Beginner Recording Setup?

amphlett7

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and I'm seeking out a bit of help.

Over the past year I've been looking into studio and live audio engineering as a career, and I visited a local place in my city that focuses on stuff like this, and it's where I plan to study at when I finish school.

But before I go to that place I want to gain some experience in recording.

I want to get a small (but good) recording setup, The most likely situation would be using a PC with a USB mixer, but I'm not that experienced with gear, and I need advice on a few things.

1) What do I need for a simple recording setup.
2) Where can I find some guides to recording.
3) whats the best value setup.

I know this question has probably been asked before but I thought I'd be more comfortable just asking.

My price range is maximum AU$700, I'm a high school student, and cant afford that much, but I'm sure that there's something good available for me.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi,

Find an interface you can afford. Remember the more I/O the more things you can record at the same time.

You will need a means to monitor your mixing. One inexpensive way is a pair of headphones. As you grow you could later invest in a pair of monitors and still use your headphones for tracking.

I would start off by just recording a guitar and vocals. Using the search on this site will do you wonders.

1) What type of music are you planning on starting to record?
2) What do you have for equipment now (ie. compuer, mics, etc.)
3) Have you done a search in this section of the forum? The same question has been asked more than a couple of times.
Read all the articles on this website, look at all the forum post, do some reading elsewhere, too.

For an interface i recommend a M-audio Mobilepre. You can buy one from ebay for $50 + shipping. It's what i used when i first started. If you want to record drums at this level, you can either buy another one of these and have 4 inputs (overhead, snare+hihat, kick, toms+crash/ride), or buy a powered mixer (not as good quality), but more inputs. This means you also have to buy more mics though.

So I would just go with the Mobilepre(s) for now and make sure you're into it enough to really make the investment that it's gonna take to get really good recordings. Mobilepres are really great interfaces though.

If you look into them and think you may want one i think i still have mine, and I'll sell it for $50+ shipping. It's in mint condition.

1) What type of music are you planning on starting to record?
2) What do you have for equipment now (ie. compuer, mics, etc.)
3) Have you done a search in this section of the forum? The same question has been asked more than a couple of times.
Read all the articles on this website, look at all the forum post, do some reading elsewhere, too.

1) Mainly acoustic stuff of mine, my friends band, and my band
2) Right now all I have is a PC, I was asking for a list of basic stuff that I need, so I could go to my local music store and have them elaborate for me.
2) I should have done that, it would have wielded some interesting threads, relevant to this topic.

Do you have any specific links? right now all I have is a couple of books on audio engineering that I'm reading through, and the internet is a good resource for this kind of info.

Thanks alot guys

for an interface the alesis multimix 8 is a good model. you get enough room for drums. i mean for a small operation you wont need to upgrade for a long time.

then concentrate on microphones. i would suggest investing in an SM57. its a workhorse. and only 100 bucks

and a god vocal mic. for starting out the MXL 990 991 pack is a good deal at 100 bucks too. (and a pop filter for vox)

after that and accessories its about getting a software to record too. thats mostly preference. i would say get logic express cuz its fairly cheap and i use logic pro so i can speak too its worth. but you have a PC

maybe another PCer can speak on software... ne one?

Back