Are popups part of the XP bundle?

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
This has been happening for quite some time now, and its really ^%$&ing annoying. I get these stupid popup boxes once every hour or so. Ones like "GOLARGER", or crap like this. I don't know where they are coming from, but I do know that I had installed a version of XP on another machine in the house, and before I had installed ANYTHING else, I was getting popups...

What gives? Are the bastards at Microsoft spamming me already?

Get rid of your cookies.
There's also pop-up defense software out there.
Are you using a firewall, virus scanner package.

Howyadoin,

Are you running Kazaa? If these are IE windows, it sounds like Gator or Savesomethingorother may be running... These come with Kazaa as a special added bonus :) I really doubt dick spam is something MS is including. Check Task Manager...

Are these IE boxes, or dialog boxes that say "Message from soandso" with an OK button?

If they are dialog boxes, then you need to right-click on "My Computer", select Manage, then go to Services and look for Messenger. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Stop the service and set the startup type to Disabled.

-Mark P.

Nope. Not part of XP. Micro$oft doesn't yet need to stoop to embedded advertising.

Do you use AOL? I get popup crap all the time when I'm on AOL. (Which, before you computer purists attack me, I only use when I'm on the road.) There is a setting in there that reduces the amount of stuff you get, but not all of it. You'd think I wasn't paying them enough already...

(Hmmm...maybe its time to get off my duff and replace AOL...)

Its not lewd stuff, though, so my guess is that some site you visited installed an ad worm. I hate those damn things. The only one I can remember is called "Gator." I'm sure there are others.

Good luck! As was suggested, check your task list and start killing stuff that isn't run by SYSTEM and you don't recognize. Kill them one at a time and see how it affects the system- write down the one that kills the popups. Then we cah hunt it down and....

EXTERMINATE IT!!!!!!

Happy hunting,
Chris

go to download.com and download the program "Ad-aware" or a similar application... this will, in a sense, excorcise the spam-demons from your pc... it hunts out all spyware/adware/trash and nukes it...

should do the trick. if that doesn't work download stopzilla or similar popup blocker.

trogdor

is it i pop up ad or a "windows messenger" window- gives an origin ip address- all text lookin- you can disable messenger ( not the same as the microsoft chat software) do a search for start up or windows services- i used to get these all the time- diable that shit an never happened again

start up cop is an excellent program for figuring out what is loading at boot and disabling the crap.

adaware is another great one for finding ad software that kazaa or gator or netsetter or marketscore.

To the original poster, I can assure you that you have created this problem for yourself. MS does not load any software like this with XP. The portion of code used for reporting I believe is ONLY active during major software updates or hardware installs.

Try this

right click 'my computer' - manage, expand the 'services and applications' drop box,

click on services, then right click on messenger & choose stop

then right click on messenger again, and choose preferences, on startup type, choose disabled.

(Hopefully this works on XP like it does on 2000)

MBP2112 said:
Howyadoin,

Are you running Kazaa? If these are IE windows, it sounds like Gator or Savesomethingorother may be running... These come with Kazaa as a special added bonus :) I really doubt dick spam is something MS is including. Check Task Manager...

Are these IE boxes, or dialog boxes that say "Message from soandso" with an OK button?

If they are dialog boxes, then you need to right-click on "My Computer", select Manage, then go to Services and look for Messenger. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Stop the service and set the startup type to Disabled.

-Mark P.

Heya, I'm doing fine thanks :cool: . They are dialog boxes yes, and I managed to Terminate as well as Disable it. I'm thinking this is the exact solution, given the nature of the other solutions and descriptions of the problems.

I don't run Kazaa, and I know all aboot Gator and all those bastard spyware proggys out there, thanks for the suggestions though in that regard. (I actually prefer WinMX :D).

No AOL either...thank god :D.

I am extremely hesitant to download and install any programs to make this kindof thing go away, I am of the opinion it clutters. But really, thank you anyways for those suggestions, if I really have to, I will go that route.

The funny thing is, I had just installed XP on another machine, with nothing else as of yet, when these popups started appearing right away. I was fairly annoyed, being that I had installed merely the OS, and I was getting popups already. Is the messenger thingy part of XP?...if so, then it does come with popups, or at least the means for popuppers to appear on your machine once connected to the net.

A final note, half of the popups (or actually dialog boxes, sorry), were for popup killers and such, saying to download now and prevent this from happening again! What a great way to kill business for yourself, in my mind. Just piss off probable clientele, it works great ;).

I never had any problems with pop ups until I uploaded my first mp3 on no where radio, ever since that day i get them all the time.

Heh, so I just hit reply, and another popup, one of those Damned "$ave Now!" Pieces of shit popups :D :rolleyes: ... Back to fixing. The viper site looks like some good info, I plan to check it out a bit later.

Thanks again.

badassmak said:
A final note, half of the popups (or actually dialog boxes, sorry), were for popup killers and such, saying to download now and prevent this from happening again! What a great way to kill business for yourself, in my mind. Just piss off probable clientele, it works great ;).

The program I mentioned is FREEWARE.

Very well-behaved SW IMHO.

MESSENGER is part of XP- it allows the communication between 2 or more computers using that machines ip address- has its uses i guess but not on a home computer! When you connect to the net your ip is put out there for the trolls- just like it can be and is logged on this site whenever you post or get on. I had your problem friend- and after a few nights of bein pissed off about it and intensive research that was my solution - and i never had a prob again- the blk viper site has a way to test if your open to these types of unsolicited messages. i tried the test (dos based- you dont have to d.l. anything- just key in what he tells ya) the test sends yourself a message just like the ones your getting from others- disable the messenger try the test again and the message "fails to reach recipient"

-see canada-paul's post above- i tried it on my XP system and its is very simple, quick, safe and easy- they're really arnt pop ups in the html sense so the ad-ware stuff may not do you anygood anyway

-jeff

Well, I have gone through and tweaked quite a bit of stuff, thanks to the viper site. I have other links but have been too damn busy to do any tweaking. Its snowing like a bitch here today so I thought what the hell.

Essentially I did what MBP2112 said, which is the same thing that canada-paul had said. So far so good.

I do still get popups (IE popups) with a little green dollar sign. If all of these tweaks don't work for me I will download a spyware killer.

I'm also printing out the tweaks incase I made a boo-boo and can't get back on the net :D.

Thanks again.

When I installed XP pro I started to get those same stupid pop ups. Most of them "Stop pop ups like these" messages. A friend showed me how to stop them. This is what I did: I went into the program files folder and changed the name of the windows messenger folder. Change it to anything, as long as it is different from what it is now. I guess the program can't find itself when the folder is renamed. Kind of a sloppy fix, but it worked like a charm.

yeah- the system tweak wont stop regular internet html pop-ups- but i dont think the "pop up stopper" software stops the messenger pop-ups- a spyware cleaning tool might be in order to stop the html stuff- ive never used one but iver heard good things

I've got XP and keep Messenger active much of the time. No pop-ups. So it must be coming from some other source.

Back