Arguments for Mac over PC

Well my Powerbook (which I'm typing this post with) has a Ultra ATA/100 5400rpm drive standard. I haven't run into any problems recording yet. And if I ever do, I could always get an external USB 2.0 drive.

noodles2k5 said:
And if I ever do, I could always get an external USB 2.0 drive.
That wouldn't be a particularly good idea. USB has a much higher CPU overhead than Firewire.

in the pro realm macs are just used more in recording audio, editing video, and desktop publishing.

thare is probably a reason

ultra ata 5400 is decent for laptops, but horrible by desktop standards. Also, the mini laptop drives perform less well for the same rpm than desktop due to less cache and other size, power, and heat reducing measures.

again, if you're not using high resolution audio, then chances are you can get away with the slower drive speed. Higher res audio also means plugins will tax cpu more - another bottleneck for laptops.

I haven't had very good experiences with USB hard drives - USB is not a good protocol for high bandwidth data transfer. As elevate stated above, firewire is much better.

giraffe said:
in the pro realm macs are just used more in recording audio, editing video, and desktop publishing.

And in the server market - where cost, performance, and reliability are much more important than image - nobody uses Mac.

giraffe said:

There used to be a reason. Just like there used to be a reason more people used Amigas for audio and video work.

elevate said:
There used to be a reason. Just like there used to be a reason more people used Amigas for audio and video work.

And it was about that long ago. The last time Mac had any advantage - hardware or OS - was in the early 90s - before win95. If anything, Mac has caught up recently - who knows, maybe OSX really is better for audio/video.

Craigory said:
Thank you.... douche.....
You're welcome. Any time you feel like posting some stupid anecdote that you feel somehow represents an entire platform, but actually just makes you look stupid, let me know, and I'll be sure to point it out for what it is.

elevate said:
You're welcome. And yes, I realize that my remarks can seem quite douchey, but I really have nothing better to do than belittle the opinions of people who are merely trying to help. It is just one of the many ways I remind myself that I am better than everyone else.

I fixed that one for you.......

If you feel like me pointing out potential falsehoods in your posts is belittling you or somehow makes me feel better about myself, then it would seem you have some kinda small penis syndrome. Also, if you think posting stupid anecdotal stories that actually have nothing to with the discussion at hand, and in fact make it look like you have no clue what you're talking about, is somehow being helpful, then you need to think again.

How does it not have relavance. I said I had problems with Windows and that I prefered Macs. I also said why I like Mac and some of their advantages. You basically called me inept. I am sorry my printer driver story doesn't catch your fancy, it happened to be one of the my most frustrating instances. You want to disparage, fine.

Small penis syndrome? Seriously?.............

Printer drivers have nothing at all to do with whether or not any OS is appropriate for DAW use. If you can't see that, then yes, I'm sorry, but you are inept.

This doesn't really have much to do with this thread, but it does have to do with mac's and pc's

does anyone know how to network a mac and a pc together for printing? I have the printer on my mac and the pc is in the other room, the two computers are networked together and i just can't get the printer to work from the other room

and about this thread

pc owners will generally say pc's are better and mac owners will like their macs better, almost always

Back