anybody have a link for DAW set-up schematics?

turtlishous

seconds please!
i'm starting to find that mixing via mouse and hot-keys is rather tedious and inpersonal.

after reading thru some recent threads about adding an analog mixer to a DAW my intrest was peaked, but i did not understand how this can be done due to my limited knowledge of DAW recording.

is there a straight forward site link maybe or even someone here that would be able to walk thru the schematics of setting up a DAW with analog mixing, specifically what i willl need in-between my PC and mixer?

i have done a fair amount of searches here and over the net and found plenty of useful info on the subject, but feel lost on what i'm gonna need to make this happin.

what i have

PC w/o firewire (only 2 usb) and a mediocer soundcard
Samson MPL 2242 mixer

currently i have been transferring tracks via USB to my pc from a tascamDP-01 and think that if i can get this DAW figured out a little better i can lose the SIB. in turn making the process of recording and mixing more expedient. not to mention that the poor mixer has been collecting dust since my band has been gigless for about a month now.

thanks for givin this a read and if i have been to vague please let me know what info would help to answer this Q..

turtle

turtlishous said:
is there a straight forward site link maybe or even someone here that would be able to walk thru the schematics of setting up a DAW with analog mixing, specifically what i willl need in-between my PC and mixer?
There are many misunderstandings implied in just this one sentence.

First of all, just what are you referring to as a 'DAW'?

Second, what makes you think analog mixing will improve the sound, usability or performance of your system?

Third, with Tascam and Samson gear and a unnamed mediocre soundcard you will be limited by a lack of connectivity --- just the simple inputs and outputs --- that would form the core of what I think you're describing.

And what does 'lose the SIB' mean?

ssscientist said:
There are many misunderstandings implied in just this one sentence.

First of all, just what are you referring to as a 'DAW'?

Second, what makes you think analog mixing will improve the sound, usability or performance of your system?

Third, with Tascam and Samson gear and a unnamed mediocre soundcard you will be limited by a lack of connectivity --- just the simple inputs and outputs --- that would form the core of what I think you're describing.

And what does 'lose the SIB' mean?

first of all....i'm glad you replyed cuz you have been very helpful to other posters and i hope i can clearify for you what you ask.

DAW--digital Audio workstation? thats what i thought it meant ...am i off on this? in this i refer to my PC as i mention a few times thru-out.

second--i don't think it will be a better sound....i also mentioned that i was not into the hot-key and mouse end of mixing. although much of what i have read in searches have leaned toward the love of adding an analog "warmth" to a digital recording. not sure if i care either way. all in all i would like the hands on "feel" of a mixer.

third--do you know the spec for the samson MPL2242 in question? and i am not worried about the connectivity of the Tascam as this is what i am trying to get away from.....the SI(a)B (studio in a box)---tascam DP-01

so can you help me ?

Last edited:
SIB = 'studio in a box' - I missed that when I was mentally scrolling down my list of abbreviations - :D

If I get your meaning, you don't mind using the computer, it's the user interface using the mouse and keyboard that you'd like to get away from.

Maybe something like this would help without stretching your budget too much. I have the rotary version and have found it very good, easy to set up and quite reliable. I've used the fader version only once in a while, and there's a big gap in price between this and the next step up. A larger controller surface can be made by using two of these - either one fader and one rotary or two fader controllers.

If that's not the direction you were considering post again --- I'm not quite sure that we're connecting yet.

(edited)

i think this is pretty straight forward......what would go inbetween a PC and an analog mixer in the case of recording?

i don't care about brands or prices,,,,,these things i can find out myself....just need the basics.

ok did not relize that you are trying to figure this out.....thought you were gonna drop a line and move on to the next unwitting newb,,,,,much appologies!

as far as the interface goes,,,nope...i was hoping to find a way to incoorperate the mixer that i have now, which may or may not work....but what would i be looking for in a mixer to use in this way?

You say you have a mediocre soundcard and that's probably the best place to start.

Look at multi-input soundcards like the RME Multiface and the Presonus Firepod.

Don't be fooled by the price difference between the two - they are much closer in both sound quality and ease of use than one might be lead to believe. There are many happy Firepod users here, and I use it's smaller brother, the Firebox which you might have a look at as well. Mine has 4 inputs and 6 outputs where the Firepod has 8 inputs and 8 outputs.

Your mixer has 4 busses. Patch those into the soundcard and use the other inputs for single channel inputs on 'second click' channel inserts from channels not involved in the buss matrix.

Last edited:
i agree that a better card is in order, but i haven't a clue on what kind i need as i also do not know which direction i'm heading for outboard gear. kinda why i'm trying to figure out if i can use the mixer that i have now. i've looked at some items simular to those that you posted links to, and i'm just not sure that that's what i'm in the market for.?. would i use one of these to "loop" my mixer, or would that just give me more simultanious inputs?

i've been reading up on a/d/a converters but still haven't grasped the concept enough to make solid judgments on what i need.

have you got any oppinion on a soundcard? iv'e looked around at these and there are sooooo many different kinds and connections offered that i wonder were to start.

i would like to sell off the tascam and mixer if i knew that i was improving my situation, i just don't want to get stuck not being able to get anything done cuz i can't afford something that i overlooked during the transition.

How many tracks would you be recording at a time? If 8 is enough, what Scientist suggested would work fine. You would basically run from the Firepod(IE), to the mixer, from the mixer back into the firepod. Or just directly connect to the Firepod, but then in the future you won't be able to use "outboard" gear efficiently if you purchase some.

Mindset said:
but then in the future you won't be able to use "outboard" gear efficiently if you purchase some.

whys that?

this is the idea i'm leanin toward though...i would then be able to use a loop in the mixer to apply hardware fx right?

Well, in the studio, the TDM or HD systems (usually 3-4 systems) are say connected channel to channel to the patch bay to the SSL console (unless the studio connects mic to mic cable directly to a digital console which has the ability to route the signal anywhere you want first, like a patch bay but internal). Which when we start patching side chains, we are able to do it. When you have mic to interface, or whatever, using something like reverb as outboard gear is hard because Reverb's are used as sidechaining, and never inline. Inline being break the signal right at a certain point, route it to the reverb effects unit, and then into your interface, which is the incorrect way to patch in a reverbs unit. Also, using the mixer alongside a multi io interface, your able to send the wet reverb to another seperate channel, maybe panning the reverb out, instead of it sticking to the audio. I assume you know why you can't inline reverb's, or delays, or anything that suppose to be used in side chaining...

I attached a VERY simple picture of the signal chain. Which doesn't include EVERYTHING like the patch bay, mic, mic cable, floor channel, A/D converters, AA, etc... but It does show the signal chain of having a mixer verses not having a mixer.. When it hits the Mixer, your able to send the wet signal from say the effects unit along with the dry signal (which remains separate) to the interface via mixer. Basically hitting the patchbay/effects unit before the mixer sends out to the interface where it is tracked, and then playback would occur as seen, interface to mixer to power amp to speakers. The other method, just using the interface, you wouldn't be able to side chain, and whatever sound you record that goes inline into the effects unit, is changed there, with no turning back when it hits the interface. If it doesn't clear up anything for you, I can draw a better picture lol

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 46
to the unsigned neg rep--

i never said that i was after analog warmth, only that some sought after it....
although much of what i have read in searches have leaned toward the love of adding an analog "warmth" to a digital recording. not sure if i care either way. all in all i would like the hands on "feel" of a mixer.

you don't seem to grasp and understand what you've read. somthing that was tought in grade school......comprehension skills....heard of them?

heres the lame-ass neg rep that wasn't even signed...

Your posts are so hard to read because you can't spell or write a proper sentence. Also, if you think sticking a crappy mixer into your crappy system will give you "analog warmth", you are going to be sorely dissapointed

if you cared so much about my recordings...then why don't you try and be helpful insted of being a prick. this is why i ask questions.. live a little and try reading and ansewring a question befor you pretend to know anything about anything. dumb fuck!

SPL is Sound pressure level, which is basically sound, since sound is just vibrations in the air or whatever. The mixer kinda reminds me of the Mackie mixer, anyways, it should be fine for that type of application. It says that Aux 1 is fixed prefader, you probably use Aux 1 to feed headphones then. Also, I notice that y ou cannot bypass the EQ, which can be a problem. Unless I need to, I usually don't EQ first. You probably can just keep it flat and it be ok. Again, it should work somewhat well for the application you need it for. :o

thanks Mindset...i see what you mean by not wanting to Eq first....i had seen that being a prob too when i was reading the manual, but like you said i can just keep it flat and in turn would be just like a bypass. i relize its not the greatest mixer, but money is tight for me and i try to use everything i have to its fullest befor i start drooling over new gear.

well i have a pretty good idea what i need to make this work now. so untill the next newb question i bid you all a good night!

thanks!

Back