Arguments for Mac over PC

Polaris20 said:
Actually, I said:
I was comparing XP and Tiger, not Longhorn, in respect to level of advancement. If you're referring to me not seeing Tiger yet and already claiming it's more advanced than XP? Well, I think Panther's more advanced than XP, personally.
Sorry for the confusion, but still, what, in your opinion, makes it more advanced?

As far as features, Tiger has 200 new features (I know, many little misc. "neato" features). Longhorn has 3 new features.
Longhorn has 3 architecturally huge advancements. Tiger has nothing approaching the complexity of any of these 3. And to clarify, I think calling them features is misleading. Features will be whatever the things are that exploit these technologies.

Now, like you said, these are major features. But when these features will be available in XP, I still don't get the point of buying Longhorn.
Given that these things are matters of architecture, I'd imagine what would actually entice you (or anyone) into using Longhorn would be the features that make use of these underpinnings.

I also don't get why Windows gets less efficient with each release, OSX gets more efficient with each release.
This may have a lot to do with OS X being nearly unusable on current hardware when it was initially released. At some point, performance gains will become far more difficult to come by, if not impossible.

Cakewalk, Acid, Vegas, video games, build it myself and as stable as anything, which ones better for me?
No you don't have to answer.

ds21 said:
Cakewalk, Acid, Vegas, video games, build it myself and as stable as anything, which ones better for me?
No you don't have to answer.

alot of people love pc's for the video games. I personally prefer to use my ps2 for games rather than a computer.

vigormusic said:
alot of people love pc's for the video games. I personally prefer to use my ps2 for games rather than a computer.

Yeah, my firends have them, but my favorite type of game is FPS and can't stand the lack of control on consoles, I love using trackballs.

ds21 said:
Yeah, my firends have them, but my favorite type of game is FPS and can't stand the lack of control on consoles, I love using trackballs.

true, FPS's give me headaches, I like the 3rdPS's

bdemenil said:
xbox - halo

funny you should mention that, I tried Halo on a friends Xbox, liked the game but was slowed down by the controler, So I bought it for my PC and just finished it the other day. My other fav is driving games, NFS, resolution and frame rate so much better on PC, and my 21" monitor is big enough for me, till I can get a tripple monitor setup!!!

In my experience, PC is faster than Mac at gaming. Kinda funny Bungie Studios (Halo) used to develop Mac-only games before they were bought out by Microsoft.

I don't anyone has ever bought a Mac so that they can play games, despite their position on the platforms for other uses.

RhythmRmixd said:
Don't know. Never used the x86 version.
It was pretty much a loaded question. Mac ports of games almost always run significantly slower than their x86 counterparts. Is OpenGL even working right in OS X?

I'm a Mac user, and have been for a long time. I'd have preferred that computers had never been introduced to the recording studio, though. I'm aware of the so-called 'democratization' of recording (as it's been called...probably by an over-educated writer somewhere) but I do sincerely miss the ritual of unwrapping a new reel of 456.

elevate said:
Longhorn has 3 architecturally huge advancements. Tiger has nothing approaching the complexity of any of these 3.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Apple integrated some of the same architecturally huge advancements with the initial release of OS X? I mean, I trust the tcp/ip and communications protocol side of things more coming from BSD-4.4-lite but that's just me. Aqua and Quartz, as well as Coco (with MS doesn't have anything like) are indeed what you say Longhorn will be. "A new display manager" etc. I saw the developer conference videos of the 3d windows etc - looked pretty lame to me, but Apple has plenty of those graphical effect thingies as you said.

Just because it isn't "new" in Tiger doesn't mean it isn't there underneath. Plus, Tiger is a 64bit system...which obviously Longhorn will be as well (and even XP64) - but it still seems Apple is beating them to the punch.

Look at the new 'Spotlight' feature - a fully indexing fast database driven search tool (I haven't used it yet so I am going on hype...but the technology is there)- something that even Microsoft people are moving to Google for until MS delivers on it. In one sense that is one of the biggest 'features' WinFS will have to offer when they finally get it implemented.

Tiger doesn't have much to do with the underlying system, you are right. So comparing them doesn't mean that much. But comparing the total package does. I look at Tiger as some very nice refinements and features on top of something that was already great. Maybe it's best if we compare Tiger to Longhorn SP 4 ;)

wes480 said:
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Apple integrated some of the same architecturally huge advancements with the initial release of OS X?
Sort of, given that OS X had absolutely nothing to due with OS 9, but that's not what we were talking about.

Aqua and Quartz, as well as Coco (with MS doesn't have anything like) are indeed what you say Longhorn will be.
Aqua is just a GUI framework. Quartz is a display layer, on par with GDI+. Cocoa is just a development environment using Objective-C. Microsoft has Visual Studio .NET which can use C, C++, C#, VB, J#, Java, COBOL, Objective-C, Perl, Fortran, etc..., with the choice of using managed or unmanaged code with C++, C#, VB, and J#. There's plenty of things you can criticize Microsoft for. Development tools is not one of them.

Just because it isn't "new" in Tiger doesn't mean it isn't there underneath. Plus, Tiger is a 64bit system...which obviously Longhorn will be as well (and even XP64) - but it still seems Apple is beating them to the punch.
The GUI and kernel will still be 32-bit.

Look at the new 'Spotlight' feature - a fully indexing fast database driven search tool (I haven't used it yet so I am going on hype...but the technology is there)
Windows has been able to index and search metadata since Windows 2000. Granted, Apple's implementation is slicker, but this is not new.

Back