Audio Interfaces - I/O

Rabid Pickle

Hey all. I've only ever used an MBOX with Pro Tools. I am very excited to get Pro Tools 9 and get rid of my garbage MBOX. But since thats all I've ever used I'm a little confused about hooking up audio interfaces to my computer.

I'm looking to get at least an 8 mic pre interface. If I get one with USB/Firewire out, can I just hook that into my computer and I'm good to go? I can get all 8 inputs onto different tracks? I'm confused about how many channels USB/Firewire can transfer. If not, and I need to use the interface's 1/4" outputs...how do I get that into my computer?

Help please! :confused:

Check the product documentation. A device that has 8 inputs may not necessarily 8 convertors, which means you couldn't record all 8 inputs simultaneously. I think USB or Firewire could handle the traffic if you did have 8 convertors though.

Go to the website of the manufacturer to see if it sends all 8 tracks at once. My ALesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 does send 16 separate tracks. Whe you go to pick the input your DAW will show you all 8 inputs and you can pick one for each track.

...and check it's actually got 8 pre amps for your mics, if that's what you need.

On an 8-in-8-out "8/8" interface, it may count a couple of the channels as the spdif etc.

Back