Beginner Here, Need Advice on Preamps, Interfaces, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
Currently I'm at school and looking to get a cheap(ish) portable recording setup that I can use to record acoustic instruments (primarily guitar) and vocals, but that I can expand to eventually record say a 5-piece band.

I will be mixing using software (Reaper).

Currently I have an AKG Perception 200, a Shure PG58, and a pair of MoreMe headphones on the way from Harvey Gerst.

I'd like to get a simple preamp for the mic and look into getting a firewire interface for my computer.

I've seen people recommend the ART preamps. Is there a huge difference between the ART Studio and ART Project preamps?

What other gear would you guys recommend as necessary to get good sounding tracks recorded and mixed?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Well....Bump, and I suppose I'll add some more because no one replied.

I've been doing some ammount of recording for the past two years. A buddy of mine and I made two albums using nothing more than our guitars (Direct out into preamps then into computer), a Shure PG58 (for vocals), an acoustic guitar amp (on the first album), a Peavey powered mixer (on the second album), a variety of effects pedals, and Audacity.

Now that was fine to get our ideas down on listenable (a matter of opinion I suppose =P) tracks. My buddy is fine with this style, but I, however, am interested in more.

Mostly I'll be recording my own tracks with instruments including acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, banjo, mandolin, piano, dulcimer, congas, and a full trap set. Now I understand that to collect the equipment to record all of these well will take time...but, I at least want to start small and give myself the ability to record acoustic guitar and vocals while I'm at school. This is gear list of sorts thus far:

Gear I have:
- Laptop with Reaper, ACID, Audacity, FL Studio, and Adobe Audition
- Peavey Powered Mixer (More for live PA system, only 1 Main send)
- AKG Perception 200
- Shure PG58
- MoreMe Headphones (for tracking)
* Just been adapting a 1/4" cable to an 1/8" and going into the stock soundcard on my laptop...this probably makes most of you cringe, haha but I've worked with what I had so far

Gear I think I should get (Criticisms and Suggestions More than Welcome)
- Some sort of MIDI control surface (keyboard)
- Preamps (ART Tube?)
- Mixing board (Behringer UB802 maybe)
- Firewire interface (not sure what I want but I'd like to have between 2 and 5 in's and, best case scenario, 10 outs)
- Monitors (When I can afford some...suggestions for around $100?)
- 2 SM57's

Mostly I'm a beginner who has some experience, had a small taste of the music recording and producing process and wants as much more as I can get...I'm just a little lost on where to start. I know after reading through these boards that there are many extremely talented and knowledgeable individuals who post here and I hope to tap some of you for assistance. Thanks for reading all the way to here if you made it..haha, hope to get any sort of feedback soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back