Basement Wet/Dry room.

Dark Fader

I am planning on builing a meager studio in my basement this summer. I really would like to have the room have some nice natural accoustical properties, although this is not the "trendy" thing to do. I also would like the opportunity to take them out. I think I can do this by making the room with good accoustical properties, like a natural reverb, and then covering the walls with carpet padding or whatever. Sounds good, except I have a small room. I wonder if I would just get "bouncy" reflections that hit the mic like a slap in the face, rather than the complex reflections that make a nice reverb. The ceiling is about 8ft tall or so. The room I'll be building will probobly be about 15ft x 15ft or so... Can I get a nice reverb with dimensions like these? What should I cover the walls with? Ceramic tile? Hardwood? Etc? I may also want to put a window in one of the walls if I put the "control room" outside the main room. What kind of ugly reflections would I get from this? How would I solve it? I'm thinking about angling the walls of the room a little like this:

/----\
\____/

I might get more complex reflections that way. Any input will the welcomed, I've searched the internet, and no one seems to care about accoustics on the home recording spectrum much at all. Thanx.

I'm not really sure how economical or difficult this is, but I recently read of a studio that had a main recording room that could be made to sound "live" or "dead."

They had these wall-like things around the room, one side was live, and if you wanted a dead room, you turned them all around and the room became dead. I'm picturing 8' x 4' type of sheets. I forget where I read it.

It was in Home recording magazine. 311 recorded thier new album in a studio attic that used to be Hendrixs'. The panels werw like 4x5 and were hardwood on one side and foam on the other. They cover about 80% of the walls.
I also read this in a Hendrix book that talked extensively about the hedrix sound (including the studio.)

Thanks for the info... One question remains, however. Do you think the space is big enough to get a nice reverb?? I don't want a really gross echo.

Check out OwensCorning.com Think this may be spelled incorrectly, but they do make accoustical panels.

Back