Been a long time...

ksounds

Hey everyone.

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I go through periods of playing music, and putting it down completely. Lately, I've been itching to record, so I put a quick song together. This one was done in garageband with a Rode NT-3. It's called "I Know Why". In fact, it's the first thing I've done in months. My little one takes up all my free time lately. I'm a little rusty. It's pretty much keeping to what I was doing last year. Thanks for listening.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=935364

Kids - they are a lot of work.....they're a full time job in themselves.

The recording sounds pretty good. As soon as it started I thought - "Too much reverb" - for a reverb junkie like me that's saying something....lol..
Loved the lyrics.... Glad you got a chance to record. We all go through dry spells, be it not always of our own making....:cool:

Kids - they are a lot of work.....they're a full time job in themselves.

The recording sounds pretty good. As soon as it started I thought - "Too much reverb" - for a reverb junkie like me that's saying something....lol..
Loved the lyrics.... Glad you got a chance to record. We all go through dry spells, be it not always of our own making....:cool:

Thanks ido. I remixed this based on your feedback. It's a very simple song, so I may have over compensated with a bit too much reverb initially. I tried adding some additional over dubs, but in the end just pulled them out. They didn't fit. Anyway, I think you were right. Thanks.

i guess i'm listening to the remix version and i think the reverb sounds just right. very clear recording. is a live thing done in one shot? if isn't there's a p popping sound somewhere in the middle that you could probably punch in and fix pretty easily. not a big deal but that sound always bugs. good stuff overall though.

Oh, I listened to this a few days ago but forgot to post a comment.
I really liked this - so simple, yet effective. It's got a confidence to it and the hook and vocal is so appealing it works well.
I agree with the stripped down-ness. I'd have done the same - tried to add some thing then taken it out. Sounds perfect as it is.

nice 'n haunting.

intomusic

Nice to hear from you again. I remember fondly when I stumbled upon your analog recordings. Any chance you'll resurrect the "Under the Ashes" song (get it?)?

I like the simplicity of it. Yeah, didn't notice anything with the reverb, sounds right. Did you record guitar with just the NT-3?

Really cool. Felt like I was in the room with ya.

The popping P was at 1:57. Not too bad though, at least you didn't get spittle on me. :D

Nice to hear from you again. I remember fondly when I stumbled upon your analog recordings. Any chance you'll resurrect the "Under the Ashes" song (get it?)?

I like the simplicity of it. Yeah, didn't notice anything with the reverb, sounds right. Did you record guitar with just the NT-3?

Thanks for the kind words Mellotron. I remember you and all my old analog friends, and I have been visiting frequently, just not posting or recording. I sold alot of that stuff to help buy gear for my other hobby (photography and video production). I really enjoyed recording to that format and using all that great hardware. It just got to a point where I wasn't using it and it was a bit of over-kill for the simple kind of stuff I rarely do anyway. I still prefer the format to digital though :D Under the ashes? Glad you remember that one, wow. We'll see about digging that one up (;)) I'll try and hang around more often.

Yes, the NT-3 was the only microphone used for this recording. Single mono track, right above the twelth fret aimed down.

Really cool. Felt like I was in the room with ya.

The popping P was at 1:57. Not too bad though, at least you didn't get spittle on me. :D

Ha. The microphone was not so lucky. Thanks for the comments guys.

Sounds okay. Not much to it. Not much dynamics. Pretty much the same all the way through but it sounds okay. Good to get your feet wet again, huh?

Sounds okay. Not much to it. Not much dynamics. Pretty much the same all the way through but it sounds okay. Good to get your feet wet again, huh?

I think you hit it. Just trying to get my feet wet. It is very simple, admittedly. But, I've always found it an interesting challenge to write a simple 3 chord song, and yet keep the listener listening (al la Nick Drake's Pink Moon, among others). With that in mind, I really focused on the lyrics of this one, and tried to create some sort of emotional impact at the end. The song starts of with one person in a certain light, and by the end you realize it's not that way at all. Musically there's not much there, but maybe the lyrics are where the real dynamics of the song live. Does that sound like a load of bs or what:D

I think you hit it. Just trying to get my feet wet. It is very simple, admittedly. But, I've always found it an interesting challenge to write a simple 3 chord song, and yet keep the listener listening (al la Nick Drake's Pink Moon, among others). With that in mind, I really focused on the lyrics of this one, and tried to create some sort of emotional impact at the end. The song starts of with one person in a certain light, and by the end you realize it's not that way at all. Musically there's not much there, but maybe the lyrics are where the real dynamics of the song live. Does that sound like a load of bs or what:D

Definitely a load of BS. I personally never listen to people's lyrics. I listen for mix issues. I listen to how they sit and I listen to the vocal melody, but I turn off the actual words. You could be chanting a nazi pedophile manifesto and I'd have no idea. :D

You could be chanting a nazi pedophile manifesto and I'd have no idea. :D

Ohhh...you're gonna love my next track then:D!

I, like greg, generally don't pay attention to lyrics, but I do like the performance and the mix on this. It sounds bright but not brittle...natural but not too wet...

Good to hear your stuff again...I was just checking a link to your old music page on soundclick which appears to be devoid of tunes now...bummer.

Ohhh...you're gonna love my next track then:D!

I, like greg, generally don't pay attention to lyrics, but I do like the performance and the mix on this. It sounds bright but not brittle...natural but not too wet...

Good to hear your stuff again...I was just checking a link to your old music page on soundclick which appears to be devoid of tunes now...bummer.

Hey heat! Don't pay attention to lyrics?!? You always have some of the most interesting lyrics! Nice to hear from you. I just left you some feedback on your recent post. Cool stuff.

Thanks for the mix comments. Glad you liked it. As far as the stuff on my old soundclick not being there anymore, I just took it all done for whatever reason. Wipe the slate clean and start over. I'm weird like that. There is an additional song posted to this soundclick page from the 424mkII recordings called "I Can Take It" that I posted for some friends to listen to. I consider it the bookend to this new song, in that it kind of completes the story of this relationship in turmoil that began with "I Can Take It" and now ends with "I Know Why". Two diferent sounding songs, but from an analog/digital perspective, you can hear the differences. Both were recorded with the NT-3. I'm a little partial to "I Can Take It", if not for the synth breakdown alone. But I think they work well together. Thanks for listening and I look forward to more of your stuff!

Don't pay attention to lyrics?!?

As far as the stuff on my old soundclick not being there anymore, I just took it all done for whatever reason.

Man, I was down as a fan of that page too...sniff :( But, it is cool to start fresh - you're entitled to it. I will check out the other tune shortly...

Yeah, with the lyrics thing...I eventually tune in to what the singer is saying after repeatedly hearing a tune, but primarily I am interested in the sound of the voice as an instrument and the melody being sung. If someone has a pleasant voice singing an interesting melody, I could listen to them sing about toenails or dingleberries or whatever...:p

Having said all that, your tale here sounds sincere, somewhat familiar, yet new - which is nice :)

Oh yeah - listening to I Can Take It right now...sounds way nice! I love when the bass first comes in...sounds really cool :D

It's simple and catchy, but not annoying like most simple and catchy tunes are.

Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from with the not paying attention to lyrics. Usually if the words sound cool, I can look past the fact that it seems random, like Beck or Pavement. But usually I can get the feeling even with all the randomness -- or not even the lyrics themselves, but how they sing them.

Sold your equipment? I'm guessing you kept your Micron though? I thought about selling mine so I could get a better guitar and focus on getting better at guitar, but I decided it was too versatile/fun to mess around with to sell.

Yeah, I haven't checked up here for awhile...makes me want to start recording again.

Both tunes are pretty cool, with my nod going to "I Can Take It". Ever heard of the band James? Reminded me of them for some reason. Cool stuff dood.

If it's in your blood, you don't stop, eventually you start again. I stopped making music for about 3 years and when it hit me again it was like the flood ....and that was 4 years ago!

Song's very nice, basic and honest. Very nice voice and a good acoustic sound. Keep going now! ;)

Joey :):):):)

Back