Beginner Voice Over Mic

zild1221

Hi,

This is my first post here so please bear with me... As of recent, I have been more and more interested in trying my hand at doing voice overs. I have a few friends who develop games and a few who are animators. They always hire out work, so I could potentially make some money right off the bat with them. Also, I'm always told I could do voice acting.

Anyway, so you know why I am interested. I don't know if I am REALLY interested yet though, so I don't want to spend very much. I don't care if it is USB, or if I have to use an adapter/preamp. I also don't mind purchasing used equipment.

Is it possible to start as low as $100-200? Obviously the cheaper the better. If I get into it, I would gladly purchase higher quality equipment.

Anyway, I appreciate your responses. I am kind of excited to try this out.

Thanks.

How are the acoustics where you want to record? If the answer is "it's a normal room" then I might recommend a bundled package like THIS ONE. Although not quite as good as working an an acoustically treated space, the results on voice over work are surprisingly good. You'd have to add an interface--maybe the basic M Audio Fast Track with a single mic input.

I don't personally recommend USB mics because they're limiting when it comes to future expansion. If you have a USB mic and your business takes off, the day somebody says "we'd like to use you but could you rent a U87 so your sound matches existing recordings" you have to go back to square one. With a separate mic and interface, you can mix and match to your heart's content.

However, if you do decide on a USB mic, I've heard good results from somebody using a Blue Yeti Pro. This offers a USB out to start with and an XLR out for when you buy an interface or mixer. It also gives monitor outs, something most USB mics ignore.

As for second hand, there are hundreds of options out there--but it depends what you can find they day you want to buy.

Thanks for the help so far.

I've been doing some reading. If I go with a non-USB mic, it seems I need a Phantom power supply, as well as the USB interface for my PC. The M-Audio you linked seems to cover both of those aspects. With a little searching, they can be had for <$80 on eBay.

My room acoustics are actually fairly decent. I play drums and am an audiophile (high end or DIY speakers and headphones coupled with lossless audio). I have my room ideally setup for music listening.

I read a few reviews and listened to a few tests of the sE X1, and liked what I saw/heard. However, coupled with the power source and USB interface, it comes in over what I want to spend. Going through Amazon, there are probably 20-40 condenser mics either under, at, or close to $100. Is there anything you would recommend in that price range? I can't forget that I also will need a pop filter and stand. I suppose my budget will have to account for those, so $100 for the mic seems as high as I can go really (for now).

Thanks once again. I appreciate the help.

Well, a couple of things:

First regarding acoustics, what works for instruments like drums is NOT so suitable for voice over work. For most musical instruments (or even singing) you want the "air" from a nice sounding room. For voice work, you want the acoustic as near dead as possible so that the voice can be treated in the mix to match other elements. I've yet to see an untreated "normal" room that was much use for the spoken word. Just something to consider....

As for the mic, I think you might do better with a good second hand mic than something that fits your tight budget as new--trouble is, it depends on what you see on fleabay (or wherever) on the day.

For new, you might want to look at the AT2020 which sounds pretty good for the money--or maybe an MXL990. The AT is a bit brighter at the top end while the MXL is a bit warmer at the expense of detail. It depends on what suits your voice.

Anyway, somebody will be along in a minute telling you to look for a used large dynamic mic like an EV RE20 or SM7B. If you can find one in your budget, they might be an option--but they will be a much warmer and less crisp sound--more radio announcer than TV/game V/O, so it depends on what you want.

Bobbsy's right. Ultimately it depends on what you want, and there surely will be an re20/sm7b fanclub along soon to advise.
I'm a member! :p

If you happen to go the separate interface and mic route though, there's nothing wrong with an sm58....seriously.

Just to highlight the importance of room treatment, a user on here did a before and after room treatment recording.
His treatment was minimal but the results were huge.
I can't remember his name to credit him; If anyone remembers, please let me know.
The clip is here.

Hello Paul. I heard that there was a RE20 and SM7b fanclub meeting here. Where did they set up the buffet?

I put some cheap, sweet sherry over there, Henry....since the fan club seems to like dark, warm things with not much output!

Thanks Bob. Got anything to eat? Paul devoured the buffet right down to the crackers at the cheese station.

Last edited:
I put some cheap, sweet sherry over there, Henry....since the fan club seems to like dark, warm things with not much output!

Not much output but with nearly 18 thousand post some would say thats a lot of input.
I hope they've got sausage rolls on the buffet.
and a bit of milk stout for the chairman

Not much output but with nearly 18 thousand post some would say thats a lot of input.
I hope they've got sausage rolls on the buffet.
and a bit of milk stout for the chairman

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Milk Stout. Excuse my drool.

Someone should hack all Tim Obrien's posts to read

"My obligatory standard reply that I keep in Wordpad for newbies:

Buy an re20/sm7b"

;)

Someone should hack all Tim Obrien's posts to read

"My obligatory standard reply that I keep in Wordpad for newbies:

Buy an re20/sm7b"

;)

That is a great reply from Tim - I think that it needs a bit of updating.
Though I should give it a reading once again. Maybe it has with stood the test of time.

Wow it gets derailed quick around here. =]

In all seriousness, the MXL 990 looks pretty good for the money to start off. I don't have a SUPER low voice, but it is a little lower than midrange I would say. From the tests I have heard, it may suit me well.

Thanks so far, I will keep you guys updated.

EDIT: I have been reading up on the M-Audio Fast Track, and I see that many people complain of problems that prevent complete use in Win 7.

I have been looking at other usb interfaces, and I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking at the Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio and the Nady SMPS-1X 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply. I can't post links yet, but they are both on Amazon.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Well, looking at the budget (did anyone else look) I would get an SM58 with a good quality wind sock. Cheap, no phantom required, and good rejection for bad sounding rooms. I work at a community radio station and this is what we use for on air mics and it works very well.

Don't forget the US president speaks through a pair of SM57's.

Alan.

Wow it gets derailed quick around here. =]

In all seriousness, the MXL 990 looks pretty good for the money to start off. I don't have a SUPER low voice, but it is a little lower than midrange I would say. From the tests I have heard, it may suit me well.

Thanks so far, I will keep you guys updated.

EDIT: I have been reading up on the M-Audio Fast Track, and I see that many people complain of problems that prevent complete use in Win 7.

I have been looking at other usb interfaces, and I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking at the Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio and the Nady SMPS-1X 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply. I can't post links yet, but they are both on Amazon.

What do you guys think?

That's not really derailing - we were bantering amongst ourselves several hours prier while awaiting your return to chat with you on this matter.

So I take it that you have an fixation on having a large diaphragm condenser then?

Back