• No, because I don't like X,Y or Z about PT8

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • No, because I don't want to spend the money on a new version/OS

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, because I'm not interested in the new features

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

MessianicDreams

Just curious as to how many people are running PT 8 here, and how many have staid with whatever they were using. Also - why have you not upgraded? Personally, I'm still on 7.4 here. There's a few reasons why:

1) I bought PT 7.4 and the MP toolkit about 6-8 months before 8 came out, and I don't feel like not only forking out the money for ANOTHER version but I'd also have to upgrade my OSx to Leopard.
2) I've used 8 quite a bit, and there's a number of things that have bugged me. Firstly, the colour change still really throws me - I thought I'd adapt quite easily but it still puts me off a bit!
3) Why did they feel the need to move certain buttons about?? Until most facilities have moved to 8, I don't want to get into the habit of having button X here, but the second I go back to an old version I've got to remember its elsewhere :mad:

It's annoying cause some of the new features are really kick-ass! I mean, the playlist view option is SO cool and I found it really intuitive to integrate into my work-flow. There's also some pretty funky new plug-ins and instruments that I wouldn't mind having too....

Anyone else?

I'm using 8. I had to upgrade for school.

New colors threw me at first, having to click buttons a few inches away from where they used to be threw me at first, but after a week or whatever its been I think I've pretty much adapted.

I'm using 8. I had to upgrade for school.

New colors threw me at first, having to click buttons a few inches away from where they used to be threw me at first, but after a week or whatever its been I think I've pretty much adapted.

Out of curiousity, how do you find moving back to a 7.x system?

Also, have you tried using Elastic Pitch? is it any good?!

Messi once you get used to 8, it's really odd going back to 7.4 and I really miss 8. I think it's much nicer to work with. It just "feels" better as well as having the additional functions.

Elastic pitch isn't amazing but it's a cool production/creation tool. I would use it during the writing stage to see how a harmony would sound. The other thing you can do is change the key of a loop pretty quickly. I guess you could also use it to hear what your guitar riff would sound like a tone or two lower.

It is most definitely not a pitch correction tool unless: a) Your singer has just made one or two objectionable mistakes or b) They constantly sing a semi tone out. Unlikely.

Seeing as it acts upon an entire region it would not be feasible to use it to correct pitch across an entire song. You would need to split each note into its own region then tune it accordingly. Very fiddly and not at all its intended use.

I would say if you want to upgrade to 8 (of course once you have got Leopard) the most cost effective way to get the upgrade is to buy an Mbox 2 Micro. It's not much more than the upgrade itself and you get the new software :)

Thanks for chipping in Pez.

I was actually thinking about using Elastic Pitch for other things - I make my own sort of chorus-y thing for lead vocals by copy the vocal part twice and pitching one slightly up and one slightly down (like 10 cents or something). Just fattens the vocal up a bit without being as "showy" as chorus can be.

Also was mixing a track outside of my own studio the other day and found that the kick drum was just tuned too high - wanted to try pitching it down but Digi's PitchShift pluging didn't do it fast enough for me - admittedly I didn't try too hard at all.

For vocal correction, I use Melodyne now - switched from Antares about a year ago and never looked back!

Apparently you can buy 5 licenses for Leopard for like £120 which doesn't sound too bad to me - provided I can sell the other 4!

Hmm there might be a condition with those licenses however that they are all under one roof.

See if your "housemates" want to chip in for it ;)

Elastic Pitch would be perfect for what you are describing there. If elastic audio is already enabled on that track, all you have to do is open up the elastic properties dialogue (Alt + 5 I think) and then put in a value in semitones (+/- 12 I think...or is it 24?) or cents (+/- 99) and you're done. Remember this is done on a region by region basis, so to apply it to multiple regions just be sure to have them all selected ;)

The processing is done on the fly so you don't need to wait for anything to render or calculate. It really is an extension of elastic audio, just without the level of "tweakability". Hopefully one day we'll get that :)

Incidentally, you should go to Digidesign TV and check out the PT8 videos to whet your appetite. There's one there about Elastic Pitch too, just load up any video, and then in the player on the right hand side click "Pro Tools 8" under Channels. Then on the right select the elastic pitch vid, you'll have to scroll down.

Yes Melodyne is awesome. I was lucky enough to have a 1-1 demo of the new DNA version at Musik Messe in Frankfurt. It looks amazing. I will definitely be buying it asap! Though it's not quite out yet :(

PT LE 8 all the way

I prefer the look of the classic GUI better, but I am getting used to it. I hated the pan until I got an Alpha Track and now I am fine with it.

For some reason, it seems to use less resources than 7.3 did, which is great for my tired old ibook.

The virtual instruments are great.

Haven't had a chance to really buckle down with elastic audio yet. I need to find an Elastic Audio for Dummies tutorial.

bilco

The rotary pan was just hard to manipulate with a mouse when recording automation. The L/R slider was easier to work with a mouse, but with the Alpha Track that is a non-issue now.

bilco

IMO it was a non issue to start with.

Graphically it may be a rotary panner, but you can still pull the mouse from left to right like you did with the slider.

You can also pull it up or down. To me it's one of the most intuitive features of the new GUI.

hmmm...If that is the case Pez, I'd agree with it not being a big issue - although Logic's panner is like that I think and it did use to bother me. Probably just a case of remember you can still go side-to-side rather than around the circle..

For some reason, it seems to use less resources than 7.3 did, which is great for my tired old ibook.

Can anyone else confirm this? THis is VERY important to me - my Mac is always struggling when I get to the end of my mixes...

I'm a giant fan of 8.. The new Air plugins are great! The elastic Audio features are sooooo helpful.. You can do so much with them.. It's wonderful to be able to treat audio files like midi.. warp them.. make vocal stutters.. automate tempo changes with different algorhythms for different effects.. even if you didn't use it very often it's something that I'd rather have and not need than need and not have..

I think the new interface is great.. more pleasing to the eyes.. asthetically things are nice and smooth and streamlined.. I can look at it longer all in all. With the added tracks I have saved myself from having to spend extra dough on the production tool kit etc..

I think going to older platforms can be annoying when things are in different places.. but it's more or less customizable.. you can change things to be more relative to versions you are used to. Not that it isn't worth the trouble to just adapt.. The benefits far outweigh the negatives to me. And really how often would you need to go back to an older version? I guess some more than others.. I personally don't have to do that.. If someone I'm working with has a session on an older version I just pull it up in 8 once I get it.. pretty soon I think most people will be up to 8.. judging by the poll results thus far I think we are already close to that as it is.

Overall, I think that 8 is excellent.. I love the upgrades.. love the universe view.. love the elastic audio features.. love the new plugins.. LOVE the playlist and the workspace views.. If I went back to 7 now I would be constantly reaching for things that are in 8.. so it's more awkward for me the other way around.. I don't think it takes but maybe a couple of sessions to adapt to it fairly well.. after about 5 or 6 I felt compeltely comfortable.. LOVE IT!!

I'm a giant fan of 8.. The new Air plugins are great! The elastic Audio features are sooooo helpful.. You can do so much with them.. It's wonderful to be able to treat audio files like midi.. warp them.. make vocal stutters.. automate tempo changes with different algorhythms for different effects.. even if you didn't use it very often it's something that I'd rather have and not need than need and not have..

I think the new interface is great.. more pleasing to the eyes.. asthetically things are nice and smooth and streamlined.. I can look at it longer all in all. With the added tracks I have saved myself from having to spend extra dough on the production tool kit etc..

I think going to older platforms can be annoying when things are in different places.. but it's more or less customizable.. you can change things to be more relative to versions you are used to. Not that it isn't worth the trouble to just adapt.. The benefits far outweigh the negatives to me. And really how often would you need to go back to an older version? I guess some more than others.. I personally don't have to do that.. If someone I'm working with has a session on an older version I just pull it up in 8 once I get it.. pretty soon I think most people will be up to 8.. judging by the poll results thus far I think we are already close to that as it is.

Overall, I think that 8 is excellent.. I love the upgrades.. love the universe view.. love the elastic audio features.. love the new plugins.. LOVE the playlist and the workspace views.. If I went back to 7 now I would be constantly reaching for things that are in 8.. so it's more awkward for me the other way around.. I don't think it takes but maybe a couple of sessions to adapt to it fairly well.. after about 5 or 6 I felt compeltely comfortable.. LOVE IT!!

Great post! I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

MD are you listening?!?!

Really?? As if the last 25 versions didn't? The most stable software application in history.

If Pro Tools is unstable it is without doubt the user NOT the software.

Not sure I'd agree - often the first version or 2 of their software has a fair few bugs in it! I know quite a few pro studios who often wait for version x.1 or x.2 to come out before upgrading to ensure there are no stability issues!

Not sure I'd agree - often the first version or 2 of their software has a fair few bugs in it! I know quite a few pro studios who often wait for version x.1 or x.2 to come out before upgrading to ensure there are no stability issues!

The comment I reacted to was Pro Tools 8 "actually works". As if earlier versions didn't. I can't remember a single release (CS or not) of Pro Tools that didn't work...NOT ONE. This coming from a guy that Tech Supported Digidesign for years. Time and time and time again the customers that bitched the loudest were the one's TOTALLY incapable of managing even the simplest of computer maintenance yet the mantra was always "Pro Tools sucks".

Always gonna be bugs with new releases and that is certainly not exclusive to Pro Tools. That said and addressing my point, what cross platform music production software on the market today has a more reliable track record over the last 15 years?

No, I use an analog set up to mix and master my music. A friend of mine uses PT to put on to CD. I'm not sure of the version. I think it's 7.

Back