Avalon AD2022 manual or info?

Wireneck

I have a Avalon Ad2022 mic pre-amp on loan for the next two or three days but my buddy doesn't have the manual. He said I could DL it online but I am not turning up anything except spec sheets. He is at work right now so I am looking for some answers so I can start messing around.
My main question is regarding the Source 1 and Source 2 knobs. It has input listings for Di, 50, 150, 600 and Mic for both channels. This is also accompanied by an input gain knob. DI and Mic are pretty obvious but what is the 50, 150 and 600 settings all about?
Any info is appreciated.

That's variable impedence in ohms. Some older high impedence mics, especially dynamics, will prefer the lower ohm settings, You will also occasionally find you just like the sound better on some mics at 600 ohms, especially some ribbons. For 95% of all stuff, and virtually all modern condensers, just use the mic setting. You'll soon find out that the AD2022 is what it is. It has damn few bells and whistles, just a high pass filter, and a ton of clean gain. No EQ, no compressor, no digital out, no 1/4" outs. Just XLR, balanced and unbalanced. The only thing I wish it had is inserts, which would make it easier to use with my RNC compressor. It took me a while to find cables to patch the unbalanced XLR outs to the unbalanced 1/4" inputs on the RNC. It will take you no time at all to learn how to use it, because it isn't a toneshaping tool with a ton of switches and dials. Just clean gain with a little "metal" from the big mucking transformer.
Be advised, though- it's a transformer based Class A solid state preamp, so it draws more juice than you expect from a solid state pre. If you are close to the amperage limits of the circuit it's on, especially if a computer is on the same circuit, it can actually trip a circuit breaker. It is not a good pre- it's a *great* pre (and a wicked good bass DI)- but that's *all it is*, and *all it does*. Go play.-Richie

P.S.-I just came across a thread where Harvey Gerst reprinted a quote from one of the Honchos at Great River. He explains the practical effect of variable impedence on different types of mics. It should be useful to you.:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=279610

Last edited:
Richard thanks for the info. We are working on some bass tracks first thing tomorrow morning so it looks like we will be able to give it a go in that position. Have you ever ran both the unbalanced and balanced outputs at the same time or is this a bad idea? Ideally I would like to record the direct signal from the avalon on the balanced out and then feed an aguilar head off the unbalanced side. Not sure if this is an option?

Well. Wireneck, I'm no enjooneer, but I have run all 4 outs simultaneously with no problems. Sometimes I send the unbalanced outs to the RNC and the balanced outs straight to the DAW for a dry track, and it hasn't choked yet. And don't even look for the power switch. There isn't one.-Richie

Back