B-E-A-D on a 4-string bass?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
I'm thinking about getting a bass. I mostly produce electronic/"intelligent dance" music and I want a deep, slightly growling, leviathan type of sound. I also want that low B note and I will literally never play anything in upper registers. Plus, I don't find 5-strings particularly comfortable to play. So, I was thinking of stringing a 4-string up with B-E-A-D strings. Of course, I'll need to have the nut cut and everything setup properly.

Has anyone done this? And what bass would you recommend for the sound I'm going for? Will stock pickups work, or do they need to be tailored for good low B response?

Thanks!

seriously though, it is the same scaling, you should be ok. just keep an eye on the neck so it doesnt start warping...

You could have problems with getting the thicker strings in the 0 fret, on my bass I have spaces just for EADG strings and I would have to file it to get BEAD there.

kubeek said:
You could have problems with getting the thicker strings in the 0 fret, on my bass I have spaces just for EADG strings and I would have to file it to get BEAD there.

Barefoot said:
I'll need to have the nut cut and everything setup properly.

. . .

barefoot said:
I'm thinking about getting a bass. I mostly produce electronic/"intelligent dance" music and I want a deep, slightly growling, leviathan type of sound. I also want that low B note and I will literally never play anything in upper registers. Plus, I don't find 5-strings particularly comfortable to play. So, I was thinking of stringing a 4-string up with B-E-A-D strings. Of course, I'll need to have the nut cut and everything setup properly.

Has anyone done this? And what bass would you recommend for the sound I'm going for? Will stock pickups work, or do they need to be tailored for good low B response?

Thanks!

You'll also need to look at the tuners to make sure the low one can handle the B string.

Thanks to those who made suggestions.

Sad how others show off their ignorance, unable to discover music or even imagine music that lies outside their myopic preconceptions.

Lighten up champ! Ya gotta admit that "intelligent Dance Music" sounds kinda pretentious!!! Id prolly dig it.... who knows. :)

Sorry, my blood caffeine level was getting low. I just very pretentiously made a cappuccino (with fine Italian espresso, of course) and I'm feeling much better now. :D

Yeah, the IDM moniker does sound a little pretentious. But considering how much "candy rave" dance shit is out there, maybe it's warranted?

We've considered doing this as well. The nut and the tuners are where we figured we'd have to modify, at least. It would be under more tension so a truss rod adjustment would be in order. The pickups should be ok I figure.

I've had BEAD on my fernandes jazz for a couple of years now.. works great!!... No neck probs yet.
Recently changed the pickups, nut and bridge, now it's a killer!!

Also I own a Schecter scorpion, which is BEAD by st0ck, two trussrods, EMG active pickups... my favorite at the moment.

i have been doing this for years and it gives no problems what so ever!

it's not because a string is thicker that i necessarily has more tension!

Jouni said:
I've had BEAD on my fernandes jazz for a couple of years now.. works great!!... No neck probs yet.
Recently changed the pickups, nut and bridge, now it's a killer!!
faderbug said:
i have been doing this for years and it gives no problems what so ever!

it's not because a string is thicker that i necessarily has more tension!
Yeah, the neck tension shouldn't be very different than normal. The point of having different string gauges is to maintain a relatively even tension across the neck. So I imagine the B-string is gauged to yield similar tension as the rest of the strings. Actually the truss rod might need to be loosened slightly in order to curve the neck more and allow for the larger vibration envelope of the B-string.

Either of you find any issue with buzzing frets on the B?

Tension shouldn't be a problem. If you're converting from a 45-65-80-100 set, the tension, depending on string type and scale length is in the 35 to 45 pound range for each string. The B will have a little less tension if you use a 130, but about the same with a 145.

http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf

I'd think you'd only have to cut a new nut to convert it (assuming the tuner will accept the larger string - if not, it's easy to drill it out), and the truss rod adjustment shouldn't change. Maybe raise the saddles a little if necessary for the increased excursion of the vibrating strings.

This is just mental noodling on my part - I haven't tried it. :)

I did this with a cheap Applause bass for years. Never had a problem, nor did any modification.

My wife finally bought me a 5 string Godin that plays very nicely, so I sold the cheapy.

Back