Beautiful Loser/Jacqueline

macle

Hi everyone,
I was going through some stuff I did before, and I thought I'd post a couple to see what you guys thought. I did these on a Roland VS 8 track deal. All different gear, before I got the Paris based setup I've been using.

One is another sort of overly Beatlesque tune :rolleyes: , and the other is, I don't know, a little pop tune.

Any and all feedback would be great.

Beautiful Loser
http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/3songs

Jacqueline
http://angelfire.com/music5/macle

Thanks a lot,
macle

Excellent tunes man!"listening to beatiful loser" right now...Cool musical riffs and the vocal hooks and harmonies are great....I guess this is the one thats beatlesque?Nice stuff man.Cool changes in this tune.

Listening to "Jacqueline ".Nice melody and vocal hooks AGAIN.Nice piano break.The vocals on these recordings are a lot more out front than the stuff on your newer recording setup.This tune seems a little more stripped down compared to your usual mass production.Thats not a complaint just an observation......I really like it man......have you thought about revisiting these tunes and recorded them with your newer setup?

Cool tunes all the way around Macle.Thanks for posting them man!;)

beautiful loser......great title......!!
very cool song.....and yes beatles..but why not sound like the best bend in the world????....the vocals remind me as well of that band ..."fastball"....who i love as well.....man you sure have a handle on your recording ...good lord...great job....a belittling job to some of us.....but a great job nine the less.........:D ..man at the very very end i can hear something......like chairs moving or something????.......maybe its just me....you wouldnt of possible left that in there right?????

cool song
jamal

Kramer-Hey man, thanks. Yeah, the vocals, and the sound in general, seems pretty different, I think. There are some things I like better about these, oddly. Jacqueline is a lot simpler, that was the first song I did on the Roland 8 track, so I was sort of finding my way. I might do Beautiful Loser again. Max really likes it, and learned the bass to it, so...Thanks again!

jamal-Thanks. Fastball is a great band, I appreciate the comparison. That sound is the end is Max walking in the room just as I was finishing a take, door creak, footsteps, and I'm looking at her, like"shhhhh!", and then she says, "I didn't do anything." I thought it was funny, so I left it in, but I cut out her talking on this mp3, should of left it in, I suppose. Thanks for checking out the tune!

pglewis-Sorry about that, I think it's back up now.

Charva-Thanks a lot, I appreciate it greatly. The money should be rolling in any day now! :rolleyes: Thanks again.

To the star raters, what's up? The star thing is starting to get me down. 6 votes, 3 replies. I'm guessing the 3 who didn't reply, voted low, just like on my last Mastering Game thread. What's the deal? I wish the low voters would speak up, instead of anonymously star rating, so I could learn what you don't like.

Thanks,
macle

macle said:

To the star raters, what's up? The star thing is starting to get me down. 6 votes, 3 replies. I'm guessing the 3 who didn't reply, voted low, just like on my last Mastering Game thread. What's the deal? I wish the low voters would speak up, instead of anonymously star rating, so I could learn what you don't like.

Thanks,
macle

There are a few dick-heads on the board who hate to get the attention diverted away from themselves so they get their childish kicks by giving people who are "MUCH BETTER" than they are a one star rating.

Just ignore them or tell them to FUCK OFF.

Im convinced it's one,maybe 2 people with multiple accounts voting.

Again I say,FUCK THEM.

Screw the stars..............

...........I never even look at them. I always get the feeling that some people just run around and "lowstar" threads. Means nothing.

These are a couple of fine songs...........especially, especially "Beautiful Loser". The structure of it and the progression through the chords is really awesome. It goes on my download for sure and I don't keep that many. A really fine tune.

The mix on both songs seems to lack that 'sparkle' at the top end. The top end sounded rolled-off to me and I'd like to hear them EQed a little differently; maybe bump it up 1 or 2 db up around 8k to 10k. I bet that would give some life to it. That's really all I can say....the performances are good and the mix and recording are good (except for that 'sparkle thing). And the writing............man Beautiful Loser is just too fine. :)

macle said:
I might do Beautiful Loser again. Max really likes it, and learned the bass to it, so...Thanks again!

Thats a good idea man.It's a wonderful song as Lt. Bob pointed out.Id like to hear it redone.Im sure you've even heard a few more things that could be added/subtracted to bring it to the next level.

Beatiful Loser is done quite well..........pretty flawless production and a solid tune too.........i've got no suggestions, good work........and i'll give you some more stars

macle said:

Thanks,
macle

lol....i have watched my songs by refreshing the screen lose 3 stars in like 3 minutes with no actual replies so i agree stars dont mean a thing .....im not saying my song didnt DESERVE 3 stars just that it was obvious that someone was purposely rating it low.....no biggie ...im sure tommy mottolla can see right thru the stars ...:D

jamal.....and yes
beautiful loser is STILL a great song inspite of it's "star-ness"..

Hey Macle,
.......for some reason this came up on the Win. media player...... and ive learned in the past that it sucks for decent audio.......dunno why. Anyways....... Im gonna avoid commenting on mix right now. The song is great! Very nice melody, and yup..... very beatles. I like alot!
Great stuff man,

G

w/ 5 to help straighten out those bogus stars :mad:

another perfect production.. It's cool hearing this was done on a Roland 8 track machine because it sounds like a pro job.. really nice vocals man.. do you use auto tune? I know that's considered an insult by some, but I have actually been considering trying it.. I heard some things where it was used well.. I cant get to the second song now because your over the bandwith, but beautiful loser was excellent.. I'll check out the other one when they let me..

and dude, fuck the stars! My tune before last had 11 votes and 2 stars! :eek:

late..

macle said:
To the star raters, what's up? ... I wish the low voters would speak up, instead of anonymously star rating, so I could learn what you don't like.
My Brother, I feel your pain. Last time I checked, I had 5 "1 star" votes, and 4 of 'em showed up in like 10 minutes. That'd be fine, if somebody told me I suck. For some fucked reason, they haven't.

But anyway...I think it was probably my fault that you exceeded your bandwidth limitations...I listened to "Beautiful Loser" at work on a loop for at least an hour. Nice. Wish I could help your recordings...All I can do is vote for you!!!

Chris

Someone added 3 more 1 stars since I whined! :rolleyes: :p :( :eek: :mad: :D

I didn't mean to make a big deal over it, but I get the feeling it's personal, cuz I see some threads that are doing fine, and the same thing happened on my last thread. It's not the stars that bother me, it's just the idea that someone has a problem with me. But if it's just someone goofing, than, whatever, what a fun way to spend the day! :rolleyes: I'll take it as a compliment that someone wants to take the time to knock me! Also, I wouldn't normally ever do this, but since Kramer said it was okay, to the dickhead(s): FUCK YOU!

Anyway...

Kramer-Thanks, man.

Lt. Bob-Thanks a lot! I've got a lot of songs laying around, and I think, what a drag they won't be on our CD. I hear what your saying about the sparkle. Probably, I guess, cuz of the RolandVS, and I think I used an Art DualMP preamp. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Kramer-Hopefully, I'll get around to it...I've got a bunch of new songs, too. There just is no time for anything!

powderfinger-Thanks very much, and thanks for the sympathy stars. :D

jamal-That's really pathetic and childish that someone would do that, but could be worse, I suppose. Thanks again.

Guernica-Thanks for the comments on the songs and stuff. If you get a chance on the mix, there's nothing I can really do about it now, but I do wonder how it compares with the newer stuff, since I've upgraded and hopefully improved, mixing-wise. Thanks.

Macle

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/3songs
http://angelfire.com/music5/macle

B. Sabbath-Thanks man! In many ways, I actually think I enjoyed making music more on the Roland 8 track than on Paris, even with all it's limitations. I may go back to something like that. There may be something evil about computers!

These songs have *NO* autotune!!!

Although in a few spots, I wish they did!! I do use it now, I talked about this before, I don't think it's any big deal. I don't really like it, and just use it to fix little spots where it needs it. But use it in graphic mode, not auto mode, and also, it won't fix/change the pitch of gruff/throaty type singing. Thanks a lot for checking out the tune!

Chris-Yeah, the star thing is really stupid. I wish it wasn't there at all. Who needs it? Seems it just gives assholes a way to be assholes. 'Course, I'm sure the assholes will think of other ways to be assholes. Thanks a lot for checking out the tune, I appreciate it.

Macle

chrisharris said:

But anyway...I think it was probably my fault that you exceeded your bandwidth limitations...I listened to "Beautiful Loser" at work on a loop for at least an hour.

stop doing that chris!!!! just download the f__ing thing once and play it from your pc. everytime i go to download a macle tune i get that damn message about bandwidth. they should rewrite the message to say "sorry, but chrisharris refuses to right click and download the file so you're shit out of luck sucker!" better yet, macle why don't you just sign up at nowhere?

i got through to jacqueline though. nice song. i really like the melody. course i like most of your songs. i'd say that the paris setup was a good upgrade but i'm listening on a soundblaster card right now so i can't really comment on the quality of the sound as it seems this card makes everything sound worse!

so are you putting together a whole cd that we can buy soon?

i can say that the piano is a little too fake sounding. played it just fine but the sound is a bit fakish (is that a word). i'd like to hear you redo this in your standard pro setting.

hi macle..

never heard your stuff, but i think its great

stars mean nothing? take it with a grain of salt.

I signed onto my other computer to give you more stars if that helps..

anyways... good luck to you!

Just listened to Jacqueline.
A beautiful tune, very pleasant listen!
Blended really well. Your vocals are first class!
Couldn't get to Beautiful Loser for some reason (temporary )

I confess when I first started visiting the clinic I would see something with 5 stars and it would be my first listen. After a while I learned to watch the "views and replies" and thats what will steer you to the best stuff. Also, when I hear something that stinks I just move on. Giving someone one star in this forum is downright rude if you aren't willing to say why!!
People come here to learn from guys like you macle, words from my mouth won't ease the frustration of the "one star bandits"
The people who know who you are will flock to your postings regardless. Most people here have already summed it up best.

Fuck 'em

I am grateful for each tune you share!

Joel

erichenryus said:
stop doing that chris!!!! just download the f__ing thing once and play it from your pc...

macle why don't you just sign up at nowhere?
BAHAHAhahahhahaaha! Sorry.... I always download at home, but I'm firewalled at work. The genius who setup our LAN decided that downloading content from the internet was bad, but it's perfectly fine for people to stream media all day long.

Honestly, I didn't know it was a problem to anybody outside of my firm :D (slow emails thanks to chris). Won't happen again.

:D
:D
Doesn't seem to be a problem at sites that AREN'T angelfire...

NWR Rules

Back