Are USB microphones (no AI) a no-go when looking to record great vocals (not speech)?

atibingler

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a home studio for recording guitar and singing. I've come across advice telling me to get an audio interface (AI) and a large/small diaphragm microphone. However after browsing through the web I saw there exists USB -mics that makes it unnecessary to connect to an audio interface. Are these any good when looking to record great, professional-sounding vocals and acoustic guitars? Moreover, what is the benefit of having an audio interface?

Sorry for the noob questions, have a good day!

Think about the cost man. Do you really thing that a built in A/D converter in a USB microphone is going to be as good as a professional mic and good interface?

Plus a USB mic will limit you to only one input channel and microphone. Best to record an acoustic guitar with two mics.

Get an AI and a learn what mics work best for you. :)

Think about the cost man. Do you really thing that a built in A/D converter in a USB microphone is going to be as good as a professional mic and good interface?

Plus a USB mic will limit you to only one input channel and microphone. Best to record an acoustic guitar with two mics.

Get an AI and a learn what mics work best for you. :)
Well.. no, I didn't really believe it.. Just wanted to ask from somebody who knows and be absolutely sure. :)

Can you guide me in trying to find what mic is best for me?

Moreover, what is the benefit of having an audio interface?

big +1 to Jimmy.
Your USB mic is an all-in-one microphone, preamp, converter, and audio interface for the price of a cheap mic.
It'd certainly do for basic V/O or youtube vids, and maybe for a bit of rapping/singing, but it's not a solid investment for a proper music recording setup.

The advantages of having a separate audio interface? Where to start.
Dedicated balanced main L+R outputs, dedicated headphone output with volume control, usually two (at least) decent microphone preamps with phantom power, inline attenuators and gain pots, other connectivity (line inputs, digital inputs, midi if you need it),
and the ability to choose what mic you use!
This could end up being a lot more important than you think.

Yeah it'll cost more, but if you're half way serious it'll be worth it.

edit:
I use shure sm81s most often for stereo guitar recording and an sm7b for vocals. A lot of people prefer an LDC for vocals.
Sometimes I'll use different mics, but the above is tried and tested and usually works for me.

There are hundreds of alternatives out there so do some reading and comparing.

big +1 to Jimmy.
Your USB mic is an all-in-one microphone, preamp, converter, and audio interface for the price of a cheap mic.
It'd certainly do for basic V/O or youtube vids, and maybe for a bit of rapping/singing, but it's not a solid investment for a proper music recording setup.

The advantages of having a separate audio interface? Where to start.
Dedicated balanced main L+R outputs, dedicated headphone output with volume control, usually two (at least) decent microphone preamps with phantom power, inline attenuators and gain pots, other connectivity (line inputs, digital inputs, midi if you need it),
and the ability to choose what mic you use!
This could end up being a lot more important than you think.

Yeah it'll cost more, but if you're half way serious it'll be worth it.

edit:
I use shure sm81s most often for stereo guitar recording and an sm7b for vocals. A lot of people prefer an LDC for vocals.
Sometimes I'll use different mics, but the above is tried and tested and usually works for me.

There are hundreds of alternatives out there so do some reading and comparing.

Thanks alot for your answer. Now I understand what the idea of having an audio interface is.

I'm going to be looking at options for the microphone. Can I come here and ask you guys more if any questions arise?

Sorry to bump in.. ^^ me too, I'm starting a home studio and i've got an audio interface (by "Lexicon" if I remember correctly) that I got quite a while ago (and never used) and recently, for my birthday, i got a USB mic (an Apex 440).. just wondering if the 2 will be compatible, like I can use the audio interface I've got - instead of the one built into the mic with sounds kind of cheap quality?

Sorry to bump in.. ^^ me too, I'm starting a home studio and i've got an audio interface (by "Lexicon" if I remember correctly) that I got quite a while ago (and never used) and recently, for my birthday, i got a USB mic (an Apex 440).. just wondering if the 2 will be compatible, like I can use the audio interface I've got - instead of the one built into the mic with sounds kind of cheap quality?

Nope. You cannot use both together. Well, not without using some type of work around like ASIO4All or on Mac 'aggregate device'. I don't believe there is any guarantee that will work anyway.

I've made listenable recordings with a single usb mic. By that I mean a mix good enough to enjoy the song. Not a "professional" mix. It's really all about how you use the mic. Proper eq and compression go a long way. As well as mic placement and where in the room you are recording. If you are just starting out and don't really know if you are even going to like mixing your own songs it's a good, cheap way to get started. That being said, a good interface and mic will be a better long term investment.

Back