AT2020 X SM57 on Acoustic Guitar.

CMolena

Hey guys, I have these mics at home and I decided to make a video comparing the two. IDK what you guys think, but to me, even though the AT2020 sound fuller, the SM57 has a really distinctive sound. I prefer it way more rather than the AT2020...

Wonder what you guys think. I made this video basically for myself...you know whenever I want to hear the difference I can listen to this video. Hope it could be of some use for some of you guys. Any opinions about this comparison?

An LDC vs a dynamic really is an apples to oranges comparison.

Obviously, it's good to know which you prefer in general, but I'd recommend A/Bing some more similar mics to listen for those nuances.

An LDC vs a dynamic really is an apples to oranges comparison.

Obviously, it's good to know which you prefer in general, but I'd recommend A/Bing some more similar mics to listen for those nuances.
I agree, but there is something about comparing two different types of mics, especially when we are talking about two cheap ones like these. To me, for the price, the SM57 sounds way more consistent. I was in hopes that this type of comparison could point out this line of thinking, you know?

I’ve always preferred a 57 over condensers on my classical guitar. It just sounds great.
To me, its really hard to top the 57. I've never had a really expensive mic, only cheap ones like these. If I had to pick one mic for the rest of my life, maybe it would be a 57, lol.

Hey guys, I have these mics at home and I decided to make a video comparing the two. IDK what you guys think, but to me, even though the AT2020 sound fuller, the SM57 has a really distinctive sound. I prefer it way more rather than the AT2020...

Wonder what you guys think. I made this video basically for myself...you know whenever I want to hear the difference I can listen to this video. Hope it could be of some use for some of you guys. Any opinions about this comparison?

Well, obviously the SM57 doesn't have the high end/air of the AT. Just like with mic placements, the mic choice should be done based upon the finished product - solo guitar, with band, etc and how it all fits together. I know when I use an LDC (or 2) on an acoustic, that the resulting track will be what the guitar produced, no major tonal EQ bumps from the mic (like with an SM57).

As was mentioned, there probably needs to be a difference in mic placement between those two to judge fairly.I'm a huge fan of 57s, even preferring them for (my) vocals most of the time before I got my 7b, but I never considered them too great for acoustic. And of course there are differences in acoustics, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Actually, changing positioning and blending the two might be best.

I think you're pickup up too much of the soundhole with the AT. You should try moving it farther down the neck. Or maybe just point it more in that direction.

Back