Aye yi yi AI!

AI and music...... love it, hate it, whatchta think?

• Total voters

TAE

All you have is now
Pretty awesome stuff..... So for a nominal fee you can now take all the great songs you love and load them up at Lalal.ai and get the stems for them to listen to, examine. learn about the mix and effects and enjoy...or make backing tracks which is becoming a HUGE thing for old farts and ancient rockers....

I am going to subscribe not only for the music from bands / songs I dig and want to cover but also for my old 1970's band recordings. It will be cool to have the tracks separated and be able to tweak and re-record more better in 2024...shit did I just say 2024? WTF? Tempus Fugits! Fahgetaboutit!

Expensive. I don't see any value here.
That's because you're not looking for backing tracks or stems. In that world this service is SUPER inexpensive and the demand is much larger than you or I would think. It is way beyond just Karaoke these days.

As long as the isolated parts don't have artefacts and the sound quality is good, then I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea. I don't think I personally have any use for it, outside of curiosity. But it's a wonderful learning tool and let's face it, you can nick Ginger Baker's or Ringo's or Tony Williams' or whoever else's drums {or whichever instrument from whichever artist} and manipulate them as the basis for your own song and if you're inventive enough, no one need ever be so aware that they sue you !!

Reactions: TAE
As long as the isolated parts don't have artefacts and the sound quality is good, then I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea. I don't think I personally have any use for it, outside of curiosity. But it's a wonderful learning tool and let's face it, you can nick Ginger Baker's or Ringo's or Tony Williams' or whoever else's drums {or whichever instrument from whichever artist} and manipulate them as the basis for your own song and if you're inventive enough, no one need ever be so aware that they sue you !!
I discovered that a lot of the pro bands used backing tracks at shows back in the late 70's when I noticed Wakeman playing his Hammond and hearing other synth parts at the same time. I had a chance to meet and talk with him after the show. When I asked him about it he sheepishly smiled "we use a few tricks now and then". I didn't realize how prolific this practice is but these days it is VERY common for clicks and ques and certain orchestral and vocal harmonies to be backing tracks live. I've not been a fan of IEM's but now I get it. In this group I joined on FB there's a guy who posted recordings of the IEM feed for U2 on Youtube and you get an idea of what they are doing here. It can be very simple or quite complex...Google IEM tracks and you will find many recordings of many famous bands. It's a lot of work to create these but pro shows are big money and this allows for them to be much more professional and mistake proof.. Ok so there's that kind of backing track and then there's the amateur's like most of us here. I was a bit taken back when I saw how many old farts like myself are out trying to make music. This Backing Tracks group on Facebook is about 3 months old and just surpassed 5000 members...WTF? A shit ton of folks some very pro level and some not so much but they are all trying to get their ya ya's out which isn't a bad thing. I went out in my room the other day and googled backing tracks for some songs that I do solo with just piano. I played em and sang along and sometimes played the keys sometimes I didn't I just sang...Hell of a lot easier to just sing than play the keys and sing...I know it's Karaoke at that point but it was fun and I was able to give the vocal a lot more attention and it definitely was more emotive. Then I flashed back to a month or so ago when I was showing my guitarist and drummer the song "How's going to be" from a youtube video with the audio running through the PA and me playing Keys along with it. The guitarist really dug what I added to the mix and was confused if it was actually me or the recording...it was me..."Man that part should be on this recording" LOL I'll have tell the 3rd eye blind boys.

Point is now with this AI separation capability I can jam with or add my parts to any famous bands music I want to ...Zep, Pink Floyd, Them Beatle characters etc.

For the last 6 or so years I've been working on the solo one shot live stereo recordings and they are fun and folks that get it, that it is really live and a one shot deal appreciate it as such. Reality is most don't and don't give a shit either way.
By taking the time to make backing tracks of my own stuff I am able to perform a much more refined and elaborate rendition of what I have written than if I stick with the one shot just me stuff.

2024 I'm moving into the backing track world and hopefully will get the IEM thing figured out with the ques n shit. I will mention it to Brent Payne ( the country band I play in) but I am pretty sure it will fall to deaf ears...BTW Looks like we are going to be playing at Downtown Disney's new LIVE stage in Anaheim monthly in 2024...Awesome small venue...looking forward to it

BTW here's a link to the FB backing track users page...over 20K members have joined world wide in a matter of 3 months.

Backing tracks ...there a thing whodathunk?

I've tried out the Software App and got a 95 minute pack to go with it - tried it on Doomsday by Lizzy McAlpine and the results were less than stellar -
Splitting the Vocals and Instrumental bits worked okay - but trying to breakout the Acoustic Guitar, Drums, Piano and Strings - was nonsense - the vocals
were okay - Acoustic Guitar was average (artifacts though) and the String parts were horrible artifact 'guesses' that sounded like a Vocal Remover App gone
haywire - I know they have some restrictions on refunds - but I asked anyway.

I've tried out the Software App and got a 95 minute pack to go with it - tried it on Doomsday by Lizzy McAlpine and the results were less than stellar -
Splitting the Vocals and Instrumental bits worked okay - but trying to breakout the Acoustic Guitar, Drums, Piano and Strings - was nonsense - the vocals
were okay - Acoustic Guitar was average (artifacts though) and the String parts were horrible artifact 'guesses' that sounded like a Vocal Remover App gone
haywire - I know they have some restrictions on refunds - but I asked anyway.
To good to be true eh? Dang...I suppose eventually they will get it but that sucks being a paying guinea pig.

On the Facebook page there are several sources for backing tracks and software to use to pull off a good show. I encourage joining if this stuff interest you. Shocked out how many old farts are out there doing this and many for over 10 years...20+ thousand members have joined on the FB page in 3 months

My band supported Quo years back and they were playing to a click. The venue I run has bands through it all the time and tracks are just doing their thing - sometimes it's for stuff they just cannot do themselves - so the extra keys, strings, brass that are in the well known releases that 4 or 5 people just can't do - but I've not discovered any who mime to the tracks, as in the guitar solos and stuff. BVs, extra keys and filler sounds are OK in my book. The most bizarre one though was a Michael Jackson tribute, licenced with the estate where the audience heard the original Michael Jackson bass part AND voice, while the guy 'singing' did the oos and the aaahs and speaking, but the audience heard the real MJ voice. Even wierder - the band's bass player really was good, and it was him the band heard in their IEMs - the audience got MJ's original bass. Some kind of licencing deal - these were legal things - vocals and bass had to be off track. Something about brand quality maintenance? Never had that before. It does mean that when the macbook and qlab fail, you cancel the show 3 songs in - but that is another story.

Cymatic uTrack - I'm amazed more people don't use these - never let me down, and you connect them to phones and pads. set lists can be tweaked on the go by anyone and they just work brilliantly.

Attachments

• IMG_4163.JPG
    IMG_4163.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4164.JPG
    IMG_4164.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Cymatic uTrack - I'm amazed more people don't use these - never let me down, and you connect them to phones and pads. set lists can be tweaked on the go by anyone and they just work brilliantly.
For what that can do - it's very inexpensive - does it record well?

It's real benefit is the reliability - BUT - it based on a unique file format, so you convert between it's native format, and .wav. So feed it 24 tracks of analogue and it records solid as a rock, 24/7. We never had any issues - we had a small SSD plugged in via USB and the system just worked. Limitations were that in practice, how many control devices you were running - we had the drummer with an ipad and footswitch to start, I had a pad too so I could see what the drummer was doing, but when the keyboard player also tried to get in on it, it was too easy for the drummer to just be about to hit play, and the keys player would do a hamfisted prod, trying to shift the cursor down the list and the drummer would not spot the cursor had moved. Leaving starting and stopping totally in the drummers hand with me just looking for security was brilliant. To make it work, you install an app on the computer - we'd do the tracks in cubase and export them, then load these into the app and save them to the SSD, this would plug into the rack unit and that was it. The rack unit just looks for the playlist in a pre-prepared state, loads it and plays it.

We had a big problem - we always played live, but the keys player became ill and he lost the use gradually of his fingers - so loads of horrible mistakes where he's play a chord but hit extra notes. So what we did was take the tracks we recorded from the desk - a Midas M32 and they all went to cubase direct on a macbook - so we had all of his parts. He used an ancient Korg and with foot pedals has maybe three different sounds on the keyboard which he'd toggle through during the songs. So it was a simple matter to pull them out, slap them on the cymatic and then our FOH guy had say, piano, organ and sax sounds coming in, in stereo on 6 tracks - we had a click and an effects track too. That's all we used it for. A few songs he tried to play, and we left it up to FOH to let the audience hear what was best. Some shows, his hands were much better and we used them, but as soon as he started to hit bum notes, we'd switch seamlessly to the track. Very sad really. We decided, with his wife, that we'd not tell him that some shows the audience didn't hear a note he played. I think he probably guessed but we didn't ever say. It got worse very quickly and the outcome wasn't long coming. I think we used the system for just 9 months before he passed away. It did mean though that we were still playing almost up to the end. We decided that we didn't want to carry on - so the band retired.

The worst thing about the Cymetrix was that it only had multipin ins and outs so you had to use spider fanouts. They used the Tascam connectors and same wiring - but they're really expensive. I guess I should sell it, but I never have. For panto or other stuff, it's normal to have two macbooks, two drives and a USB switch box to hotswap if something happens, but we just didn't want to rely on a computer - we wanted something in a rack that would just power up, and work, and not rely on the net and updates and licensing.

In that 9 month brief period it never ever let us down. Our drummer now plays for a different band and they use exactly the same system.

Oh Damn these are cool....

If you have an analogue desk, they're an excellent way to get line level audio in and out. They're also built amazingly well. I've never used mine as an interface, but they're almost a secret product.

I’ve used Lalals (which I believe is different) to input my vocals through my songs and output some famous people. It’s scary how accurate it is. Obviously I’m doing it for fun and personal use.

I love it, though. If I want to know how a song I wrote would sound like if McCartney sang it? I can hear it.

Back