Behringer 802A

k4444k

anyone know is this mixer works well ?

what i want to do is recording vocal, guitar , and other things with my pc........any suggestion ?

This is the first mixer/preamp mixer I bought three years ago, and I have not been sorry. Four serviceable preamps for $100 is hard to beat. Of course, you'll get other opinions.

It was built poorly...the preamps are almost good for the price. If you do some serious tweaking, you can get some good results.
I use it for utilitarian purposes.

I own a 602a, same thing only just 2 mic preamps. I'm not very impressed with the preamps.
I always found it hard to get an acceptable clean sound out of it when directly plugging in my guitar. I now own a VC6Q and that baby kicks butt compared to Berry (as I often refer to it) :)
Now I use the 602a just for monitoring.
And occasionally a keyboardplayer I know comes over to borrow it when he has a gig to mix his sources down to one stereo channel. It does that job without any complaints.

It serves my purposes so I'm happy with it.

I've had an 802a for well over a year; no problems and it sounds great. Does everything I need.

Just make sure you buy from a retailer that has a good return policy if you're not satisfied (which you should do with ANY piece of gear....) and send it back if you're not happy.

I happily spent the money I saved on other gear.

i dont really see what the whole "hate behringer" thing is all about. i like their boards, the pres are very usable and fairly quiet. i just used an 802 for recording a group of about 50 violins. for mics i used an AKG C391 and an AKG C535 and i got great results. barely any eq was required (-3db at 80 hz)and the noise floor was excellent. maybe it is all the low priced mics out there these days that need high grade pres, i dont know. for the price i would reccomend it to anyone. (and just so you behringer dislikers out there know, i am comparing them to the pres in my mackie 24/8 and in my allen and heath 14/4/2) i used the behringer on the above recording expecting to be dissappointed (because of all the negative posts on this bbs) but was really surprised. i welcome other people's comments (positive or negative)

I have a 602 and a Audio Technica 1220. I like my 602. I was just recording a demo for my band today. Got 2 songs out of it. They sound great

Do you think that most Behringer pre's sound alike?
Mabye some sound shittier than others...
but then again, I think that its all about personal opinion here.
It's our EAR's that are all different.

poo said:

Amen to that.

I have heard gear that I would not let my dog shit on and other people have raved about?

This should be the first rule of Audio "Train the ears first"

IMO Behringer Pre's do the job. No more No less.

this is the first behringer mixer thread with more positive responses than negative :D you can not do better for the price

I have a Behringer MBX1002.My only bitch about it could be that it only supplies something like 23v phantom power but that really isn't an issue with me.A cool thing is it's ability to run on batteries but I haven't taken advantage of that.I do like the pres on it better than my Art Toob MP(which I don't like),but not anywhere near as well as I like the pres in my Audio Buddy.

dr.colossus said:
this is the first behringer mixer thread with more positive responses than negative :D you can not do better for the price

That's 'cause I promised to keep my mouth shut!!;)

xalien said:
I have a Behringer 1604a and like it a lot.

i have one too... but i dont know what half the things are for! do you know what the "aux" stuff and all the aux sends/returns are? i should have got a smaller one, but i wanted the sliders.

but ya i love mine. ive never tried anything else though.

wilkee said:

IMO Behringer Pre's do the job. No more No less.

Could kindly explain to me what "JOB" does the Behringer Pre's do!!??
And what are you comparing them to?

And lastly, why do you think makes the Behringers pre's good!

I'm TRULY curious!!

poo said:

Our ears, AND Berry's pres, are different...

Behringer can and does make good gear. Unfortunately, they also make crappy gear. The Quality Control department is supposed to keep the crap from getting out. QC seems to be their biggest failing.

I checked out a couple of their units. A Eurorack MX602a and a Eurorack MX802a. There shoudln't be any differences between them except for size, number of channels/pres, and features. But...

The 602's pres got hissy in a hurry. Almost anything past "-10" was heading down to Shitty Sound City. White-noise-a-rama. The phantom power would not shut off, no matter how long you waited for the LED to dim. The power supply had bent pins. The knobs were set at all different tensions. It felt "cheap-o". It went back.

I tried the 802, figuring it's a good deal and that perhaps the 602 I had was just a junk model. Apparently so! :) The pres on the 802 had much more ususable gain. Nothing you could use a ribbon on ;), but something you can get good sound out of your 57s with. The power supply was in good shape and was much a beefier unit. The knobs were tensioned properly. The phantom power works as advertised (I' havent volt-metereed it though). Sound going into the hard drive from the unit sounds good. The quality difference of the parts, before taking into account the better QC, was very evident. For the extra $30 you get a much better unit overall.

I'm not gonna say that a Berry will compare to a high-end pre/console... but I've heard nice recordings come out of them.

I think MISTERQCUE got burned hard by Berry QC back in the day. I can see him itching to rant :D . IMHO (and I'm no pro): A good Berry ain't bad. But it can be hard to find the good Berry. :)

esactun said:

I think MISTERQCUE got burned hard by Berry QC back in the day. I can see him itching to rant :D . IMHO (and I'm no pro): A good Berry ain't bad. But it can be hard to find the good Berry. :)

Exacta-mundo,esactun!!! I'm NOT going to say anything about how Beh mixers suck, nor will I EVEN mention that Beh's pre's do produce sound artifacts at fader unity and at flat eq. I have made a promise to NEVER, EVER say that Beh's faders also produce "hiss" sound when phantom pwr is turned on during soft recordings on any and all channels!

I again promise to always avoid saying negative statements against Behringer mixers totally f#cked-up,overall performance even though I base my conclusions on actual usage and not hearsay!

I don't want any-1 to think that i have negative perceptions of
Behrunger mixers,so therefore I'll keep my mouth shut tight!!;)

MISTERQCUE said:

Could kindly explain to me what "JOB" does the Behringer Pre's do!!??
And what are you comparing them to?

And lastly, why do you think makes the Behringers pre's good!

I'm TRULY curious!!

IMO they "do the job" for which they are designed and I now that you are intelligent enough not to need me to tell you what that is.

On my Mixers the Mic pre-amps are quiet, offer plenty of gain and do not color the sound to any extent that makes it unpleasant.

If I do a recording of say a Sax with a decent Mic say my NT1000 and play it back on my ATC monitors it sounds as real as any recording I have heard, What more is needed?

If I really thought I needed better I would buy it.

Back