people get more angry when their cheap gear fails than when their expensive gear fails.

Behri gear fails: "Cheap piece of shit crap ruined my session"
Focusrite piece fails: "My nice expensive gear ruined my session, but it's OK, it was expensive."

:confused:

imo, i'd be much more depressed if i paid $3000 for speakers and had problems.

subjective sound and sonics aside. (and price)

One reason the Behringer hits keep coming, could be due to volume of sales.
using numbers only, if Behri has 10% field failures and Behri is selling 5,000,000 units a month for example.... thats going to be more than the Boutique equipment that may sell 5,000 or less units a month.
1ooox's more fails.

I own the Behringer Ub2442FX Mixer, and for the price it's a pretty damn good mixer. Obviously not pro quality but it gets the job done. The mixers from Behringer are pretty solid I think and are good for the money. However my bassist bought one of the behringer heads, I don't really recal the model but anywho After a while It stopped working. He was told his MXR M-80 distortion pedal fried the amp. Blah Blah Blah he took it to guitar center and they sent it out for repairs...Finally about 3 months later he got the damn thing back plugged it in and with in about 5 seconds there was a pop followed by smoke...the head blew. So again he took it back to Guitar Center and the gave him a G&K head. So I would suggest staying away from Behringer Amps.

Thorguitarist said:
However my bassist bought one of the behringer heads, I don't really recal the model but anywho After a while It stopped working. He was told his MXR M-80 distortion pedal fried the amp. Blah Blah Blah he took it to guitar center and they sent it out for repairs...Finally about 3 months later he got the damn thing back plugged it in and with in about 5 seconds there was a pop followed by smoke...the head blew.

this is exactly why "the hits keep coming".

DIE YOU F#CKIN USELESS WASTE OF BANDWIDTH THREAD!

DIE BEHRINGER RIPOFF THREADS, DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

The author of the next brainless, Behringer thread posted on this BBS inquiring about the pros/cons of Beh's bogus, bullsh#t w/o at least utilizing the freakin' "SEARCH" function (located @ the top rite-hand side of this BBS) will have a mojo/curse of epic proportions placed upon themselves! ;) :eek: :mad: The same evil curse I had been inflicted with the day I purchased my 1st Behringer product; a MX 2624 mixer. Boils, lesions,lice, hornets, loss of toenails, moldy bread and milk spoiling after just 1 day, was just a few of the MANY afflictions I had to endure!
Don't let the Behringer mojo ruin your life like it did mine 7 yrs ago!!! ;) :D :mad:

Say NO to drugs!
Say HELL F#CKIN' NO to Behringer!

FattMusiek said:
Well, I'm new to recording (coming up on a year of when I got my Behringer mixer and mics) and I say it serves me well.

The belief that something is doing a good job for you can be very rewarding...until you find a replacement that leaves your orginal product out of the running. It all depends on what you know and what you want to do.

Some of us can be very happy with a low level situation when we lack any comparison........others know what quality is and pay the price and get the results in the form of superior creations. It's all in your view of what quality is, and what the end results sound like to your tastes. So we either know what quality is and require it, or we don't.

Attachments

• quality.gif
    quality.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 221
Back