Votes: 33 75.0%
  • No, because I don't like X,Y or Z about PT8

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • No, because I don't want to spend the money on a new version/OS

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, because I'm not interested in the new features

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
please don't insult my computer knoweldge unless you too have a CCNA and a MSCE after your name.

there were many many faults in previous version. as well is there are some physical memory addressing issues in pro tools 8. multi-threading/multi-core support finally seems correct though.

looks like pt 8 is based on .net/mono framework, anyone agree?

please don't insult my computer knoweldge unless you too have a CCNA and a MSCE after your name.

there were many many faults in previous version. as well is there are some physical memory addressing issues in pro tools 8. multi-threading/multi-core support finally seems correct though.

looks like pt 8 is based on .net/mono framework, anyone agree?

Naw I'm not insulting your computer knowledge. I don't even know you. Truly I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what a CCNA or a MSCE is and or how that fits into the music production world. That is what were discussing here yes? Likewise I don't know what a .net/mono framework is. I do know that I have made my living in the music/post production world for many years now and not just me but the company I work for has put trust in virtually every version of PT since 5.1 in some of the most stressful situations imaginable. The software has never failed to do what we've ask of it. I would equally look silly to my fellow engineers if I inferred that it is shocking that PT 8 is working.

I mean really. What cross platform music production software has been more successful/stable than PT over the last 15 years?

there are other great software packages especially for the home studio enthusiest and in the pro market.

the best feature of pro tools is pro tools HD/TDM

for us LE users pro tools 8 seems to offer the least amount handicaps packed with the most stability.

pro tools 6/7 had no support for multiple core amd...i mean are you kidding me, amd pushed hyper threading technology, yet they have no support.

there is no support for xp service pack 3, no support for 64 bit windows platform, no word of support for windows 7.

there is no support for xp service pack 3, no support for 64 bit windows platform, no word of support for windows 7.

Only one part of that statement is true. The rest is simply bollocks. Sorry.

Digidesign said:
Windows XP Service Pack 3
April 23, 2008 — Digidesign has officially qualified Windows XP Service Pack 3 with all products listed as qualified with Windows XP Service Pack 2, including systems with Avid video. There are currently no known compatibility differences between systems with XP SP2 or SP3. All compatibility information regarding Windows XP Service Pack 2 also applies to systems with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Digidesign said:
Pro Tools Compatibility with Upcoming Microsoft Windows 7
June 30, 2009 - Microsoft has announced that they will begin shipping the new Windows 7 32/64-bit operating system on October 22, 2009. Avid is working closely with Microsoft to deliver compatible, high-quality versions of Pro Tools®, including compatibility with the 64-bit version, as soon as possible. Please check back periodically for updates on Avid's Windows 7 support status.

However you are correct, that at current there is no support for any 64 bit operating systems. Expect this to change with the release of Snow Leopard and Windows 7. However until then, 64 bit OSs are NOT in the mainstream - neither professional nor consumer. Therefore it makes no sense what-so-ever to rush a release to cater for the small minority who are on 64 bit OSs.

Which other Professional Standard DAWs support 64 bit? As this is very off topic, it may be worth continuing in a new thread instead...

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's been on there over a year, since before Pro Tools 8.

Pro Tools 7.4 was even qualified for SP3.

In fact Pro Tools 8 was not officially tested on SP2, so was also qualified on SP3 from the get-go.

Anyway... back to the topic...

Pro Tools 8 rocks!

What are your thoughts on elastic time?
I am trying to allign 2 takes of hands claps, a wood block and a tamborine all to a snare drum

I read your other thread, I'm thinking of the best way to do it.

It will probably involve extract groove but I'm not an expert with that.

I'll reply in the other thread when I've come up with a good answer.

As for elastic audio, it rocks. No substitute for a decent musician but it can be a great tool when you just need to tighten a hit or note here or there. I tend not to use it on a track-length region, more on smaller regions.

I'm interested in look at a few of these tools.
No performance is ever perfect.
I'd love to be able to fix one or 2 notes here and there.

Pt8

I like PT8 Im still finding cool stuff on there, I upgraded and i was flipping on the colors but im used to it now....

Using PT8 here, and I prefer it. 48 tracks expandable to 128 with the music
production toolkit, as opposed to 32 tracks up to 48. 10 inserts as opposed to
5. 16 bit waveforms as opposed to 8 bit, which makes things like beat detective
work a lot more accurately. Elastic pitch (haven't found a need for it yet but I'd
say it could come in handy). It looks better :D New plugins (although, if you
revert back to an older version, you can keep the new plugs - although Digi told
me you can't... idiots) The new automation lanes can be handy.

Probably the best new feature though, is the playlists view. Even though they
kinda stole it from Logic, it fuckin rocks :cool: Comping = a million times easier.

I found PT8 quite problematic when I first got it (as did most people). Crashes
and little (big) problems all over the place. Beat detective no longer worked, and
only got fixed in a recent update - I think, I was using it yesterday and it worked
perfectly. Altogether, PT8 is running fine for the most part at the moment,
only being as buggy as any version of Pro Tools has been in a long time :rolleyes:

I'm up to date with Pro Tools 8, I really like the Air Plug-Ins, plus I know most of the things I use as short cuts so I dont have to look for where buttons or menus moved around.

Maybe I am fortunate to have joined the Pro Tools ranks after PT 8 came out. I had no experience with previous versions and nothing to unlearn or adjust to. I think the GUI is the best looking of any on the market. I run my system on an iMac with 4 gb of Ram and it works fine. I wish it had a few more Fx just for variety, but it does everything I need and more. I'm sure the next version will have more extras, but I'm loving LE 8 as it is.

A+ from me.

JGP

Have to agree

The comment I reacted to was Pro Tools 8 "actually works". As if earlier versions didn't. I can't remember a single release (CS or not) of Pro Tools that didn't work...NOT ONE. This coming from a guy that Tech Supported Digidesign for years. Time and time and time again the customers that bitched the loudest were the one's TOTALLY incapable of managing even the simplest of computer maintenance yet the mantra was always "Pro Tools sucks".

Always gonna be bugs with new releases and that is certainly not exclusive to Pro Tools. That said and addressing my point, what cross platform music production software on the market today has a more reliable track record over the last 15 years?

Have found this to be true for most computer glitches. I do know that sometimes you will get a truly terrible hardware or software problem due to crap equipment or crappy code. I have found that more often than not it's the complete absence of any attempt by users to learn how their system works, plus their refusal to spend any money on the basic items to keep a system going. Was an IT administrator for 15 odd years and left because people just did not care. Upside was that I made lots of money consulting because people don't read the documentation that comes with hardware / software. Can't be bothered with virus software / firewalls. Are stupid enough to get pirated copies of software etc. On a personal level I have never had problems with PTLE, been using it for about 8 years. The first incarnation I purchased used the Audiomedia III sound card (vs 4.7 I think) and I had a Pentium 3 (933Mhz - 256Mb RAM) with Windows Me as the operating system. It drove me nuts trying to install it as the dealer had given me drivers for Win98 and the soundcard / software drivers were operating system specific. Once I got that sorted out however I was as happy as a pig in shit..
Got version 8 just over a year ago and put it on a laptop. I wish I was retired as I don't get enough time to play with the software, having to work full time. Have barely scratched the surface but find it extremely easy to use. For an old fart like me it's heaven. I used to love analog multi track recording (Tascam Portastudio) but the ease of digital recording / editing etc is just out of this world.

Last edited:
I'm still using PT 6.9 if for no other reason than it does everything I need and it does it quite well. I'm not really into using 7 plug-ins on one track or using 57 tracks. I use 14 or 15 regularly, sometimes up to 22. There are never been a time when PT 6.9 was holding me back from recording what I wanted to record.

I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point, but I'm still happy with the program as it stands now.

Back