Audio outs in Sonar

Chipster

I just re-formatted my machine and installed, cakewalk9 and Sonar5. When I open a project and select track properties there's no audio outs in my source or output views. I've gone in to the options/audio menu and selceted not only my Presonus Inspire, but my internal sound card as well, but still no dice. Seems like I ran in to this before, but can't remember what I had to do to fix it.

I just had a similar problem in Sonar 2.2 on Window 2K. All of a sudden I had no inputs or outputs available. Messed with settings but that didn't fix it.

I ended up reinstalling the drivers for my sound\recording cards and everything is back to normal.

Newbie-Doo said:
I just had a similar problem in Sonar 2.2 on Window 2K. All of a sudden I had no inputs or outputs available. Messed with settings but that didn't fix it.

I ended up reinstalling the drivers for my sound\recording cards and everything is back to normal.

That is the way to the light.

yea...and then, if they still don't appear, delete the aud.ini file...this will force the application to reload the driver references.

Do a search for "aud.ini"...it should be located in "cakewalk" sub-directory and delete it...not to worry...this would be one of Cakewalk's first recommendations.

Well, I got cakewalk and sonar both to start recognizing the sound cards, but now if I try any thing other than 16/44.1 in cakewalk it doesn't record, and if I try setting the driver depth to 24/96 in sonar I get an error message stating that one or more of my sound cards does not support the current resolution, and it is being set back to 16/44.1. I've unselected my internal sound chip even though it does support 24/96 but still no dice. I'm using a Presonus Inspire 1394 and I know it supports 24/96. Any idea why I'm not able to set it to this resolution?

Try disabling the on-board sound card in Windows Device Manager, reboot, then launch sonar and rerun the WAVE Profiler. Maybe it will kick out the on-board and let you set the res higher. You can also try using ASIO or WDM/KS driver (This is under the advanced tab in Sonar 2.2) and see how that works.

What other cakewalk product are you using besides Sonar?

Newbie-Doo said:
Try disabling the on-board sound card in Windows Device Manager, reboot, then launch sonar and rerun the WAVE Profiler. Maybe it will kick out the on-board and let you set the res higher. You can also try using ASIO or WDM/KS driver (This is under the advanced tab in Sonar 2.2) and see how that works.

What other cakewalk product are you using besides Sonar?

Shuuu, Thanks Newbie-Doo, I finally got it by using the asio driver, but even then the docs aren't very clear. I first selected asio and 24/96 in the same session, and still met with the same results. It wasn't till I selected asio and click ok, exited sonar and then went back in was I able to select 24/96. Thanks again.

Chipster said:
Shuuu, Thanks Newbie-Doo, I finally got it by using the asio driver, but even then the docs aren't very clear. I first selected asio and 24/96 in the same session, and still met with the same results. It wasn't till I selected asio and click ok, exited sonar and then went back in was I able to select 24/96. Thanks again.

Cool, glad I was able to give you some useful advice. :D

Happy tracking!

Back