bass truss rod problem

ralf

i have a problem with my fender p-bass special truss rod. I went to turn the nut a little bit with the allen wrench and when i went to make another small turn, the nut came out stuck on the allen wrench.

My problem is that i cannot get the nut back onto the truss rod. it's like the threads won't catch and i can't make enough of a turn with the allen wrench.

Does anybody have any advice on how to solve this problem? thanks alot for your help!

Ralf

um, well i can tell you that you have a problem... i work in a music store and im the main guy as far as working on instruments and equiptment. this has never happened to me.

which way did you go, when you went to far? this is critical- if you loosened it up too much, you might be able to fix it. if you tightened too much, you stripped out the bolt or the threads on the rod itself.

get a T-handle allen wrench, it is a lil easier to work with. i know what your talking about, but refer to it as the bolt, because the nut is the plastic/bone/graphite part that has the grooves in which the strings lay in and people can get confused.

ralf said:
i have a problem with my fender p-bass special truss rod. I went to turn the nut a little bit with the allen wrench and when i went to make another small turn, the nut came out stuck on the allen wrench.

My problem is that i cannot get the nut back onto the truss rod. it's like the threads won't catch and i can't make enough of a turn with the allen wrench.

Does anybody have any advice on how to solve this problem? thanks alot for your help!

Ralf

Yeah, it can probably go back on, but it can be a bit of a PITA. The truss rod is frequently being held in place by the truss rod nut on those things, so when the nut comes off the truss rod can get off center in such a way that getting the nut back on is a real nightmare. The question is, why were you loosening it that much? More to the point, which way did the neck need to go? If you can't tell me, then do yourself a favor and don't mess with your truss rod again, because there is no reason for this to ever be a problem, if you know what you are doing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back