bandpass

kip4

will somebody please outline the process for bandpass EQing
the more detail the better
Im using cubase thanks

A bandpass is self-explanatory -- It allows a certain range to pass. The process is setting it up how you want it for that particular sound.

Select your desired low rolloff frequency, filter type and slope, select your desired high rolloff frequency, filter type and slope.

But bandpass filtering is more for things like speaker crossovers and that telephone/AM radio effect than for any normal eqing.

Select your desired low rolloff frequency, filter type and slope, select your desired high rolloff frequency, filter type and slope.

But bandpass filtering is more for things like speaker crossovers and that telephone/AM radio effect than for any normal eqing.

I use it in front of plate verbs. They used to have hardware devices just for this.

Well, boulder told you exactly how to do it already, but this is what it would look like in Cubase

Instant telephone EQ:
bandpass.jpg

edit: ....wtf - I'm really starting to hate attachments. In the code, it clearly has ATTACH=CONFIG etc in there, which works on other posts. JFC HR!
edit2: now it works... I just kept trying - whatever...

I got that thanks and i am aware of how to acheive bandpass in an eq.

you posted
Agreed. That's definitely going on, too. It's really all the normal tricks for making something sound old and somewhat low-quality. Over-compressed, bandpass EQ, slightly distorted

are you applying the effects in this order and please prey tell what distortion is best for this effect
thanks

ChuckDuffy are you using the bandpass filter followed by the plate reverb on just the vocals?

will somebody please outline the process for bandpass EQing
the more detail the better
Im using cubase thanks
...exactly how to do that... in Cubase... in as much detail as is even possible
If the exact answer to your exact question is something you already know, did you just want to see who would waste the most time answering it, anyway? I guess I won, huh? :wtf:

I suppose I'll waste the least time on the new question about the other thread (why didn't you ask there...in the thread that's already talking about it?)
Probably EQ,Comp,Dist if Comp didn't Dist, unless different order better.
Harmonic.

you posted
Agreed. That's definitely going on, too. It's really all the normal tricks for making something sound old and somewhat low-quality. Over-compressed, bandpass EQ, slightly distorted

are you applying the effects in this order and please prey tell what distortion is best for this effect
thanks

ChuckDuffy are you using the bandpass filter followed by the plate reverb on just the vocals?

Mostly on vocals.

Bobby Owsinski's Big Picture Production Blog: The Secret Of The Abbey Road Reverb

I don't go in much for 'recording secrets' but it works well for me. I don't like reverb on sibilants *at all*, and low end on plates gets muddy real fast. Another think I like is to use a sidechain and duck the verb while I'm actually singing, but let it rise up and fill in the empty space when I'm not.

I also use it on my guitar solo lines, but I'm going more for a duane eddy kind of sound...

Thanks for the help Chuck and Hippo.
I'm not trying to waste anyones time i promise.
I see from the screenshot there's no distortion applied in the sends or inserts.
Are we talking a guitar amps sim type of distortion or simply the distortion from say a plugin compressor like for example psp vintage warmer (which can get pretty nasty).
When ever i've used this type of bandpass before it was applied to a section of the song to give that lo fi Radio in the background sound.
I have never used it in the context of a vocal effect as described so forgive my ignorance.

thanks for replying too Chuck i will have to experiment a little further i think.
I really like the effect on the guys voice in the you tube clip.

thanks for the response guys Actually this post was in response to another.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/how-get-vocal-sound-341274/

How do i best achive this if its not a dumb question
Sounds like there is distortion on the vocal, and a high pass and low pass, so its more just the mids coming through. You can try boosting the mid range also to add distortion but this can be risky as you can end up with a harsh sound rather than a smooth distortion.
Oh yeah and also a delay on the vocal at the heavier parts. And for the break down sounds like a flanger on the vocals.

G

gotya thanks for that so thats how the distortion is achieved.
good call i'll try some of that. Thanks

Back