Anyone using an Aphex Aural Exciter?

faithmonster

Just curious.

This is the newest one with the "Big Bottom" feature.
There's one in a pawnshop in the next town. Price is
$80.00 (US), appears to be all there, box and manual
too. What does it do in real life and for that price, should
I buy it?

Faithmonster

Good for $80.00 but not $200.00 (that's new). Bought one & sent it back. Wasn't worth the 'suttle' effect. I play guitar/instrumental stuff & it just wasn't justified. They've been around for a long time so it could be old technology. But again, good for $80.00.

These days , with 24 bit digital recording, you don't REALLY need one, like you would've years ago recording to a cassette 4 track.

Still, I'd like to know how they work, in detail. Does anybody have any links on this? Just for kicks, I'd like to make one in my Modular. That way I could sell my Ultramizer. :)

Not bad for $80

Thanks everybody!

I went back in to check on it, the price was down to
$65. I offered $45. And it works.

It seems to be better with vocals or guitars- the effect
is really subtle, and the "Big Bottom" feature is a joke.
I play bass and as an enhancing device it is useless.

Virtual Ray, thanks for the idea. I'll look up BBE Sonic
Maximizers. And Ametth, you're right- a good source
makes all the difference. All in all I think I came out
good without getting hurt. And when I get tired of it
I have a buyer that wants it for what I paid, which is
fine by me.

Thanks once again!
Faithmonster

Exciters

I, too, prefer the BBE (462). However, I only use it on dull-sounding mixes to add a little "sparkle", and even then, VERY sparingly!

Hmmm. Now I'm really confused. I've been debating back and forth on the aphex, bbe, nady, and ultramizer pro. I thought I'd settled on the aphex but if the big bottom is a joke, I must rethink. Regebro, how bad is that ultramizer. Can it at least serve as a decent compressor? It's billed as having a fully fuctional compressor limiter. How's the Nady?

I would advise against the use of exciters...

...but if you insist on using one, then take some advice from my direct experiences back in my 4-track days...

I was creating a band's demo back then and being done in a 4-track format, the top end needed a bit of a lift... one of the band members had an Aphex Aural Exciter so we patched it in and it "seemed" to help... made the dupes and the band was happy -- UNTIL they played back the cuts on a mono-boombox. Comb-filtering and phase problems all over the place! In stereo it was fine, but as soon as the tracks were collapsed in mono - CRAPOLA!

The lesson, of course, is EXCITERS ARE BAD!! (No not really!) ...but they must be used sparingly and make sure you check your mixes in mono to ensure no weird anomalies occur because of it.

Bruce

Lets add those sonic maximizers to Bruce's verboten list unless you sum to mono as he suggests for checking phase and notch bugaboos.
By design,the BBEs are supposed to "time allign" your speakers (notice how the tweeters are fractionally closer to your ears) so the bass and treble signals arrive simultaniously and... what a load of crap!
I never observed the psycho-acoustic effect they claim,and it sure as hell made our mains feed back at lower levels when used live.

Tom

If you color the ends of a male 1/4" jack w/ a green permanent marker & then insert it into the exciter the result can produce a nice analog sound!

But really, a buddy just bought the Aphex 107 Tubessence & used it in the mix down. It sounds like crap, noise & hiss, no matter what adjustment is made. The unit has to be bad. I'm not impressed w/ Aphex, sound or quality.

Also, what's a good piece of equipment at a decent price that will 'warm' the signal of a guitar processor or direct unit (like the POD or GT-3)? If there is such a thing.

Please don't reply w/ .... a green permenant marker.

steveaustin said:
IAlso, what's a good piece of equipment at a decent price that will 'warm' the signal of a guitar processor or direct unit (like the POD or GT-3)? If there is such a thing.
A good mic connected to a good pre - positioned properly in front of a good amp!

Bruce
;)

Darn good point- one I hadn't thought of.

Thanks Bruce.

For the tip about playing back in mono. I tried that- and had the problems
you mentioned.

Interestingly enough, I mic'ed an alto sax and washed it thru the Aural Exciter.
It did precious little for the sound- same for soprano sax too. So I sold it and got
my $45 back.

It would be good to hear about Nady's products- the prices are great, but do they
work?

Thanks again!
Faithmonster

Back