Audio cables or speaker cables

Me myself & him

My brother gave me two JBLs, they have 1/4 inch inputs on the back.

He also gave me some 16 gauge speaker cable with 1/4 inch jacks which he put on one end of each cable. The other end was bare wire which was twisted around the connections on the back of his amp, the end with the jack was plugged into the speaker.

My problem is that I have an old Biamp with two 1/4 inch outs on the back for the speakers. At first I thought I could put 1/4 inch jacks on the other end of the speaker cables, but then I bought ten regular instrument cables and I'm thinking I could just save myself the trouble and use those instead.

Am I thinking dangerously wrong?
Am I just confusing everyone?

Help:o

do NOT use the instrument cables.

DO solder a 1/4' jack on your speaker cable and use it. The plugs FROM your instrument cable will work... its the cable you want to avoid.

If you wonder WHY.. do a search.. it's been beaten to death.

xoxo

Yo Pronoun Person:

Check out the Canare cables. High quality and reasonably priced. They are alleged to beat Monster big buck cables and others in the high price sound spread.

Caught some literature and comments about them while racing around the net.

I never did lean toward making my own cables. Would rather get a proven premade cable.

Green Hornet:D :cool:

The Green Hornet said:

I never did lean toward making my own cables. Would rather get a proven premade cable.

Certainly a reasonable option if you only need a few cables. Not such a good option if you need a few hundred, unless you also like throwing your money into the ocean.

You don't need fancy cables for speaker cable. You can even use zipper wire (power cords for lamps). Use the biggest gauge you can fit into your ends and you are all set.

I think I'll go with the majority on this one, ... besides, I'm trying to learn how to do some of this stuff myself anyway.

Yo Little Woofer:]

Well, when I was in the Navy and my "cable" lead to my electronic stomach Steinway popped, I got it soldered by a CPO of the electronic nature and was sure glad he was there to do the job.

But, I'm kind of lazy; I don't have a place for solder to be dripping on my plush chewed-up carpeting and I don't have a pump to pump out the oxygen in bulk cables -- heh heh -- so, I prefer to buy them. I don't need that many, like 100? -- not too many folks do need 100 cables. I'm a small time operation without anesthesia.

So, whatever makes one happy is the right thing to do. Nice that the site works so much faster now isn't Little Dog.

Green Hornet [not from a homemade server methinks!]

:D :D

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Little Woofer:]

Well, when I was in the Navy and my "cable" lead to my electronic stomach Steinway popped, I got it soldered by a CPO of the electronic nature and was sure glad he was there to do the job.

I am embarassed to admit I don't know what the hell you are talking about! (I spent eight years in Ann Arbor, so i don't think it's an inability to understand "midwest"...) :(

By the way, audio soldering is mostly done with very thin solder and low wattage irons. You can pretty much do it anywhere with no muss or fuss.

Yo Little Dog/Camn:

I have to admit that I take medication around 5 PM -- a large Martini.

Stomach Steinway = an accordian

Electronic accordian = a mic pick-up to an amplifier

CPO Chief Petty Officer of Electronics

Navy = USA

I'm not against making one's own cables -- whatever is fun is fun. I'm just lazy and like the glitz of advertising. But, some of the cables I bought are pretty good. I have to admit I have around 25 plus cables hanging in my studio. The more the merrier.

Merry Christmas to all and to all good cableing.

Green Hornet :D :D :cool:

The Green Hornet said:

I prefer to buy them. I don't need that many, like 100? -- not too many folks do need 100 cables. I'm a small time operation without anesthesia.

:D :D

The "stomach steinway" actually came to me right after i hit send on my response. See, I'm not as dumb as I look!

Anyway, 100 cables is pretty trivial even in the most basic studio, if you are using even a 16 track recording setup and doing actual bands that have drums and stuff.

For example, in the most basic 16 track setup (no outboard mic pres or other gear, no patch bays) you would still need:

16 mic or instrument cables
16 cables from direct out jacks on mixer to recorder
16 cables from recorder output to tape returns on mixer

that's 48 already. most people also have CD players, cassette decks, DAT machines, an outboard fx box or two, monitors, a couple of compressors, a couple of outboard preamps, etc. Throw in a patchbay (which doubles the amount of cables) and you can get to 100 pretty fast.

Usually there are two types of folks who buy cables - the audiophiles who want "the best" and buy Monster mic cables at $100 a pop (or even more expensive stuff), or those who get the cheapest stuff they can find. Either one of those folks would be better off making their own instead of buying 12-16 mic cables. The first guy will save about $1000, and the second guy will have MUCH better sound.

TexRoadkill said:
You don't need fancy cables for speaker cable. You can even use zipper wire (power cords for lamps). Use the biggest gauge you can fit into your ends and you are all set.
I use big huge heavy duty orange extension cord that you can buy for about .33 cents a foot. Conducts VERY well, and I've never even seen "retail" cable like this...(but I'm off topic here).

littledog said:
Usually there are two types of folks who buy cables - the audiophiles who want "the best" and buy Monster mic cables at $100 a pop (or even more expensive stuff), or those who get the cheapest stuff they can find. Either one of those folks would be better off making their own instead of buying 12-16 mic cables. The first guy will save about $1000, and the second guy will have MUCH better sound.

I used to spend $15.00 to $30.00, does that make me the second guy?:o

Camn, I remember going to your site a few months back, but I forgot what XOXO is.

Yo Little Dog:

The only thing you left out was a Partridge in a Cable Tree....:p

I don't do big band stuff; I do vocalists and my stuff and only need two martinis in the afternoon because of that.

Merry Christmas Little Dog and all the others....

Green Hornet:D :D

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Little Dog:

The only thing you left out was a Partridge in a Cable Tree....:p

I don't do big band stuff; I do vocalists and my stuff and only need two martinis in the afternoon because of that.

Merry Christmas Little Dog and all the others....

Green Hornet:D :D

Horneto:

Now you've got me real curious...You just record a capella vocals? No drums? No bass? No guitar?

Is there a big market for that stuff in Grand Rapids?

it means 'hugs and kisses'.
I always sign that way to let everyone know that no matter how hard I might diss... or how much we may disagree.. ..

I still love you.

xoxo

oh.. and you dont need to pump Oxygen!! hes yanking yr chain!

Back