Base wood, what?

chrisghost

I'm doing a little project.

Some one gave me a cheap Dean Metalman Demonator bass. I don't play metal, the pick-up sounds lifeless, but... it does handle nice.

Also I have loaded pickguard off a vintage Teisco bass that I want to put to use.

So I'm Frankensteining the two together for recreation.

Now...

The Dean site says the body is Basewood (more expensive version of this bass is neck through Mahogani, but not the one I've got).

My knowledge of wood is not extensive. I've stripped off the black paint (and reshaped the body a bit) and find it's a rather soft wood, covered with 1 or 2 mm layer of some hard wood or maybe even a plastic coating.

Anyone know what I'm looking at here? And tips? My plan was to clearcoat the wood.

I just did something similar with a Yamaha bass. It's in the guitar section and you'll probably get better response if your question was asked there. No worries, I can move this thread for you.

Basswood is a soft wood. It is commonly used in cheaper guitars. It sounds okay, but for electric guitars, most of the tone is in the pickups.

The 1mm coating you're talking about might be an undercoat if your guitar had a metallic finish. You should post a picture so others can see what you're talking about. (When posting pictures, be sure to reduce file size to something manageable otherwise it takes forever for a page to load) Let me tell you, that undercoat was a bitch to remove. Look at my thread for discussions on it.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/guitars-basses/adding-veneer-my-old-bass-360197/

...and I'll be moving this thread to the Guitar section.
Good luck and have fun!!

I just did something similar with a Yamaha bass. It's in the guitar section and you'll probably get better response if your question was asked there. No worries, I can move this thread for you.

Basswood is a soft wood. It is commonly used in cheaper guitars. It sounds okay, but for electric guitars, most of the tone is in the pickups.

The 1mm coating you're talking about might be an undercoat if your guitar had a metallic finish. You should post a picture so others can see what you're talking about. (When posting pictures, be sure to reduce file size to something manageable otherwise it takes forever for a page to load) Let me tell you, that undercoat was a bitch to remove. Look at my thread for discussions on it.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/guitars-basses/adding-veneer-my-old-bass-360197/

...and I'll be moving this thread to the Guitar section.
Good luck and have fun!!

Not again please, this just isnt true. What is true is that they play a major role but to ignore everything else is just dumb.

see the latest posts on the tonewood thread.

Relax, I know this is a crap bass, I'm just having a bit of fun. I have a US Fender Jazz Bass and an Ibanez Roadstar II for the real stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's ussual for cheap guitars to have wood or plastic lamination.

And what do you recommend; taking it down to bare wood or leaving the lamination on?

Again, I'm just having a bit of fun, I don't expect it to become my go-to bass.

Relax, I know this is a crap bass, I'm just having a bit of fun. I have a US Fender Jazz Bass and an Ibanez Roadstar II for the real stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's ussual for cheap guitars to have wood or plastic lamination.

And what do you recommend; taking it down to bare wood or leaving the lamination on?

Again, I'm just having a bit of fun, I don't expect it to become my go-to bass.

Well if your plan as stated is to clearcoat the wood. You need to get it back to the wood....

Back