Anyone want to take a crack at mastering this?

Wireneck

I had someone who was doing some "mastering" for my bands more recent demos. I have another song that is ready but I can't seem to contact the guy(email is no longer working). We've got some shows coming up and I would like to have some sampler discs ready. Anyhow this new track is low in volume and not as bright as the others. Im not really looking for a free pro master...I just want the track to sound ok in relation to the others in terms of volume/eq. If anyone would be interested in taking a crack at this for practice or out of sheer boredom...please let me know. I will post a yousendit and make it available.

You can hear a streamed MP3 at http://www.myspace.com/novumorganum

"3rd Movement"

Man, I have been so busy playing with electronics that I need to get back to doing some actual audio work. Lemme have a crack at this tonight :cool:

Heck, I'll take a stab at it - not much of a mastering engineer, but I'm dying to test fire the new control room. :D

Thanks guys...like I said before....I just need it to be a little more passable. Im working on getting the 2nd posted for comparison....though I think its a little too hot on the level.

Wireneck said:
Thanks guys...like I said before....I just need it to be a little more passable. Im working on getting the 2nd posted for comparison....though I think its a little too hot on the level.

Oopsy and I just tried to match that :o

That guy you had, he wasn't too bad at this :o

Mshillarious- I don't think the level was too over the top in comparison to most modern metal releases. It just seemed like on that particular track it was close to the point of things starting to sizzle a bit.
Thanks for making an attempt. Both of you.

Mshilarious- sounds pretty good to me....definitely brighter and more crisp. Thanks for working on this. I think its worth proceeding but that of course is up to you.

I have just tried to "master" it with izotope, just for practice. I don't have any expierience with mastering, but I think in comparison to the 1st and 2nd movements it doesn't sound too bad. I pumped it up pretty much and made it brighter, and I tried to compress the dynamics a little, but I don't know exactly how it works (yet). If there's something wrong with it, please tell me so I can improve my skills, thx. :)

YSI is uploading the wav now, so I'll post the link soon.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F084893144E94FFE

Jayarre, I took a listen and I'm not sure what's going on it but sounds like some sort of phasing... maybe parallel processing not lined up.

Last edited:
Here's my attempt... I tried to stay somewhat close to your other songs. I probably would have made it a bit airier otherwise.

3rd Movement

great tune... very OPETH like :cool:

kp-

Just for fun, I took a crack at it on my "office rig" which is a PC that I have installed Cool Edit Pro 2.0 on, a pair of JBL compact monitors and some so-so sony headphones. Probably butchered it, but wtf, it broke the boredom for a while :)

Thank you all for putting some time into this one. Mshilarious and GtrMan66, can I get waveforms from you ?

Wireneck said:
Thank you all for putting some time into this one. Mshilarious and GtrMan66, can I get waveforms from you ?

Sure, not a problem. It may take a while, the upload speed out of my location is hit and miss, so I'll let you know as soon as I have any luck.

Back