Anybody tried the new DP-01 ?

kesterdevine

I'm waiting for the reviews to start pouring in. Looks like a pretty cool digital option for folks like myself who are still in love with their cassette porta studios!

It looks easy enough to operate from what I have spied out of the manual.

A little lite in the input capabilities and only 16 bit sound but should be able to achieve decent results if your material is worthy in its performance and composition.

Remember; it's not so much what you record on but what you record that makes the biggest difference.

Cheers! :)

It's eye-catching, at first.

On closer inspection, The DP-01/FX reveals itself to be not as highly capable as the cassette Portastudios that we take for granted.

1) The DP-01/FX has only 2-inputs with literally no front-end input-mixing, no input-side EQ, or other capability. Just assign Input A OR B (individually) to any one track, or assign INPUTS A AND B simultaneously to two discrete tracks, but there's no facility to assign INPUTS A AND B simultaneously to ONE single track. (Input design a'la the Porta 02). On the DP-01FX model, you may engage an effects loop into the input chain, but that's pretty much "it" on input-side capability. The non-FX model has no input-side signal mixing or EQ, just two basic inputs, routed straight-in-to-tracks.

2) The DP-01/FX's EQ is intended for outbound signal processing only, (no input-side EQ at all). It is 2-band semi-parametric (sweepable) EQ, with the High/Low (cut-boost) knobs on the top panel mixer surface, (which is smart), but the actual sweepable frequencies are set by sub-menu, (which is not). These "EQ-sweep" frequencies are selected by fixed "set points", and are not "continuously variable" sweep EQ that you may be used to in the analog world. IMO, that's a cheesy half-assed EQ design, but YMMV.

3) The DP-01/FX only records 2-tracks simultaneously, max. That's a HUGE and common limitation in the field of modern 8-trackers. Pair that with NO INPUT-SIDE MIXING OR EQ, and it severely limits this unit's capabilities.

4) It's still largely a menu-driven box, despite it's outward appearance.

In my own analysis, the DP-01/FX is not as flexible or as powerful as your typical cassette Portastudio, such as the 424mkIII. It doesn't even come near the technical design of the 246, 464, 644, with their fully capable mixers and 4-simul recording onto 4-tracks, or much less near that of the 488, 488mkII or 688, which record 4, 4 & 8 tracks simultaneously (max), respecitively. ALL these cassette Portastudios have TONS of input-side mixing capability, in-the-box, which the DP-01/FX severely lacks.

Coming from an 8x8x2 mixing environment, with 8-simul-max recording onto 8-tracks, such as with the Tascam 388, the DP-01/FX does not impress me, in comparison. It's not all that. I am not inclined to get a DP-01/FX, for these reasons, above.

Even a Fostex FD-8 blows the DP-01 away, because the FD-8 has a more highly capable mixer, and will record 8-simul-max with an ADAT-I/O capable outboard mixer.

I'm sorry, I'm spoiled by the likes of the 488mkII and the 388.

The DP-01/FX has GLARING DEFICIENCIES, and does not compete on technical merit of design or user-capability, in comparison to almost any medium & high end cassette Portastudios you'd dare to compare it to. The DP-01/FX is literally CRUSHED by the likes of the 388, which almost goes without saying.

The DP-01/FX is WAY BETTER than the Porta 02, which is the best thing I can say about it, in a positive light.

As with anything, YMMV.

Last edited:
What a thoughtful post... Thanks Reel Person!

I've got 20 years of home recording experience and about 19 years of that was on a Porta 02, so hearing that it's "way better" than that is good news.

I'm a very song-driven musician and even after all these years , consider myself a "sound engineer" by neccesity only. I have good ears, good instincts and good songs. I simply long for a way to record that does not require shifting into left brain mode every couple of minutes.

I've been really wrestling with a newly purchased YamahaAW16G which has amazing sound and is so chocked full of features that I don't use and/or understand, and it's been VERY frustrating. I guess I'm just too right-brained for something with so many menus, and what i wouldn't give for some EQ and PAN knobs. I've gotten pretty good results, but it has not been done with ease - to say the least.

Most of the time I just think I'd be so much happier with something more straight forward. But it's very hard to trade only 2 simultaneous in's (versus 8) in exchange for useability. Especially being a drummer and also liking to record with other musicians.

I'm so torn!

Maybe what I really need is a mixing board and a 24 track hard drive recorder...hmmmm?? Well, since I can't really afford to go that route, I've gotta choose something more humble.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights and giving me so much food for thought.

~Kester

PS - I couldn't agree more when you say " Remember; it's not so much what you record on but what you record that makes the biggest difference."

Back