Anybody know anything about clarinets?

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
My dad found a really old ironwood clarinet (made in France) at an estate sale. He wants me to come by and look at it. He was wondering what it might be worth, since they haven't been made in something like 50 years.

Anybody have any idea?

My dad found a really old ironwood clarinet (made in France) at an estate sale. He wants me to come by and look at it. He was wondering what it might be worth, since they haven't been made in something like 50 years.

Anybody have any idea?

Given the information provided, no. Odds are fair it's a Buffet Crampon. Wood clarinets crack, and attachment points weaken. Take it to a retailer who sells clarinets or a craftsman who repairs them. It is extremely easy for neglected clarinets to become firewood.

Given the information provided, no. Odds are fair it's a Buffet Crampon. Wood clarinets crack, and attachment points weaken. Take it to a retailer who sells clarinets or a craftsman who repairs them. It is extremely easy for neglected clarinets to become firewood.

Seems to be a Noblet Normandy of some kind. Serial number indicates it's from 1964. The clarinet looks to be in very good condition, no wood cracks or anything that I could see. On the two shaft pieces there is a serial number, and a marking for Normandy. The marking for Normandy is also on the "bell".

That's about all I know.

age doesn't necessarily mean it's worth a lot.
massive numbers of clarinets were produced for students.

a woodwind repairer could tell you what it's worth - probably not much tho.
he'll also let you know if it needs springs or corks repaired.

find out what it worth first, an overhaul may cost more than it's value.

I found a really nice looking flute at a charity shop once, which turned out to be nothing at all when I showed it to a specoalist.

It's the same with guitars you know. Someone who knows nothing about them might be pretty impressed by the look of €100 Stagg guitar.

Back