Anything Else?

VMattyV

I should be ordering my stuff tonight, and I don't want it to come and I can't record because im missing a cable or something. This is the Equip im getting:

Echo Mia MIDI PC Digital Audio Interface (New) $129.95 $129.95 In stock

ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp (Model 127) (New) $39.95 $39.95

Shure SM57 Cardioid Dynamic Microphone (New, SM57 LC, Without Cable) $89.95 $89.95

Will ship next day
Line6 GuitarPort Guitar/Computer Interface (Windows) (New) $99.95 $99.95

SignalFlex MIDI Cable (New, 6 Foot) $4.49 $4.49

What am I gonna need to connect the mic to the soundcard? Does it come with the soundcard?

you should have what you need, you'll need an XLR cable to run from your (condenser?) mic to your Preamp than either an instrument cable or another XLR to run from your pre to your interface.

i'm no pro like some of these guys in here but why not use the Gina's pres instead of a tube mp? they will probably be much better than the tube mp.

ECHO MIA?
Son, what age are you living in?

Those are a thing of the past, there are BETTER cards out there for the price.
The pre-amp is VERY low end, and to be honest, it blows donkey cock.
Where are your mons?
The lineport interface is low end as well.
Why not invest into something like.. a Motu Ultralite, E-Mu 1820M, Focusrite Saffire?

Bah, I have a low budget and I just want to make some home recordings. I'm not as serious as you guys on this stuff. I think this stuff will do it for me. If it doesn't then Ill just upgrade. I might take your advice on the preamp though. You say theres good preamps on the soundcard? I'd be glad to take $40 off the total cost. What kind of wire actually goes into the soundcard though? Its just gonna be Mic>Soundcard right?

Update: Aha! This is what im going to need:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=335209

correct?

Last edited:
XLR--> Gina-->PC

From what I calculated you have approx. $364.29 to spend.
I haven't heard the Gina but I own(ed) the Layla and can say it was very good but I don't know how it compares to the Gina. But I can almost gaurantee that the pre's on the Gina are waaay better than the tube MP, AllornothinEnt is right about that pre.

FWIW, I would look into a Delta 44 ($149) or Delta 66 ($189) they even have a refurb omni studio on MF for $179. For the pre a Studio Projects VTB1 ($99)and maybe a MXL 990 condenser mic ($69). If you do a search on these forums you will see a lot of people will highly reccomend the VTB1.

Delta 44 ($149)
VTB1 ($99)
990 ($69)
------------
$317.00

Again I am not a pro but I think that setup would be sufficient and if you need the extra inputs go with the 66. This is just a suggestion, as I learned do some research here on some of the items you plan on purchasing.

ez_willis said:
There's a joke in there, but I won't be the one to tell.

First of all, XD. Now on to business.

I've spent too much time researching this stuff and It's not going to change now =/ sorry. Now, about the preamp. Your saying if i JUst plug it straight in it will sound better? And speaking of plugging straight in. I'm pretty sure that card doesnt have an XLR port. It has 1/4'' ports. Which is why I was asking if I should get that adaptar.

2 - 1/4" TRS balanced inputs with 64x oversampling A/D converters

2 - 1/4" TRS balanced outputs with 128x oversampling D/A converters

Ok lol now, time for another set of questions. 1/4'' is the stantard instrument cable right? Now what does TRS stand for? And what is oversampling? And what are the converters for?

TRS = Tip Ring Sleeve http://fantomized.info/docs/tutorials/BALANCEDvsUNBALANCED.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=700662

That's that I was thinking of when responding, so no the Mia does not have any XLR inputs or onboard Pre's to my knowledge. If anything do stay away from the tube mp, I bought one a couple of years ago so I can speak from first hand experience that it's not worth it. But if quality or noise isn't a major issue then it's usable. It was my first preamp, and I just wanted to record very inexpensively also at that time I didn't know the difference between cheap and inexpensive gear and that's why I got it.

I'll let someone else touch on the converters and oversampling if they care to.

VMattyV said:
Ok... So whats a good preamp for cheap? And Im going to need that converter right?

I'm confused-
VMattyV said:
Echo Mia MIDI PC Digital Audio Interface (New) $129.95 $129.95 In stock

ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp (Model 127) (New) $39.95 $39.95

The Mia is your converter and the ART Tube is your preamp. Are you asking for something better, but still cheap?

Dude, come on.
VMattyV said:
Well yea, you guys say that preamp is shite, so Im asking for something better, but in the same price range.
ez_willis said:
There's already been a recommendation.
VMattyV said:
And what was the reccomendation? The GINA? Thats not even close to the same price range...
Gina isn't a pre, it's an interface/soundcard.

mentalattica said:
For the pre a Studio Projects VTB1 ($99)and maybe a MXL 990 condenser mic ($69). .

Back