At2035 vocal chain (rap)

I think everybody's vocal chain here will be pretty similar. There aren't too many people using much outboard gear on this site, I think at least. A new preamp could help, but I think what is more important is that you nail down your processing of the tracks in the box.

I've found the AT2035 to be a bit too sibilant and sometimes a bit boxy, making it slightly less 3D sounding than other mics. Your job is to try to tackle those issues inside the DAW. Here's some starting points: Do your regular high pass and high boosts to get the mud out and bring out the presence. Then work on carefully carving out some of the mids to get rid of the boxiness and to give the vocal a bit more depth. I can't tell you the exact frequencies to cut because it varies with each voice, but just play around cutting with a medium sized Q in the mids area until you think it's sounding right. Next you'll want a de-esser somewhere in the chain, either first in line or right after the EQ. I wouldn't use Logic's de-esser, it can get pretty lispy at times. But maybe search online for a good free AU plugin alternative.

The room is at least 2/3rd's of your 'sound'. Bad room = bad sound
There is a >reason< big studios spend megabucks on studio buildings.

BTW: more rappers use dynamic mic's like Shure SM-7's as a standard...

Back