Are real drummers "extinct?"

Drummers have only become obsolete to those that are content with just getting by.

This ^^.

On the Gear Page someone once asked about amplifiers and whether they would replaced by modeling technology. But then how far is the guitar (or other instrument) itself from replacement and errors in fingering and fretting and picking at that point? If you keep eliminating the human factor in playing, a live show at a club will be some computer geek getting up on stage, sitting in a chair holding his iPhone, and programming synchronized instrument parts playing through a sound system for the audience's enjoyment. Same with recording. This is subjective, but that doesn't sound like any show I would want to see or album I would like to listen to.

Last edited:
If you keep eliminating the human factor in playing, a live show at a club will be some computer geek getting up on stage, sitting in a chair holding his iPhone, and programming synchronized instrument parts playing through a sound system for the audience's enjoyment.

"will be" ?

*facepalm*

when real instruments become obsolete, I will stop playing music.

Why drums? Why not piano players? orchestra? bass? is EVERYTHING moving towards electronics?

no, because most of us think dubstep is completely overrated and a band of live musicians is always more impressive and exciting.

Do too many bands sound like robots now a days? yes. Is it going to last? God I hope not.

when real instruments become obsolete, I will stop playing music.

Why drums? Why not piano players? orchestra? bass? is EVERYTHING moving towards electronics?

no, because most of us think dubstep is completely overrated and a band of live musicians is always more impressive and exciting.

Do too many bands sound like robots now a days? yes. Is it going to last? God I hope not.

Dubstep is it's own thing. I get your point, but singling out dubstep as the enemy is kind of silly. It's not threatening anything. It's been around for decades. Doing dubstep well actually takes some creativity and ingenuity. It's not like rap or pop, which takes nothing.

When real instruments become obsolete, there won’t be any around to play.
Rap or pop are their own thing. I get your point, but singling out rap or pop as the enemy is kind of silly. They’re not threatening anything. They’ve been around for decades. Doing rap or pop well, actually takes some creativity and ingenuity. It's not like Country, which takes nothing.

When real instruments become obsolete, there won’t be any around to play.
Rap or pop are their own thing. I get your point, but singling out rap or pop as the enemy is kind of silly. They’re not threatening anything. They’ve been around for decades. Doing rap or pop well, actually takes some creativity and ingenuity. It's not like Country, which takes nothing.
no ..... good country takes a lot ........ plenty of guitar players can't do it well ..... especially leadwork.

I think any style of music takes something to do well.
The fact that you may not like a particular style of music says nothing about the skill level needed to do it well.
Rap, pop, jazz, country, rock ..... all just different facets of music and every single one of them takes skillz to do well.

Many country guitarists are some fine players. I don't like the music, but those chicken pickers are awesome, and they don't hide behind tons of gain.

no ..... Good country takes a lot ........ Plenty of guitar players can't do it well ..... Especially leadwork.

I think any style of music takes something to do well.
The fact that you may not like a particular style of music says nothing about the skill level needed to do it well.
Rap, pop, jazz, country, rock ..... All just different facets of music and every single one of them takes skillz to do well.

many country guitarists are some fine players. I don't like the music, but those chicken pickers are awesome, and they don't hide behind tons of gain.

lib.......

Back