Beck, Ghost or anyone....question about stand-alone CD recorder.

kensington

Has anyone any experience or familiarity with either the Yamaha CDR-HD1300 or CDR-HD1500? These are hard disk/CD consumer recorders that seem similar to the Alesis Masterlink. I'm mainly interested in the perceived sound quality(s) and would be using it to copy half-track analog masters to HD/CD.....maybe sometimes mixing direct to hard disk. I'm looking at/for a Fostex CR300 or Pioneer PDR-555rw, but the HD option still interests me a bit. Many thanks for any feedback from newbies to Yodas. KK

I don't know anything about the Yamaha units, but of course the Alesis Masterlink is nice.

The Pioneer based units are my favs though. I have the Fostex CR300. IMO, the sound quality is as good as CDR can get and it’s been very reliable. I would get another if the one I have broke down, or an HHB CDR850, which is exactly the same as the Fostex, except for the color… both made by Pioneer. I used to have the Pioneer PDR-555RW as well. Sounded great and did a good job for a consumer unit.

The only caution is that HHB CDR850 owners tend to love these units to death. You may come across units on eBay and such that are just plain worn out and have some type of issue. Both the Fostex and HHB are professional units, so get a lot of use in busy commercial environments. There are a couple known issues but they can be easily fixed by the end user if they crop up.

The stand-alone units write in real time 1X, of course. Most HD units write to the disc at much faster speeds, but it depends on how you work whether that will be an advantage or not. I do little to no editing in the digital realm for most serious work. I master to half-track open-reel, transfer to CDR and make what copies I need of the CD master at higher speed on my PC using a Sony burner. There are many ways to skin that cat (no offence to cats… they’re cool). :)

stand-alone cd

Thanks Beck. Outta curiosity, what do you track to as your main recorder? I imagine it's analog since this is the analog forum. thanks, KK

I believe its a TSR-8...Can't recall his mastering deck...

Yeah Tascam TSR-8 for analog and Echo Layla for digital.

Both of these products rock!

IMO, Tascam hit a major home run with the TSR/MSR series... love them to pieces.

No, I'm not selling... :p I'm passing them down to my sons with grandpa's Iver Johnson 16Ga shotgun. ;)

Yup, a modified Tascam 22-2 is my reel-to-reel mixdown machine. :)

Back