Anyone use ESI interfaces?

Killadey

I'm in the process of putting together a remote recording 'studio' and im looking at interfaces. I see ESI do the U108 for around £300 and with 10 mic pres (2 can be used as hi-z) and phantom power - its very tempting.

I dont see much about them on forums or many demos on youtube. So, does anyone here use ESI interfaces?

How is latency, stability and audio quality?
Cheers

I'm in the process of putting together a remote recording 'studio' and im looking at interfaces. I see ESI do the U108 for around £300 and with 10 mic pres (2 can be used as hi-z) and phantom power - its very tempting.

I dont see much about them on forums or many demos on youtube. So, does anyone here use ESI interfaces?

Cheers
I had (still have it*) an ESI 1010e that I rigged in my 'studio' and it worked very well but my son, who is the musician and user could not get on with it. I therefore removed it and it sat under my telly for some years and ran sound from a nearby desktop. TWO channels! Total waste.

I had some difficulty getting the drivers working but the tech' at ESI was very helpful. I asked him about MIDI and latency..."Don't bother with that, not so good". A later unit might of course be better. Once setup the interface was very stable on W7 but I never did get to grips with the software patch bay!

*The rack now sits unused and unloved under a bench. Free to anyone who wants it. Must step n fetch it.

Dave.

Ahhh, it was the drivers that I was most concerned about. In that case i'll probably get the Tascam 16x08 or if I'm patient enough, maybe the Zoom L-20R! 😊

Thanks for your input Dave 👍

Cheers
The reason you don't hear much about them is they are crap.

Well after some more research, the Tascam and Zoom are now off my list. So i'll probably end up getting a Scarlett 18i20 and eventually expand it with an Octopre. I have the Solo and its served me pretty well over the last 5-6 years.

Seems like there not a lot of competition in the '8 pre's and affordable' bracket? I guess most people nowadays record on their own at home (can relate) and bands are now seen as old-fashioned (cant relate).
Saying that there does seem to be a punk renaissance going on (Idles, The Chats, Slaves, Fontaines DC etc). Anyway enough of me blabbering. As you were.

Well after some more research, the Tascam and Zoom are now off my list. So i'll probably end up getting a Scarlett 18i20 and eventually expand it with an Octopre. I have the Solo and its served me pretty well over the last 5-6 years.

Seems like there not a lot of competition in the '8 pre's and affordable' bracket? I guess most people nowadays record on their own at home (can relate) and bands are now seen as old-fashioned (cant relate).
Saying that there does seem to be a punk renaissance going on (Idles, The Chats, Slaves, Fontaines DC etc). Anyway enough of me blabbering. As you were.
True, and not much talked about on the ESI?
Behringer seems to be a good review at the bottom of cost.
Getting into Focusrite, MOTU, then upwared in $$$$$.
Ive had a 2009 8channel Line6UX8 but just noticed numerous channels are fading, low volume etc..one is about dead completely.
Can I complain when its 11 yrs old and cost about $150.?

I like the Behringer due to no software required and some of the misc, SPDIF out for a DAC headphone amp, A/B monitor switch.
Concerned about the 12V walwart a bit? The MOTU 8Pre and Focusrite 1820 seem to be deemed as higher end but they dont have some misc. things I want.

Ill probably keep my old one for now and just use the good channels until it dies off completely.

I offered someone $105 for a used $279 Behringer U-8channel....but Used these days with shipping and taxes and fees...its like $235 USED total? wth? While a Brand new free ship/warranty/ no tax , no fees, no unknowns... is only $279.

Or get a RME and pay on it for awhile? Spread it over years at 0%.... be done forever.🪦

Seems like there not a lot of competition in the '8 pre's and affordable' bracket?
I did some more searching on 8 channel rack mount interfaces too- US prices. Im thinking USB - C and I really might want the SPDIF I/O to add a DAC unit, extra set of Monitor Outputs would be cool. A/B sets..... prefer not having the "software interface stuff".
Would you buy a used interface?

Behringer Uphoria 1820 $279 USB 3 ...has a lot of functions, SPDIF , its hard to beat this one, imo.

Seems upward to $550 range several available. like the ESI U108
Tascam 16x8 $399..32 to 600ohm headphone amp...missing some extra's like SPDIF I/O
MIXER Types. TASCAM Model 12 mixer USB interface (looks fun & weird?) $599.

Presonus 1824C has the C-USB which is nice....and actually has headphones amps that can take up to 600 ohms. Has Digital I/O.Walwart +/-12v
$529

MOTU 8Pre has normal power AC cord, no wal wart, looks clean and straight up basics...
$549............. USB 3.0...no walwart

Focusrite...18i20 ver 3........ probably cant go wrong. (ver 2 might save some money).....seems it has about everything. No WalWart, no Headphone Amp specs mentioned so probably made for <100ohm....USB C

There is now a new range of Focusrite interfaces, the Clarett+ USB. New converter chips have resulted in improved distortion and dynamic range figures putting them up with the top 5 AIs on the market. You can read a review of the Clarett+8pre in the current issue of Sound on Sound.

Dave.

I see a few used ones $600 range, Clarett 8pre. Some Thunderbolt ability.
The Headphone Amp details are interesting to some wanting to upgrade headphones to 600ohm.

FOCUSRITE
- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen mains powered Scarlett interfaces (6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20) look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 250 ohms.

- For all Clarett Interfaces and Red (Thunderbolt) interfaces, headphones with impedances of up to 600 ohms will be fine.

Back