Behringer ADA8000 vs. Yamaha MG Mixer

goldie

I am setting up a home studio with Protools Digi 001. I want to add 8 preamps to be able to record drums (I'm a drummer). I was first going to go with the Behringer ADA8000 but saw the Yamaha MG mixer would be better quality.

Please let me know which one I should go with or if I should look at something else. My buget is in the 200-300 range.

I have another post here with the rest of my possible setup: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=144238

The yamaha would be the way to go, I hear the berry isnt that bad but go for the MG if its in your price range.

I have the ADA8000 and love it. The pres are very nice for the price. I use it with my Yamaha AW4416 to take it to 16 tracks simultaneous recording.

The only draw w/ the ADA8000 is the pres get a little noise above 80%.

I don't have an MG mixer, but I bet the pres are very comparable. You're not getting a mixer w/ the ADA8000 like you are w/ the MG, but probably more pres for the money. Also the pres are "IMP" (invisible mic pre), they're not neve good, but for what most of us are looking for, it's good...

Like I said, I like it a lot, and would buy it again if it was stolen.

:D
GABritton said:
I don't have an MG mixer, but I bet the pres are very comparable. You're not getting a mixer w/ the ADA8000 like you are w/ the MG, but probably more pres for the money. Also the pres are "IMP" (invisible mic pre), they're not neve good, but for what most of us are looking for, it's good...

Like I said, I like it a lot, and would buy it again if it was stolen.

I wont go there! :rolleyes: :D Like I said ive heard that they arent too bad but the yamaha pre's ARE better...

Carter said:
:D I wont go there! :rolleyes: :D Like I said ive heard that they arent too bad but the yamaha pre's ARE better...
And I'VE heard that the ADA8000 is better! So nyah nyah nyah nah nyah nyah!

Just because Behringer makes it doesn't automatically mean that every other manufacturer makes better stuff --- or products that are better suited to the task @ hand!

Goldie - go for the ADA8000. It's a very good choice for adding eight preamps to an existing hard disk system because that's what it was designed to do...

Thanks everyone, since the Yamaha MG12/4 mixer is cheaper, has more features, and more use I will probably end up with it.

Any reason not to get the mixer?

The reason I would give for not getting the MG mixer is it only has 6 mic pre-amps.

You really don't need a mixer, you need a way to get your tracks to disk. The mixer is nice, but it has a ton of stuff you won't use.

Now that said, you can use the mixer as a live application if you ever do any small gigs too.

ssscientist said:
And I'VE heard that the ADA8000 is better! So nyah nyah nyah nah nyah nyah!

Just because Behringer makes it doesn't automatically mean that every other manufacturer makes better stuff --- or products that are better suited to the task @ hand!

Ok we are not going to get into a pissing match :D I also own some behringer equipment Just not a mixer or pre's been there done that years ago.
The pre's aren't too bad just as long as you dont crank them up. :cool: :D

goldie said:
I am setting up a home studio with Protools Digi 001. I want to add 8 preamps to be able to record drums (I'm a drummer).

As you want to record drums I would suggest thet the pre's you require have pads, therefore neither the Berry or Yam are suitable IMHO.

Take a look at the deals available on the Berry DDX3216 * at the moment that should suit you fine 12 mic inputs all with 20db pads with ADAT in/out.

Tony

The DDX3216 is a very impressive board. Has tons of features, but the saved settings can be very useful in recording environments.

Ed

go to Ebay and get a used Motu896 (non-HD)
you will get super stable multi channal recording at 2ms without pop and clicks
plus the 8 mic pres that are supurior than MackieXDR Behringer IMP, yet for low volume stuff, motu have less gain
the XDR is a bit noiser IMO (( and it's directly going thru 896 ADDA, which is quite a notible improvement than ADA8000))
IMP is quiet and can get louder than XDR , but it sounded too hard, easy to get a sudden "Pop" at vocal recordings

i have used ADA8000 for a few month, for some reason, the IMP on my Behringer mixer is quieter.... " i mean really quite and loud"

i have also used that yamaha board, it's routing is quite wierd... actaully all the yamaha MG series are all quite wierd
anyway, with only 6 preamp, plus for recording into ur 001 u will need to use plug ur cable half way into ur insert... which isn't that great....
it might be best getting one with directouts.
i'm sorry i didn't really paid attention to the preamp... becaue i know i dont like it's lay out and flexibility, and it's not better sound than behringer when using only 3 stereo chennels max at once

anyway, if u already have 001, ada8000 isn't too bad for non commercial purpose, also for the PRICE?! hahaha u have no choices

Yamaha MG Mixers

I have 2 Mackie 16 Ch Firewire, 1 Alesis 16 Ch Firewire, a Presonus 24 Ch Firewire board along with a pair of MOTU 828 Mk111's and just bought and returned a Yamaha MG166CX USB. I can't tell you how dissapointed I am with this product as it lacks any musical tones. It is the most unmusical sound I have ever heard in my life. After returning it I picked up a Behringer 2442USB and am shocked with the difference. Most of these mixers are rental stock so they get beat on without mercy.

Thought you might be interested in some comparisons from a unbias view.

Back