Beginner Voice Over Mic

I wouldn't say "fixation", but from the sound tests I have listened to, the large diaphragm condenser mics seem to suit my purpose/voice best. Of course I have not tried either of them yet... so I can't REALLY say. Every video I have seen, the SM57 sounds inferior to the MXL 990, at least with absolutely no post done to it.

Either way, I am currently watching quite a few eBay auctions for both the MXL 990 and the SM58. A lightly used MXL 990 went for just $30 yesterday on eBay... Also, I have noticed that the SM57/58's seem to be being faked. I am hesitant to buy one from eBay because of so.

Regarding the M Audio on Windows 7, I think any problems were a couple years ago when W7 first came out. I've not heard of any issues since then and there are a lot of M Audio interfaces out there in use.

Just to add to the confusion, I wouldn't be a fan of using an SM58 for voice work--it's forte is loud vocals up close to the mouth in a live situation. However, everyone has different tastes and priorities. Personally I find it muddy in the lows and harsh in the upper ranges.

You're right about fake 57s and 58s by the way--if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. They're about the most commonly counterfeited mics out there.

Lol, sounds like it. Well, out of pure luck, I just won a lightly used (everything still in package) MXL 990 on eBay. I got it for $50 shipped.

Now just the power supply, usb interface, XLR cables, stand, and pop filter...

Wow, this thread has taken some twists and turns. Beginning equipment for voiceovers-$200- do-able, sort of. The peripherals can kill you. My advice- skip the USB mic. Conventional gear is more versatile, more upgradeable. You need a computer interface, software, a mic, a cable, and a desk stand. It's good if the interface has at least 2 channels, so you can use music and effects without overdubbing.- The second channel comes in handy for interviews also. Most of these boxes come with software. If you don't like it, shell out a few bucks and buy Reaper. I'd look for deals on ebay, etc. I like these 2 units a lot:

M-Audio Fast Track Pro w/ Pro Tools SE | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Most Orders Ship Free!

and

Line 6 POD Studio UX2 | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Most Orders Ship Free!

Either one is about $200 new, and both come with recording software.

Then you need a mic. The cheapest wonder I've seen is:

Behringer XM8500A | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Most Orders Ship Free!

No kidding- it actually doesn't suck, and is pretty good for voiceovers.

I advise you to begin with a dynamic microphone, and try condensers later on. Of course 2 of the big 3 dynamic mics have been mentioned: Electrovoice (EV) RE20, and Shure SM7B. They left out Sennheiser MD441. Sad to say, you will need more bucks for these mics, but if you see any of them used and working, for $150 or so, grab it. Failing in that, you step down to the middle level of dynamic stage mics. Usually they are about $80-$125 new, $40-$70 or so used. There are a million. And- old ones from the 70's through the 90's, still work just fine. The classic/standard is Shure SM57 or SM58, but there are a host of others that will get the job done. Among my favorites are Sennheiser e835, AKG D690, D770, and D3800M tripower (currently being blown out by Sweetwater for $99.99- a real steal at that price). By the way- all 3 of those AKG mics are discontinued, but you can still find new ones in the box. There are some other folks on this board who have more experience with some other brands than I do, particularly EV and Audix. When it comes to the mic, buy whatever good dynamic you can find that's cheap and isn't broken. I'm not kidding about that Behringer cheapie above- it's actually a pretty good mic I'd recommend to anyone on a tight budget. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Back