Band recording

doogy

Hi all I would like to record my band and wondered what sort of interface is needed to capture at least 8 simultaneous and discreet audio channels to a daw on a laptop or pc?Thanks in advance

Hey doogy. There are a number of options but if you give us a little more info on your project needs we can probably better advise you.

Mick

well its a small band guitar bass vocals drums,we would probably need to invest in a small mixer and record on a pc or laptop mainly live performances with perhaps minimuum ods and mix on pc but would really need discreet audio tracks

There are a range of interfaces around with the number of inputs you require. You might look at the Behringer UMC1820.

Or, you can consider a mixer with multi-channel output, such as the Alesis multimix

the Behringer obviously has the inputs i need but how could I record them seperatly on a pc?

Assuming you want to record the tracks simultaneously........your DAW should be able to route the inputs to separate tracks in your mix. You could delete or re-record or add any track after that.

Mick

The choice of interface really just needs to match your needs - so mics, or line inputs or the format your band has. 8 mics works fine for some bands, others have synths and other sources. The cheaper mixers tend to have just two digital channels not separate ones. The other thing is available budget? If your band fancy a new PA mixer, then maybe a second hand Behringher X32 as it can have up to 32 outputs - but of course it's quite a lot of money?

the Behringer obviously has the inputs i need but how could I record them seperatly on a pc?
The outputs are sent separately (but simultaneously) via USB. Witin your DAW you your create eight tracks, selecting a different input for each. Hit record, then all eight tracks get recorded at once.

I have a Zoom Livetrak L-12 that fits the bill. Can be used autonomously recording to SD, or with a PC.
Has 5 separate headphone outs as well.
What he says:

If you don't have a PA system, this or the Tascam Model 12 & 16 can double as both the digital multi track recorder and the PA mixer. Add some powered PA speakers and you're set to go.

I'm finding all this very confusing.I understand that something like the zoom would record say 12 seperate inputs as discreet tracks but how can you route 12 seperate signals into a pc or laptop (or even ipad)-what gear is required and is it available for semi pro setups?I know back in the day soundcards were available with loads of audio inputs

I'm finding all this very confusing.I understand that something like the zoom would record say 12 seperate inputs as discreet tracks but how can you route 12 seperate signals into a pc or laptop (or even ipad)-what gear is required and is it available for semi pro setups?I know back in the day soundcards were available with loads of audio inputs
Through USB from the Zomm to the PC and using a DAW like Reaper you'd have all you need (apart from all the mics and cables etc.).

Back