balanced or unbalanced

james123

Teenager from mars
hi guys,i wasnt shure were to post this so im posting it here.i have just orderd my first semi decent mic (Sennheiser E825s ) and pre-amp (Behringer MIC100) ive got a mic lead to attach the mic to the pre-amp.
so my question is whats the best type of lead i need to use to attach my pre-amp to my yamaha 4-track ,balanced or unbalanced?xlr or 1/4"?stereo or mono? would a guitar cable be alright? ,please note that the input on my 4-track is a 1/4" input
thanks

Is that 1/4" input on your recorder balanced or unbalanced? If it is balanced, you should use a balanced TRS 1/4" going into it. What is the output on your preamp? 1/4" or XLR or both. Most likely, it won't matter which output you use. I am not familiar with that preamp though.

You could potentially use a guitar cable, but that will be unbalaced.

thanks for the quick reply the output on the pre-amp is both 1/4" and xlr ,my yamaha mt2x has six 1/4" inputs witch of two are line/mic and the rest just line in .i do not know if they are balanced or unbalanced it doesnt say in the manual

OK, I'm pretty sure those 1/4" inputs are unbalanced. I would just run a guitar cable from the preamp to your recorder. It should be fine.

Back