Bass Amps

cheeserandyburg

I'll be picking up a bass in the next month or so, and I need a combo-amp for recording, but mostly for home use thats loud enough for around $599 (nothing over that, unless theres good reasons for it :D )

I really like the Ampeg Solid state series ( ampeg.com/products/bassamp/index.html ) ( no tube amps please )

Anybody have any experience with these, or any other brands that are WORTH lookin' at and purchasing?

I don't need any 600watt beasts..just something for home, and powerful enough to play with a band. Also, only solid state combo's, no tubes please!

Thanks! :)

I'll be picking up a bass in the next month or so, and I need a combo-amp for recording

Do yourself a huge favor and record bass direct, whether you have a good amp or not. $25-$30 on a BDI21 is the best money you can spend for recording bass. Fully 95% as good as the corresponding SansAmp at around $200 street.

I really like the Ampeg Solid state series ( ampeg.com/products/bassamp/index.html ) ( no tube amps please )
I have the BA112 and the B-100R. Both are nice amps for home practice, but neither are going to stand up with a gigging band. They're also wildly overpriced, particularly now that current production is downsourced to Vietnam and still experiencing teething problems.
I don't need any 600watt beasts..just something for home, and powerful enough to play with a band.

A home amp and a band amp are two different things.

The biggest amp mistake bassists make is under-amping and trying to wring more volume than they should out of too few watts when playing with a band. You can't have too much amp, but you can have too little -- and you're not saving money when you blow it or the speaker, or both, as people do with depressing regularity.

If I were trying to save money, I'd get a solid-state power amp, bridge it and put some kind of a frontend like a SansAmp/BDI21, preamp or modeler in front of it, rack it and get a good used, low-mileage 4x10" cab. Used cabs are cheap. I've gotten near-mint Goliath IIIs here for $300 and even less for less-popular brands of equal quality.

I've seen this same advice from nearly every gigging pro who's been asked.

Acoustic B200H/115

$400 for head and cab, 200 watts, 15" speaker.
I'm not 100% convinced about this new Bain Capital proprietary :rolleyes:, but if you order one in the next few days, the shipping's free (as opposed to an additional $70-$80 normally) -- though they're backordered about six weeks.

If you like these, that's a persuasive deal.

The Behri BDI21 is really good & I use it often in line or as a straight DI.
I used a marshall Superbass MkII into a 200w Etone box for gigging and now use it, with a tubecube attenuator, for recording/home playing.
Please explain why you're so specific about no valve amp.

Acoustic B200H/115

$400 for head and cab, 200 watts, 15" speaker.

Actually, upon close inspection, it's 200 watts at 4 ohms, and the cab is 8 ohms...So by itself, it'll be putting 100 watts.

I hate how they do that :rolleyes:

Still a great deal though.

Alright, I still haven't made up my mind.

But the GIGGING thing isn't important now, I basically just need something loud enough for home, and thats not a big issue.. just a questions of choices! :eek:

There's so much stuff out there, and I'm not to familiar with the less known ones.

i've heard good things about the bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B100R-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481773 that was provided. I even played on one and was quiet happy. But before making any purchases I wanna see what else is out there, perhaps even better for the same price.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone :D

Please explain why you're so specific about no valve amp.

Main reason is maintenance. I don't wanna be worrying about tubes, etc. Solid state just gives me more ease, and less trouble.

If you like bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494"]these[/URL], that's a persuasive deal

Whats the reputation on those (company reputation) ?
Since I'm primarely a guitar player, this whole "buying a bass amp" is foriegn territory to me :confused: Just not that familiar with those brands.
Thanks!

I've had my marshall since '86 (bought 2nd hand) and the only thing I had done was a tube upgrade - not needed just fancied doing it. NO PROBLEM at all (said with knuckles rapping furiously against timber).

Get a BDI21 and save about $180 to get a virtually identical result, though it'd be nice to have the SansAmp's phantom power in the studio.

The BDI21 is a great way to record bass on the cheap.

I'm hearing mixed things about this...alot of people seem to like it on their board but not as a D.I. Looks good for the money though!

I've made up my mind. It's either the Traynor 'DynaBass 200' or the Ampeg 'B100R' Both are solid buys from what I know, and are identical in price.

What do you guys think is better?
I know I'll probably try both out in the store when I get the chance. But which one would be the better buy in the long run?

Whats the reputation on those (company reputation) ?
Since I'm primarely a guitar player, this whole "buying a bass amp" is foriegn territory to me :confused: Just not that familiar with those brands.
Thanks!
Acoustic's Rep during the 70s-early 80's= rock solid. An Iconic Brand, along with Sunn.
Rep mid-eighties to ending of production= pieces of crap.
New incarnation= beginning to build a decent rep. Louder than what the wattage would indicate. Good construction. But, its in the expected higher powered amps where the true shall be known.

Ampeg's are now known for its high power SVT tube head and massive 8x10 cabs. Combo's are solid studio amp, but considered a bit quiet for stage use. Excellent tone!
Traynor's= They aie-'ight. In my personal experience, they seemed a bit lame, but that was about 36 years ago. A lot of guys at Talkbass.com seem to like the higher powered tube heads.

However...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNN-190B-BASS-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SUNN-SB...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunn-Concert-Ba...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Acoustic's Rep during the 70s-early 80's= rock solid. An Iconic Brand, along with Sunn.
Rep mid-eighties to ending of production= pieces of crap.
New incarnation= beginning to build a decent rep. Louder than what the wattage would indicate. Good construction. But, its in the expected higher powered amps where the true shall be known.

Ampeg's are now known for its high power SVT tube head and massive 8x10 cabs. Combo's are solid studio amp, but considered a bit quiet for stage use. Excellent tone!
Traynor's= They aie-'ight. In my personal experience, they seemed a bit lame, but that was about 36 years ago. A lot of guys at Talkbass.com seem to like the higher powered tube heads.

Thanks for the explaination! Time to go shopping! :)

Back